gloves......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gloves.......

• yes, on ascent, while working in the tree and on descent

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • on ascent or descent

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • only when it's cold

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • never.... suck it up wimp!

Votes: 7 15.9%

• Total voters
Re: Welding gloves for chipper feeding. They are probable a rotten idea for use with the chippers most of you are using. They work well for my application-small disc style chipper without feed rollers. It is a non snatcher- just barely more than gravity fed.

Climbing gloves

I like the cotton gloves that look like the palm side has been pressed into liquid rubber. Sherrill calls them Ugli Gloves. I like them for about 20 reasons, but I'll list just a few. They fit my hands tightly, sweat evaporates off the top side, they're cheap enough (where I buy them) that I purchase a case at a time (20 dozen) and since I've got 5 or 6 pair active at all times, I can ALWAYS find the right handed glove. They grip limbs, branches and rope EXTREMELY well, and grip a wet rope even better. If they get really filthy or wet, you throw em on the truck floor and grab a new pair. You can change the FM station on your radio headset, dial your cell phone and tie your shoes without taking them off. Amazing dexterity in working with autolock caribiners, even the Petzl William and Attache ball-locks. They can go through the wash ONCE (and air-dried) and reused before they're history. The top-wrist part is a convenient snot-wiper. They come in Green, Smurf-blue and red. Am I up to 20 yet? You DO have to keep them out of your rappell device. This is my first post... or is this a thread.... wait, it's a reply. I'm glad to finally be part of this fine establishment amongst such an active and sharing group of professionals. Be patient with me, I'm a newbie member to this site. The Tree Machine has spoken.

You're off to a good start. A common hurdle for some new people has been to write in coherent sentences. I think you've got a handle on that! ;)

Nickrosis

~Because you can't have too much dead tissue laying around~

Summer or winter alike, I use them all the time...
gloves.jpg

Sergio

Originally posted by trees4life
Anyone using ballistic gloves? This is becoming an issue around here. The H&S Act says you have to wear protective equipment, but does not specify ballistic pants or gloves. Pants are mandatory, but gloves aren't at this point. Does anyone know if there are ballistic gloves with a tight cuff? I've only seen the gauntlet style.

We have to use these with chainsaws on the ground. The protection bit is a square on the back of the left hand, but I can't imagine that has ever protected anyone in recent years. However, we still have to fork out 5 times as much for special chainsaw gloves. We don't have to wear them in the tree, even when using a saw. I've hardly ever used gloves to climb, as I find they get in the way. For ground work, I use Husqvarna gloves - not gauntlets - lots of sizes, and there's a velcro strap type thing to pull tight around your wrist. They're comfortable, and not so thick that you can't feel what you're doing

Guys, my wife insists that I talk to you about gloves from a FEMALE perspective; that is, when your sweetheart is on the tactile end of those working hands. When she says, "Gee your hands are really rough" , what she's THINKING is "You are NOT touching me with those things tonight, Mister." This, alone, is enough to keep me wearing my wonder gloves all day long.

Ok, I like girls, Kevin. Cracked, chapped hands with inch-thick callusses don't have to be a badge of honor. The badge of honor should be going home, maybe sore, but uninjured, fat paycheck in hand and knowing you did world-class tree care. I used to wear gloves less back in the day when I was wearing leather because at 5 or 7 bucks a pair, I'd only buy one pair at a time. If I couldn't find the right handed glove, I'd pitch the left in the truck and climb. Without gloves, a ten or 12 hour day would just hurt me bad. wearing wonder gloves, I can do a ten-hour, as like today, and still be able to come home and have my hands pass inspection.

Originally posted by Tree Machine
When she says, "Gee your hands are really rough" , what she's THINKING is "You are NOT touching me with those things tonight, Mister." This, alone, is enough to keep me wearing my wonder gloves all day long.

The only thing rougher than my hands are the girls I go out with :D

Acer, you need to e-mail me your mailing address. I'm going to send you a few pair because it would do my heart well knowing that softer women would go out with you.

Rubberized Wonder Gloves

I worked in a light rain yesterday. It was kinda cold. I was warm except for when the hands got totally soaked. With a dozen pair of Wondergloves lying around (so that I can always find that dang right hand glove), I just grab another pair. Because of the rain circumstances, I rooted around on the floorboards to find the eldest pair because once THEY were soaked, it was the trash for them.... a fitting end to their service. The nice thing about these gloves, aside from that they're CHEAP, is they grip really well, even when they're wet. If you keep a bunch around, there's always a dry pair, and you're not concerned with economics when you toss em. Whenever I'm about to enter a really technical tree, I treat myself to a new pair. If I have a helper, I give him a new pair with the letter to his first name inked on the cotton side. They are his to keep, and his reponsibility keep track of.

That is why I like the yellow ones Sergio pictured, there is no left or right, one wears out, that is all you pitch, no sorting out of the dryer, they all go into one bag.

I use them jut about everywhere except climbing. I haven't found a pair of gloves yet that give me the same grip on trees that my skin does. I use leather gloves with a low cuff that I get for about $1.25 a pair from a local supply shop.

Forgive me, for I was cocky....

It was the second day of the TCI Expo and my wife was badgering and trash talking me into doing one of these competitions that were put on for the involvement of the attendees. We we going by the belayed speedclimb for the third or forth time, and she starts trashing me again, "C'mon wussie-Boy. You know you can roast those guys! You should climb that rope for my honor, and my glory."

My advice to you is, don't bring your wife to TCI.

So anyway, I got signed up, and you get matched up with another climber to sort of race, y'know? The climber I'm matched against was last year's female world champion, from Germany, Ohh, my wife continued the ribbing, "You should be a man, and let her win. Be the gentleman. Show some foreign diplomacy and tact. Don't steal her thunder..."

Remember what I said about not bringing your wife.....? Double that.

So it's our turn. I am truly honored to meet this climber and almost feel bad that I'm about to leave her in the dust. I give her a big international hug. Then I put on my blue rubberized wondergloves and start rigging my prussik. I heard someonoe in the audience, said, "Hey, heh, that dude's wearing gloves". I appeared not to even hear it. Slowly, kinda like a sloth, I pulled my way up the rope, just so my feet were a few feet off the floor. Then I let one hand fall to the side, body motionless, gripping the doubled rope and hanging by one hand. I hung there for a few seconds, checking out the looks on the faces of the crowd, released just so, and came slowly back to the floor. Then I toasted the German chick.;)

These are advertised as footlocking gloves.

The 4th ones down on this page from Drayer. handschuhe = gloves.

Any clue what they are?? Fuzzy pic. Save time and hit the jpeg instead of the drayer homepage

Footlockhandschuhe SAHA 400

Mit verstärkter Grifffläche

Größe S SAHA 408

Größe M SAHA 409

Größe L SAHA 410

alle Größen:

was at www.drayer.de

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back