Gloves for handling firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I duct tape the fingers when they wear out. You would not believe how long the duct tape lasts. I cut the tape in 1/4 in wide long strips. Then just wrap it up. It makes you look poor but you can save quite a few bucks. When splitting I'll go through a pair a day of cheaper gloves.

Scott

I don't get splinters in my fingers when I use white cotton gloves (White Ox).

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=13005+DZ&catID=1061

13005_DZ_L.jpg

I duct tape the fingers when they wear out. You would not believe how long the duct tape lasts. ... ...Scott

well fry my hide that is a wicked excellent idea...I'm gonna start trying that asap. Thanks for the tip Scott.

Another glove I tend to forget about.

Rubber gloves when it's wet out. Years ago I got a parasitic invasion between my fingers I thought was poison ivy...when on sick call at the VA and the nurse said I had mites and gave me a cream containing a pesticide that locked down those mites.

I got it working in the swamp picking up wet wood. Since then if it's wet out I wear rubber gloves.

Earlier today when it stopped raining I went out with the ATV and was hauling dead trees to the log pile and cause it was wet I was wearing the rubber gloves. Occasionally you have to clean 'em up in a puddle but they're great for working in this weather.

Got about 4-5 days of wood in less than 3hrs....SCORE! If it stops raining again I'm heading out again... forgot how productive the ATV was in the rain.

well fry my hide that is a wicked excellent idea...I'm gonna start trying that asap. Thanks for the tip Scott.

Make sure the glove is on your hand when you tape it. Otherwise you can make the finger to small. It makes it easier if someone else does it for you. dad and I usually tape each other up when we start working.

Scott

I may have to try these pigskin gloves though. They look like the dogs ballacks.

I think you'll like them. And they don't cost an arm and a leg, so it's not painful to give them a try. They're cheaper than the ordinary leather gloves you get at the big box or farm store.

Actually, I just saw a pair of what looked like the same thing at our local co-op, but they cost about two bucks more than Northern's price.

Google this:

Dyneema gloves

These gloves are amazing for firewood. They are very thin cut resistant gloves. Not the best for cold weather but amazing work gloves for just about any job that requires gloves.

==========

Looks interesting, where do you buy them????

I go through Wells Lamont gloves at a rate of a pair a month. Spendy.

That's how I do it. Not spendy though. They stock em by the case at work. I prefer the insulated ones for winter and for loading the stove.

Sam's club. Leather work glove and when it is cold add a brown jersey glove inside.:biggrinbounce2:

I use whatever cheap leather glove I can find. I have also had great longevity out of the yellow/orange knit gloves with the rubber net pattern on them. $2 at the local food store. Northern has them #8486 for $1.59 ea in my summer catalog. They wear really well but they are not impervious to splinters being knit gloves.

I have wanted to try the cut resistent kevlar gloves with the rubber palms but haven't ordered any yet.

Don

==========

Looks interesting, where do you buy them????

I get them from a buddy who works in a warehouse. They are 85%
Dyneema and 15% polyester. Not sure where to buy but I guarantee they are worth looking for. They dont wear out like leather.

Sam's club. Leather work glove and when it is cold add a brown jersey glove inside.:biggrinbounce2:

Thats it exactly. As often as gloves are torn up and lost, why spend a bunch. The cheap ones serve the same purpose.

I need leather gloves

I can't handle or split firewood too much without leather gloves. However, I generally prefer to run a chainsaw without gloves. Have more feel with the saw. The only real good leather gloves I have used are the Wells Lamont mule hide for about $10-12 dollars and could find them at Walmart etc. Sadly, I haven't been able to find these lately. The Wells Lamont mulehide now I find are cheaper $4-5. and don't last very long. All other brand leather gloves I have found don't last long either. Also, with leather gloves you can't get them really wet because they loose their softness. I put some needsfoot oil on them but they still are too stiff. Anyway , if you can get by without wearing gloves doing firewood you are one tough hombre.

gotta get me some of these spectra gloves!

Google this:

Dyneema gloves

These gloves are amazing for firewood. They are very thin cut resistant gloves. Not the best for cold weather but amazing work gloves for just about any job that requires gloves.

Latest posts

Back