Getting a used pro saw: need some help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used pro saw...HD

I was in my local Home Depot last week and asked the tool rental guys about getting one of their Makita 6401's when they get new ones. Always wondered why they rent em but don't sell em...silence. They said they get new one's from corporate whenever corporate thinks it's time...they have no input (this is the biggest HD around too). When I asked about price they said they sell them for half of the retail price when new but wouldn't give any specifics. (somehow I don't think they get them from Bailey's at $579 either). That's just kinda scary as I wouldn't know much about the innards of that saw or the actual price until they're replaced. Don't know if they'd let you remove the muffler or actually cut w/one if you were looking to buy it. But I don't think it takes long to sell them when they get new ones in either. Some of them might be just fine but ya never know w/o a serious hands-on inspection. They get lots of requests for those saws too. Suggested I check w/HD's in the area as each store seems to get them at different times. I think I'll just pass on their saws. I know a guy around here that builds saws and has excellent re-builts ready to go at pretty fair prices. Even he can't seem to get any fm HD and he's been trying for quite awhile.
If it were me and a first good saw I'd find a way to get one locally, find a friend w/saw experience I didn't have and get a size and brand I'd know I could find parts for. Or a new one at the best deal you can find. Then work on my sharpening skills and just cut.

Don't start a "brand war" here - that will be of no help to the o. p......

First thing here is to establish about what size of saw he needs.

Who are you..................what have you done with Saw Troll?

First off, thanks everyone for your comments. Secondly, is there a list somewhere of which models are which level for the various manufacturers? I looked on Stihl's website but it seems like they don't list some of the models I see talked about here a lot?

How much you lookin to spend? How much are you gonna be cuttin? Your being a vague about your chainsaw needs.

That's a really good question. I would like to be cutting at least say 10-20 cords a year, but it could easily be more or less depending on if I can find the wood to cut. So I can't be too much more specific about that. Price-wise, I could spend up to $400 but if I can get a quality saw for less that would certainly be ideal.

I would get on the phone to some saw shops up north and PA area and do some asking

Check CL in this area

There are always saw's for sale here in the PNW :msp_wink:

since you moved to washington state and have a cdl license.....

if you can jump up and down, scream and hollar, act like a total idiot.....

you could most likely get a job on one of the "ax men" crews.....

if ya do, please kick both of the rygards in the nuts for me !!!!!!
kick the old man twice, please ...

Don't start a "brand war" here - that will be of no help to the o. p......

First thing here is to establish about what size of saw he needs.

Another excellent point. 50cc seems like a good starting point, but I'm always open to bigger. :D Would a larger saw be difficult to control for a learner?

Another excellent point. 50cc seems like a good starting point, but I'm always open to bigger. :D Would a larger saw be difficult to control for a learner?

Sure, a bigger saw can be more to handle , but it also makes the job easier too.
Starting out with a 60cc saw isn't a bad idea. I've seen several guys mention the Makita rental saws at HD. I had one it was a DCS6400, they are about 64cc and can be had for cheap. HD is not supposed to sell them in bad shape, they are supposed to have been inspected and if it gives you a problem you can always bring it back to either have them fix it, or take it back for a refund.

Good first saw.

In your price range quite a few decent options open up.

1) new 50-60cc mid grade saw. Aka Stihl Farm Boss, Husky Rancher, Echo cs500 (semi pro)

2) used 50-60cc pro saw. 026, 260, 346xp. The Depot Makita and a bunch of others.

Any of these will be plenty of saw to put firewood in the stove for a long time. I like the new option best. Wouldn't be a bad idea to buy what you can get parts/service for locally. Being new to saws, a good dealer could be important.

I know you aren't into cheapie tools (I get it). But don't discard the Wild Thing option. They make great starter saws. Cut decent with a sharp chain. Way fit the budget. And if you make a newb mistake, it isn't $400+. After cutting your teeth on the Wild Thing, you'll better know what your needs are, then sell the WT, and get a keeper. Or keep it and get a bigger pro saw 60cc+.

Jonsered says it so on their website, that most first time chainsaw buyers buy too small, they say don't make that mistake, they say to buy a good sized saw. They have a buyers guide on their website...if you plan on cuttin 10-20 cord a year, i'd say 60cc and up, cause you never know what size wood you're going to run into. If you could find a decent looking stihl 036, 360, or 361, that's a good sized saw. My buddy has a stihl 036 pro and that saw has heated his home and shop for years upon years without fail. I think that my stihl 362 is the perfect firewood saw, but it's a tad expensive and still too new to find one used for a good price. But you might have more luck finding a 361 in your price range, I'm not sure what the prices are out that way in WA. Awhile back I had found some Stihl 460s (the Stihl 460 is a great classic saw, 70cc, you can run up to a 32" bar if necessary, I learned how to fell, limb and buck trees on one) that were going for $400-500, you can always try talking them down, and always go with cash in hand. While I'm on the topic of Stihl 046/460, you might want to look into a stihl 044/440. When there is an 0 in the front it means it's older and when the 0 is in the rear its newer. The older saws are great saws, so don't look past them. Being in WA, you might be able to find a 70cc loggers pro saw that was beat on but still spins the chain around the bar. dependable 70cc saws that are used in logging to look for: Husqvarna 372, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 046/460, 044/440/441...I learned on a 70cc saw, so there's no doubt that you can. I'm no expert in the chainsaw world, so I'm sure someone will be able to chime in and correct any of my errors I may have made, or saws I have left out. My main experiences have been with Stihl so I am somewhat partial to them, but I do own a Husky 346 and it's awesome. I believe that there is a 346 for sale in the trading post forum right as we speak, and its from a reputable member of AS that from what I can see is not out to do anybody no wrong. Good luck out in WA and on your quest for a saw, this is definitely the place to start.

Look around on ebay you can find echo 60 cc saws for around 400 bucks, model cs600p.

they will need to be richened beyond the factory H screw level turn out stop on the carb, involves removing the limiter caps.

All new saws, as far as I know, have either these limiter caps or actually are sealed up. EPA regs, but leads to running lean. tons of discussions on the site here with this issue, and most guys just work around that, to get a proper tune.

With that said, check out the auctions/trading post link, some deals to be had there in the 50 cc class. You could get into one of those and save out the extra 100 you have to spend and get some chaps at least. You really dont want to cut with out personal protection gear, chaps, tin hat or plastic helmet, ear muffs, proper boots, etc.

And find a nearby member and see if you can spend an afternoon cutting and learning some things.

And once you get into doing mass quantities of firewood, you will find out cutting is the easiest and fastest (and most likely cheapest...) part of the project and which saw is down the list a step or two in what is really important in the "standing whole tree in the woods" to "dry splits going into the firebox" process. Jump over to the firewood forum to get the skinny on all that. Cubic freeking miles of firewood have been cut with cheap old farmer class saws.

Latest posts

Back