Gloves for handling firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well fry my hide that is a wicked excellent idea...I'm gonna start trying that asap. Thanks for the tip Scott.

Another glove I tend to forget about.

Rubber gloves when it's wet out. Years ago I got a parasitic invasion between my fingers I thought was poison ivy...when on sick call at the VA and the nurse said I had mites and gave me a cream containing a pesticide that locked down those mites.

I got it working in the swamp picking up wet wood. Since then if it's wet out I wear rubber gloves.

Earlier today when it stopped raining I went out with the ATV and was hauling dead trees to the log pile and cause it was wet I was wearing the rubber gloves. Occasionally you have to clean 'em up in a puddle but they're great for working in this weather.

Got about 4-5 days of wood in less than 3hrs....SCORE! If it stops raining again I'm heading out again... forgot how productive the ATV was in the rain.

Something I discovered this summer by accident was that putting your fingertips into a tub of pruning seal and then rubbing it into the fabric it rubberizes and keeps the fingertip viable…it gets kind of smooth and only looks better if the glove palms are already black but it holds.

===

I guess it depends on the type and amount of wood you handling.. I'll give the pig skins a try before I pop $40 for a pair of the Hexarmor one...

I burn 4-6 cords for a season, mostly big oak rounds, here. I do a lot of shoving wood around, plus the usual stacking.

Hey Scott I've duct taped 3 pairs of gloves since reading that tip and am very pleased with the result. WOOOOHOOO! I'm saving coin.

I can't believe there's 5 pages of talk about gloves for wood.. honestly.. As long as I'm not using my hands I'm all good.. I use thin single layer glove in the summer/fall and insulated in the winter/sping.. they wear out I buy new ones..

Back