Gloves Didn't Help At All

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guy saved by gloves..

hi guys, another sawyer I trained, got protective gloves instead of regular gloves, because i set a good example by using them.

The agency we volunteer at requires gloves, but not saw gloves. He got bit in the back of the left hand when he was reaching to push the brake on and hit a branch and got kickback.

FWIU he hit the piece he was bucking as the saw wobbled and the kickbacck hit him in the protective stuff and stopped the chain.

NEVER EVER EVER put the brake on with your hand by taking a hand off the saw!!!

Rotate your left wrist and your wrist sort of bumps the brake and puts it on.

I still cant get my agency to make this a formal procedure, I ahve NEVER found a need to remove my hand to put the brake on.

But then my hands are not small. Not HUGE, but not small.

how about if you take a hand off the saw and reach around the thing you take your finger off the trigger......

If you have the habit of hitting the break with your throttle hand, check yourself out and see if you are waiting to the saw to throttle down first. I've seen many people (not me, of course, never me!) have fingers pass in front of the break lever and come close to a moving chain.

I have it as a rule, and close to a habit, to knuckle the break lever if my hand comes off the throttle

Saw gloves, A Pic? from me= LOL?

Sorry I am still learning computer photos and all.

So, here is the url to the add for them at Baileys online.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=13030&catID=

When I replace them it will be with gloves or mittens from either stihl or husky.

I am plesed with my shoulder/arm protective shirt from stihl, although I have not yet worn it in temps over 85. Our summer work is always over 95 and usually around 100-105.

I have dropped 50 lbs in pursuit if the ability to wear the shoulder protection with no loss of ability to work in the heat. i will see what happens.

I use youngstown gloves the ones with the thumb and first 2 fingers are "fingerless" and the palm and knuckles are kevlar reinforsed, great comfort and semi protection, also allows easy knot tieing and regular use of fingers, i think they are carpenters gloves.

Latest posts

Back