getting started for next season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sodbuster

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Here's a post oak that we cut down this evening. Didn't have time to start splitting it. That's 318firebug49 running the saw. Don't mind the gun on his hip. He just don't want anyone trying to steal our wood.

we have (3 of us) about 60 face cord allready cut and split for this fall. ILL most likely have 100 green unsplit that we wil start splitting in Late sept. it will take us till around thanksgiving to finnish it for fall 2009. Love it

some more

The sawdust on the ground is about the closest thing we get to snow on the ground.

After 20 minutes he had to stop to drink a beer. I guess his beer count in his blood was low.

That's a 36" bar to give you an idea of diameter.

He wouldn't let me run one of his saws, cause I run a Husky, so the only thing I could use was a camp axe. At least I could drink a beer while doing it.

We are going to try and get about 75 cords ready for this year. Hopefully more. We got to stay with it every week to get it done. We didn't have enough this past year and we lost out on a lot of money.

He usually has wherever he goes. We smelt a skunk when we got out of the truck and he was going to shoot it if he saw it. Plus for snakes. He's a little loco anyway.

Good looking 1911. I always carry one with me when cutting. Never know when it might come in handy.

He had some modifications done to it. You'll have to ask him what all he done to it. I did pop off a few rounds with it and it shoots sweet. Makes me want to chunk my 45 out in the woods.

Little fun

He had some modifications done to it. You'll have to ask him what all he done to it. I did pop off a few rounds with it and it shoots sweet. Makes me want to chunk my 45 out in the woods.

Titanium firing pin, trigger pull @ 1.5lb, had the loading ramp polished and tritium sights. Its a Kimber Tactical Custom II. Lots of fun to shoot. Been looking at a muzzle brake that they sell in Cheaper than dirt, it replaces the front bushing, might help a little on the muzzle lift for a follow up shot.

I never leave home without it............ ever........

around 1/8 of a mile from where we were sawing that day there was a "pot" field a few years back- two murders from a deal gone bad shut the field down but you never know what you are going to stuble across in the jungle we roam in... never hurts to be prepared- would rather have my longun (Mossberg 500) but it's to cumbersome to carry with a saw. We are also having a bad issue in the area right now with "meth labs", for the most part you do what you can to avoid them, but again- where we were was 1.5-2 miles from the closest house and accessible by road, easy target area for a meth lab to be built.

Don't let Sodbuster fool ya- he keeps a Glock 45 with him normally:)

Good looking 1911. I always carry one with me when cutting. Never know when it might come in handy.

I do if I remember at least in the Bobcat or truck, I went cutting at some property I have once and the far away neighbor had a pitbull come down while I was cutting, I turned and there it was, kinda spooked me, so I shut my saw down and was calling it to see if it was friendly. The dog ran up on my trailer and started sniffing my chainsaw case, and then started to piss on it, I yelled like hell at it and it basically ran at me, I didn't know what to think so I cautiously walked to my truck and grabbed my 44 and popped a round or two in the sky and it left. If I have another issue with it I will shoot it, I just hate to shoot a family pet, I wouldn't want someone to do that to me. But to be honest I don't have much use for pitbulls.

My wife was reading this and wanted to know what the hell a gun can do a chainsaw won't to a snake. HaHa I really didn't have an answer for that.

Well, I would rather shoot a snake than get my chainsaw in the dirt. :) That, and I'm not that brave to get that close to a snake to cut it with a chainsaw. I guess it would work if you had no choice.:chainsaw:

I only have 12 cords cut for next year, I have about 12 more I want to get done

I wish I "only" had 12 cord cut for next year. I have cut and split about 3 full cord and have another 2 cord cut and bucked but not split. Congrats you are making me feel downright lazy.

My wife was reading this and wanted to know what the hell a gun can do a chainsaw won't to a snake. HaHa I really didn't have an answer for that.

Does your chainsaw have a bar long enough to outreach a snake? 'Nuf said. ;-)

Does your chainsaw have a bar long enough to outreach a snake? 'Nuf said. ;-)

If I ever cross that bridge, I sure hope so. though I can't say I've seen one cutting, I guess not such a big deal around here. When I lived in Georgia, yes for sure.

:clap: One of the first things an old time logger told me was not to touch a snake with your saw. :chainsaw: He said the chain would pull it into you and it would bite you several times before it would die. :cry: Something to think about for sure.

I only have 3/4 cord cut for next year. I took the wife up and we cut today. Got into a patch of oak that burned a few years ago. All of the bark is falling off and its beautiful wood. Log size oak is hard to find in southern Utah and I found at least 50 cords.:clap: :clap: Now if I can find a bigger truck to haul it home with.

Back