Glorious day of wood cutting!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
. AS Supporting Member.
I asked a farmer friend of mine if I could go into his woods and get the two dead Oak trees I had seen in his 20 acres of woods. He said I could cut anything I wanted, but to try not to cut anything living. I said I'd probably need to cut a little road into there to get the lawn tractor and trailer in there, and he said that was fine.
So, my neighbor Aaron and I went in there and found not two, not four, not ten, but at least 30 hardwood trees for firewood! Oak!! Ash!! Elm!! Cherry!! Unknown!! And it was all mine! ALL MINE!!! (My precious!) There were many trees that were down and beyond burning, but many that were still standing and recently dead, and a few, like in this photo:
attachment.php

See the darker tree? It's about a foot off the ground. the root system was still attached, the middle was setting on another downed tree, and the other end wedged between two smaller trees. The whole thing was suspended off the ground at the perfect height. What's more, when I got to sawing it off in rounds, I discovered that the roots were still attached in the ground well enough that it kept a good 20 feet of the tree in that same position once I cut past the middle where it was resting on another tree. Here's a pic of the last 8 feet or so.
attachment.php

Since we had to cut our little logging roads to the many different trees, we didn't have the time to get a good big load, but if the weather holds, Monday will be another glorious day! I have a new truck and 12' trailer, and I'm anxious to see how full I can get them loaded.
Here's a pic of a load of (oak, I think) ready to head to the bigger trailer.
attachment.php

It was a glorious day. What's more, Aaron and I didn't spill each other's drinks! I don't think we've gone cutting ONCE without me spilling his coffee or him spilling my juice. I didn't even get the 'stache caught in any machinery this time. Man, was that a good day!

Beefie

Beefie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Good score unclemoustache. Very interesing that you don't take the deck of the lawn tractor, is that so you can mow the trails, or so that you can find your way back out. Sorry could not resist:hmm3grin2orange:

Beefie

wdchuck

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
That's the same setup I use around here, and the deck does offer some extra weight for traction and steering, although mine wears chains for trailer pulling.

Very nice woodlot to work in and good farmer friend too.

You'll be warm next winter.

iCreek

iCreek

ArboristSite Guru
Great score, I bet if you stack the limbs into brush piles, clean up after yourself, you got a wood lot for life.

Looks like cherry to me also, at least that is what I was told when I cut them here in Missouri.

dingeryote

dingeryote

Blueberry Baron
in the front of the one pic. is sassafras.

Yup!

Perfect sized for single splits that whooof up the firebox to a proper burn in 5Min.

I'll bet if Unk Stache ask nicely, the farmer will let him cut out ANY and all standing Sassafrass.;)

All in all a great SCORE!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

RVALUE

RVALUE

Addicted to ArboristSite
Fwiw

I have some old, been down a long time, stumps and burls in my wettish woods that have resisted rot for a long time. I think they may be cherry. I never considered cherry a rot resistant wood, anyone had similar experiences?

dingeryote

dingeryote

Blueberry Baron
I have some old, been down a long time, stumps and burls in my wettish woods that have resisted rot for a long time. I think they may be cherry. I never considered cherry a rot resistant wood, anyone had similar experiences?

Black cherry goes to Pooch in two seasons here if it has ground contact.
You can tear three year old stumps apart with an axe.

Wierd.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
. AS Supporting Member.
Good score unclemoustache. Very interesing that you don't take the deck of the lawn tractor, is that so you can mow the trails, or so that you can find your way back out. Sorry could not resist:hmm3grin2orange:Beefie

Beefie, it's none of your darn business how easily I get lost in the woods. :dizzy: :laugh:

Great score, I bet if you stack the limbs into brush piles, clean up after yourself, you got a wood lot for life.

Yes, I always clean up after myself. (Well, at least I do that outside of my house. My wife could offer some interesting words on my ability to clean up after myself while inside.) I gave a few packs of pork chops, liver and other meats to the landowner. I'm definately going to stay on his good side!! There's a few sick trees that will need to be cut in the next few years.

Looks like a day well spent. Pretty good load for the lawn tractor. How far did you have to haul it?

Only about 50 yards as the crow flies, but because of the winding path we made to avoid cutting anything living, it's probably closer to 200. It's all flat, so it's not hard for the lawn tractor.

I took the family out there yesterday, and let the 3 older kids learn how to drive the tractor while the rest of us rode on the trailer. I can't wait until my kids are big enough to help with the heavier work. That's the main reason I've got so many! (wife is expecting #7)

woodbooga

woodbooga

cords of mystic memory
Black cherry goes to Pooch in two seasons here if it has ground contact.
You can tear three year old stumps apart with an axe.

Wierd.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

We've got 2 kinds of cherry that are prevalent up my way - one looks like what's in the pic in the OP, and another kind that looks like this (pin cherry):
pin-cherry-bark-400.jpg

That pin cherry's as useless as birch after a couple years.

But (I think black) cherry's got legs. It rots like red oak. The sapwood gets punky-fluffy in a relatively short time - but the heartwood stays good for a long, long time.

Also like red oak, you also get good heart/sapwood definition in the fresh cut rounds.

Sassafrass doesn't grow in our area, so I can't rule it out. But if it is sass, then that species sure looks like the cherry I've handled.

Latest posts