Giving a Talk to Landlord Association

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckliff

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a week to come up with a 5 to 10 minute presentation for the local landlord association.
IDEAS?
Arborists & tree climbers - what would you like landlords to know about our work?
Thanks.

To used qualified companies to perform their work and why topping is not proper tree care? Just those 2 topics should be enough for a couple hours worth of presentation. I guess the hard part is not having it fall on deaf ears.

Talk about risk assessment for trees and the potential liability they can pose on a property. Don't make it a scare lecture but let them know yearly inspections can be a benefit for their bottom line.

It is what you have to offer the association.
You recognize their need for for tree care. They probably work on a yearly budget and look to get the most pounds for the least amount of money.
You give them an inventory of their trees and locations and set priorities over a three year plan showing them the numbers of each year (ie.,,removals, hazards, pedestrian traffic, 24 hour service, certified arb on the job,,,, etc.).
Be likeable, relax, just try to give them more than the company with the lowest bid.
Jeff

You can also talk about how the trees fit into the overall landscaping scheme.

Depending on the species, you can talk about the need for fertilization. In a lot of the complexes we work with, the trees are stuffed into areas with little growing area which can quickly become depleted of nutrients. Trees are like humans and need food.

Again depending on species, if there are aphid problems you can talk about various ways of combating that, ie soap spray, ladybugs.

I've had to talk to condo associations before. You get absentee landlords who don't really care about how it looks and only worried about how much it will cost. You also get people who like it to look nice but are ambivalent about how it happens and then you get the tree huggers. You're really aiming at the middle group. Really emphasize how trees add value to their property.

Try to avoid issues like trees planted on top of the parking garage breaking the membrane and causing leaks onto the cars below.

Have the organizer send out request for questions looking for answers. So you have focus for the general interests and you can prepare a handout for the most commonly requested info

In what alternate reality did you manage to get a bunch of landlords to listen to stuff about trees?
Hey, I really appreciate all the input. I realize we all deal with our share of "slum"lords. I was asked by a friend from church, and hopefully these guys (& gals?) are above average types. :)

Latest posts

Back