Give me some advice before I start this project.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creaid

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Give me some advice before I start this project.....(UPDATED)

Attached is a wood rack I designed in cad. If you guys see any changes that need to be made, let me know. This rack will hold 2stacks, cut in 18" lengths. I will probably start this next weekend. Thanks

Last edited:
What are the two "orange" boards for on the bottom?

I would add some cross bracing on the sides and if possible on the back. That should really stiffen it up.

unless you have a good reason to have a flat roof i would pitch it one way or the other. flat roofs suck imo.

What are the two "orange" boards for on the bottom?

I would add some cross bracing on the sides and if possible on the back. That should really stiffen it up.

The orange boards were just for support. Think I should leave them off?

Attached is a wood rack I designed in cad. If you guys see any changes that need to be made, let me know. This rack will hold 2stacks, cut in 18" lengths. I will probably start this next weekend. Thanks

i'd paint it a different color.:givebeer:

I would put a gusset in each corner from the blue upright to the green cross piece. This will prevent it from leaning sideways and going out of square.

I agree with cjcon, just some 2x4 with plywood gussets would be strong enough I think if your only stacking 3-4' high. I dont think the roof will make a difference though

Whoops, I may have gotten my colors mixed up. I mean the two boards on the bottom, perpendicular to the 3 stringers. If you have just two in the middle, its not gonna sit evenly. Eithor remove them or add two to the ends as well.

This should be my last change. Let me know what you think.... (pics attached)

That looks good!

The lateral forces shouldn't be that strong so you could leave out the two center gussets on each end (i.e. a gusset in each of the 4 corners should be plenty).

Creaid,

If you use treated plywood, or tin, or paint on regular plywood, for the roof, what you have pictured will be around for a long, long time, and suffer the abuse of kids climbing all over it.

I've taken standard 48" pallets, laid two next to each other, and stood two up on the ends, nailed it together and added one cross tie to the back at the top, and stacked it full, lay some tin on the top, all done. Free.

You have more gussets than you need, four, at the corners is fine.
With your planning, it should turn out well.
:clap: :cheers:

It definitely looks sturdy, nice design. The only thing I could think of was to check your local requirements for height off the ground. If there is some minimum requirement it's easier to design that in before you start cutting up lumber.

Only thought of it because I just read a thread about this, the city was bugging someone to get their firewood off the ground. I got dinged once, they told me (AFTER I stacked it of course) that the ordinance was 18" off the ground "to keep rats out of the city." What a pain.

1) Run the 2x4's under the roof vertically, not flat like they appear to be. It will give the roof a lot more strength. (Any kids who willl think it is a fun thing to play on?) Otherwise it will begin to sag if you do not have a load of wood holding out the sides.
2) The 2x6's are not needed at the ends, you can use 2x4's. You would be better off running 2x6's under the roof from end to end if you are concerned about strength. (Kids?, sagging)
3) You can use 2x4's for the stringers. I'd make the center vertical a 4x4 (or pair of 2's nailed together if it is cheaper) Having the 2x stringers spaced in a little will be a lot more forgiving when stacking odd ball sizes of wood, instead of having to share the nominal 4" of a 4x between two stacks.
4) You can nail the green cross pieces as blocking in between the stringers. It does not need to go across the top.
5) X brace the ends also or turn two of the 4 angles 90 degrees, parallel with the ends, that will reduce front-back sway.

Last edited:
Back