Getting a used pro saw: need some help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balog

Reaction score
I'll start by admitting that I'm a newb to chainsaws. Ironically, I moved to WA state to drive a log truck after I got my CDL, but that job didn't work out and I never entered the industry. I have friends who work for arborists, and I had a room mate who worked for a small independent logging company but I've never really done much cutting myself aside from very light chopping up small down trees for firewood.

However, I'm finally ready to step up and get a saw of my own, and start cutting. Just had a baby daughter and my wife quit her job to raise her, so we're looking for ways to economize. One of the bigger ones is getting the (thoroughly trashed) fireplace insert in our house up and running so we can start heating with wood. I'm thinking of putting in a stove in the garage and ducting it into the house as well. Who knows, if I can get my friend's in the industry to hook me up with enough opportunities to harvest trees to save them getting rid of them I could even sell a few cords a years to cover the cost of all that. What can I say, I'm an unrepentant capitalist. :biggrin:

I've just started researching, but I'm already leaning towards a used pro model saw. I grew up helping my dad work around the farm and we always had the cheapest crappiest tools he could find. Ever since then, I loathe trying to use poor quality tools; you always end up fighting the tool instead of doing the job. However, I don't exactly have a ton of money to throw around so... that leaves used older pro models off of Craig's List.

So I have two questions: what are some older but still quality and usable pro saws to watch for, and what should I look for when inspecting one to make sure it's in good running shape? I'm in the Seattle area (but will be making a trip to Phoenix this month) if that helps narrow down the local prices.

Check out the Auction/classifieds here

This don't look to bad here might try to get him down to $400.00 STIHL 044 chainsaw

The main thing to me on buying a used saw is being able to run it and cut with it before you make the purchase. Don't forget the smoke alarm when you get the stove going

Check your local home depots. They rent Makita 6400 saws (a blue dolmar) and sell them when they're a couple years old. You can get a 64cc pro saw for somewhere between $180 and $250. Best deal going for performance on a budget.

Check out the Auction/classifieds here

This don't look to bad here might try to get him down to $400.00 STIHL 044 chainsaw

The main thing to me on buying a used saw is being able to run it and cut with it before you make the purchase. Don't forget the smoke alarm when you get the stove going

I believe you are very unlikely to be ripped off by an AS member thats been on here for any length of time!.....................................:msp_biggrin:

I believe you are very unlikely to be ripped off by an AS member thats been on here for any length of time!.....................................:msp_biggrin:

Really??
I've been burned by 3 different members in the past year. This place is no different then buying on any other medium.

Check your local home depots. They rent Makita 6400 saws (a blue dolmar) and sell them when they're a couple years old. You can get a 64cc pro saw for somewhere between $180 and $250. Best deal going for performance on a budget.

They really go that cheap? That is indeed a good deal, assuming the saw is in good shape. But it can also be assumed that a rental unit has seen a great deal of abuse from people who know very little about chainsaws. It would have to be closely inspected by someone who really knows saws before purchasing it.

Stihl, Husky and Dolmar all have the followings here on AS, all are companies what make good high end equipment. I like the 6400 Home Depot option, however I would suggest you run that saw in big wood before purchase as if it's a rental it's been abused. If it wasn't showing its age they wouldn't be selling it. I would recommend a 50cc to anyone starting off around here, but our local wood is smaller than some and the trees i cut up are generally limby yard trees.

The saw runs how the saw was maintained, so look for lots of dirt in the cooling fins and around the flywheel, look for cracked parts and big drop damage. Look at the bar, it should be clean strait and have clean flat surfaces where the chain rides.

Check to make sure the chain brake, tensioner, starter rope/ recoil, throttle, choke, and oil pumps are working. Take the bar off and run the saw just a bit looking for a strong flow of oil for the pump operation.

Ummm air filter and spark plug are cheaper parts but still should be inspected as they are a big part of good maintenance, those are the nose and heartbeat of the saw so should be clean and healthy.

Good Luck

They really go that cheap? That is indeed a good deal, assuming the saw is in good shape. But it can also be assumed that a rental unit has seen a great deal of abuse from people who know very little about chainsaws. It would have to be closely inspected by someone who really knows saws before purchasing it.

They're inspected/fixed every time they're brought back in. Saws are the simplest fuel powered tools in existence--ain't exactly rocket surgery.

STIHL 026 and MS 260 - MS 361. These are the NUMBER 1 pro saws for firewood. Husqvarna saws are number 2

Don't start a "brand war" here - that will be of no help to the o. p......

First thing here is to establish about what size of saw he needs.

Another option are refurbished units. A lot are available from Husqvarna. You also get limited guarantee. As far as I have understood the reason is because Husqvarna sell's at big box stores and the homeowners seldom read and understand the booklet provided by the company.:D

Since you are only a firewood gatherer the semipro/farmer models will be more than sufficient if you can stand not owning a pro model. It would be more than sufficient and later on if you can sell some firewood you will have the funds for something better.

More important is to get that insert and chimney up to standard so you don't have any bad experiences!

Quick buying guide for used saws:

1. Trust your gut feeling! If it feels bad don't take it!
2. How does the exterior look like, top/both sides&bottom! well taken care of, etc. But don't be fooled in today's world with power washers that clean is cared for. (I remember a fellow here buy a clean saw, only to find out the inside of the saw was cleaned as well=> corrosion on the inside!)
3. Compression check, hold the saw by the starter rope, does it fall to the ground leave it there and leave without the saw. Does it hang => great compression!
3. take off the chain & bar, how does the chain brake look like? how do the studs for the bar look like? how does the bar and chain look like? (new bar and chain => why?), how does the chain tensioner look like?
4. take off the air filter cover. clean/dirty/abused
5. take out the spark plug. clean/dirty/abused/spark plug hole intact, use your flashlight to shin in the spark plug hole to check the cylinder, does it have good spark?
6. only now start the saw. how does it start from cold? does it idle well? does it run well? does it cut well(bring some wood along to check it out)? does it oil correctly/ do you get a nice spray? turn off and check how it starts hot! (some times defective coils are usable cold but inhibit starting when hot), check chain brake (just blip it and activate the chain brake)
7. turn off saw, anything extremely hot except the muffler?
8. expect problems, if you don't have experience and are not technically inclined either learn quick or expect to pay someone else.

Good luck,

Last edited:

Absolutely! Members all have to undergo an extensive background check and character reference before they're allowed to post here. We can't just allow anyone who has an email address and a love for chainsaws access here. Wouldn't be proper!

How much you lookin to spend? How much are you gonna be cuttin? Your being a vague about your chainsaw needs.

I prefer buying new. Looking for deals and being patient until I get a deal. That being said, I'd jump all over that Christmas deal Baileys has on the Makita 6421. $549 free UPS ground and a 4 pak of True Fuel is a nice sale. I have 2 saws in that category but I'm still tempted.

I've also seen some really good deals on Red Max saws on Ebay. GZ 5000 is the same saw as a Husky 353, Jonsered 2152, and I saw a few deals on them lately. There are good deals on used saws but I'd be real leary of shelling out big dough on used thats not in my hand that I can't cut with.

Also, if you're just a firewood cutter, I woudn't hesitate to buy the middle grade saws from Husky Stihl or Jonsered. I have a 2150 Jonsered that has cut a ton of firewood and never needed anything other than a sparkplug. Still runs strong but doesn't get used as much because dummy me had to go and geta 2152 Jonny, Then a 346 Husky.

The idea of going to your local Home Depot and get a used Mikita 6401 would be great. I am looking for one myself. After that I would prefer to buy new. Whichever you like Husky or Stihl, go try a few out and see what feels good to you and buy it. I can say if you want a good amount of power and a trouble free saw, go try a new Husky 550xp. Seriously good little saw!!

If you are on a budget, have worked on the farm and know your way around equip(can fix stuff yourself) i would look for a couple things, a Mac 10-10 because they are about the best all around saw, were sold by the millions, are easy and cheap to fix, and will last for decades and can be had for cheap, and a larger saw like a ProMac 700 or better something in the SP80-81 or PM800/850 or DE80 size with a 32" bar. The 10-10 maybe 18-20" . You can easily get both and be into your money making tools for prolly less than 500 ( I would bet way less) and you can spend the money you saved on gas, oil, files, some special tools to fix your saws and some spares even. If you are in the PNW and will be dealing in primarily softwoods, I would dress her saws with full skip chisel chain. Take a gander at the McCulloch sticky, and you will get a feel for what the old iron is all about. Nothing wrong with a newer saw, you definitely want a pro model, in have a 372XPW which I bought new, and about 10 other saws that I acquired for less than 200 total. About half of them are running now, and I have the rest to tinker with when I get a hankering to. All good saws with lots of potential.

I've bought quite a few.. most are wore out when they are up for sale... they don't haggle on price either. Three of the five i've picked up ran, but had bad bearings on the pto side. I've learned my lessons and stay away from those as you have said, most of those saws are rented by people who have no clue how to run or even think about maintaining a piece of equipment... most of the bearing failures were from burnt up pto seals...if I had to guess, runnning it with a dull chain until smoke appears.... buyer beware for sure... like I said,all of them ran.

there are a bunch of good members here that sell stuff and will stand behind them. I've got a couple i need to list in the classifieds. I have a couple dolmars, a couple huskies and a stihl or two.. After years of having way too many, I need to narrow it down to two or three...

They're inspected/fixed every time they're brought back in. Saws are the simplest fuel powered tools in existence--ain't exactly rocket surgery.

I wouldn't think that such inspections could be relied on in every store, regardless of what procedures may be in place. If you are doing it in your store, then there'd be no issue at all. But how many HD's have a guy with your knowledge available?

Latest posts

Back