Getting older, cut shorter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting to read the theories and practices others do with their OWB’s. I don’t have one but end up care taking a few places with them from time to time.
I just cut a guys wood for his, only cut the 8’ log twice.... so pieces are 32-40”(eyeball measuring) that boiler will take longer than 48.... no one up here splits boiler wood either. No one likes burning hardwood. They all want a mix of green and dry softwood. Green wood burns ‘longer’ they say.
I do agree with the smaller splits theory.... that’s the way my wood cook stove works best. When burning birch and pine at -40 ya need to figure out how to make it last! And easier on the body!
Here's how I am leaning on cutting for my OWB.
The fire box is 40" deep.So,I've decided to cut about 18" maximum and have two rows end to end where I can.The flue pipe comes down pretty low i the center.It does make more sawing but,when you get into our hardwoods here, trying to split a 36" plus length round would be quite a chore.Even my 3pt splitter maxes out about 20 to 22".
I tried to cut longer when I was younger and we still use our inside stove all the time but handling the shorter wood is nice.Especially since i still have to wheel barrow wood to the OWB.
That's what works for me and my equipment.Others may have a different idea.

Latest posts

Back