Getting paid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PurdueJoe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is it me or does it seem people are waiting longer write the check out these days? I still get have a decent amount that pay when the job is done and I understand some people only get paid once a month so I totally get having to wait 30 days but what do you guys do after that? I usually make a phone call call saying I checked the books and noticed I haven't received payment that works sometimes. If not then its another copy of the bill sent through certified mail with a letter saying if they do not pay with in 2 weeks time they will be subjected to legal action. Luckily, I haven't had anyone take it that far. My old boss and I were talking the other day and he had a 5k crane job go south because the owner filed bankruptcy. He ate a bunch on that job and handled it a lot better then I would have.

I feel your pain. A hotel owner I did some work for still owes. I'm thinking about issuing due dates on my invoices and assessing late fees after due date. Mabey that will be incentive for them to pay.

i had one guy that i removed 13 trees for and trimmed 6 more for, told him payment due upon completion...he comes up to me as we are getting done, and tells me he has to go to the bank. well we waited around and it was dark when we left. i called him for a few days after that with no answer, then i receive a letter from his lawyer stating that he has filed for bankruptcy...talked about mad...even to this day when i see him i salute him witht the one finger way cause i know he played me...guess if your in the game long enough you eventually will get burned by someone....but that 2500.00 still hurts

i called him for a few days after that with no answer, then i receive a letter from his lawyer stating that he has filed for bankruptcy...talked about mad...even to this day when i see him i salute him witht the one finger way cause i know he played me...guess if your in the game long enough you eventually will get burned by someone....but that 2500.00 still hurts

That was intentional, and you could have fought him in court (adversary proceeding) over it.
You don't ring up a debt the day (or the month) before filing BK and discharge it, it's fraud if you intended to BK the debt when you incurred it.

I'm wondering if you can still slap a mechanic's lien on the property. That would make his day.

Reminds me of a story my optician told me. Guy orders a $700 set of glasses (designer frames). Pays with a rubber check and then files BK. Comes back in a few months later for an adjustment. Optician takes the glasses back to the shop to work on them. Comes back out into the store area without the glasses and tells the customer to leave. Guy couldn't see to drive home, had to call his wife. Wife got there right after the cops did. Cops were there to arrest the guy for kiting a $700 check (felony).
At least your customer wasn't dumb enough to engage in Uttering and Publishing. $2500 worth of that would be a felony in any state.

Last edited:
After being stiffed a few times on payment, My contracts state payment at time of service/ completion. If no money no work (sorry company policy) It keeps everyone real and honest. WORKS FOR ME.:cheers:

Yah, I get paid at the time the job is done, on the spot. Cash or check, I am legit. No problems with that. Bad economy or no, no issues with payment lately.

Back