gloves......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gloves.......

• yes, on ascent, while working in the tree and on descent

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • on ascent or descent

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • only when it's cold

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • never.... suck it up wimp!

Votes: 7 15.9%

• Total voters
Just wanted to thank you all for the info on the 'wonder gloves'. After reading the recommendations here, I called them a few weeks ago, got a sample pair (asked for 'medium', she said the usually automatically send out 'large')...got them a few days later...used them a couple days for 'chores', unloaded a trailer of firewood with them, and today did some cutting (and loading) and they were great! I normally start out with leather gloves, but find myself leaving them in the truck after a while. Never even thought of taking these off.

I'd have to say the first time using them was a bit uncomfortable...the wrist elastic was a bit irritating...but that seemed to smooth out after a bit.

I'll be placing an order, thanks. Che

gloves

never liked them for the climbing however the hushpuppies are great for gmen and wood handling, firewood, and uni-directional hand fit. Nothing beats good tight "driving golves" out of pig skin or maybe deer or elk for roping work...just don't get em caught in all the new mountain climbing gizmos so popular today. Tell your chipper man nothing but the tight cuffed elastics!!!!

Rubberized cotton, under a buck.

I've used Wondergloves now, coming up on 4 years. I remember it because I discovered them when I was going up to Bandit Industries to pick up my first chipper, brand new with a few custom mods. Life was good.

While heading up to Michigan I stopped at one of those state-line, highway stores and the signs say TARPS! TOOLS! GLOVES!

Well, I love these places. And they pretty much love me. "HeyyyyyYYY, Its THE TREEGUY!" These places are like Harbor Freight, only it's all there in front of you. An acre of tools and items and accessory gear. There's an entire area, just for gloves,.... womens gloves, men's gloves, industrial gloves, gardening gloves, cotton, rubber, gauntlet, tight-cuffed, I mean it's like a glove smorgasbord, OK?

Let the buyer beware, in there, but good deals are to be had. The variety just can't be beat. Severel seasons of visiting that side-of-the-road, glove smorgasboard, I was on a glove 'journey'. I was a glove taste-tester. I would buy a dozen at a time on anything I tried and got home, went back to work and field tested- and gave a lot of them away to get feedback. But I got my first dozen Wondergloves on my way up north, and on my way back I bought another 4 dozen.

Back then they were only green. Now you can get the 'blendered smurf' color. They make red, but a photo of the crew wearing red, it just looked like, well, like severed hands. I use just green and smurf.

You go to http://wondergloves.com/ You do the math. It's kinda like the difference between beer nuts and deer nuts. Beer nuts cost a dollar -25. Deer nuts are under a buck. If you can get a pair of rubberized gloves under a buck, then you should just grab em'.

If you don't like these gloves for climbing, you probably have not tried them. Unlike leather gloves which you take off to grip the rope better, these you put on to grip better, much better.
Tree Machine gave me a pair of his wonder gloves at TCI, thank you by the way, and they were not as comfortable as those sold by Sherrill, but lasted a little longer. Sherrill's gloves have a softer feeling rubber which looks to be dipped on, and TM's gloves the rubber is a bit harder and seems sprayed on.
For economy, TM's 77 cent gloves are great, for performace, Sherrill's $5 gloves are great.
It's already getting too cold for either up here, today's wind chill is pushing 0. Tom D's area looks really cold.

Thanks rbtree,

I'd really prefer a cuff like that...if it held snug...and...the rest of the glove fit and conformed as well as the wondergloves did.

The first time I was using them (the wondergloves) I remember going down and picking up the mail while still wearing them and noted that I could easily flip through the envelopes with them on! I'm curious to see how they feel in the 'close to zero' temps.

My parents live a couple miles up from Northern Tools...formerly Northern Hydraulics, I believe one of their first stores. I'll send them down to pick me up a pair to try. Che

You're welcome, Mike, and I'm glad we could meet at TCI. Yes, the TM gloves (alone) are of little utility at temps under 20 degrees. From 32 to 20 (0 to -6C) they're really pretty good.

Bad is 32 - 40 degrees F (0 to 5 C) and wet. The nice thing about having 10 pairs on hand at a time ($8 worth of gloves) is that you can always put on a pair of dry gloves. I use them all through the Winter (more as a Guinea Pig now) and when it gets really cold, I use a pair of thin, polypropylene liners, then the Smurfies. Keep a pocket warmer in the glovebox. Wear radio ear protection all the time. Keep moving. At sub-freezing temperatures, it's generally dry, in a large sense. I work year round, but I don't have the weather logistics like all you guys Chicago and north.

Good luck this Winter, everybody! ---TM---

re: good luck this winter, everyone.....

thanks t-machine!!!!
it's a little chilly here tonite......
the temp's dropped all the way down to 62 :D
i've got a fire going as we speak!!!!!
budroe:cool:

Thanks everyone for the great post on gloves. I only climb with gloves and that is probably because of my background in firedepartment rescue ops (safety, safety, safety). Anyway I decided to use my Ringer Extrication Golves (Fireresistive, anti-vibration, anti-abrasion) I figured that these would do much better than my plane old leather. Wrong, I got about 10 jobs out of them and they look like the leather gloves, holes in the fingers and palms and some of the seams have busted. At 39.99 a pair (luckily the FD bought them) I went back to leather. I wasn't sure about those Wonder Glove type gloves. I guess I was wrong, I will be going out tomarrow and getting some to try.

Again thanks, something else learned

rwilk

The BEST glove on earth

I wear gloves all of the time now. I have found these gloves made by Iron Clad they are the best. they make a cold condition gloce and a summer use gloves they hold up really well. You have total dextarity you can grad your rope extremely well. The cold condition gloves are very snug and keep your hands tosty warm while at the same time being able to do all of your operations with ease try them they are different than any other glove alot different.

Rich:blob2:

glove love

I have a girlfriend, too, so I'm almost always wearing gloves. my weapon of choice are the yellow tacky gloves (with the stuff that looks like hot-glue drizzled all over them) the wind whips right through them, which is good in summer because it cools my hot sweaty hands. in the winter, it' BAD. Zero degrees by the lake means I put on my liners inside. they are made by manzella http://www.manzella.com/ProductList...ditional&Product_Line_Code=Base&Group_Code=HP

These liners are extremely thin, so my hands don't feel bulky. The added insulation provided warmth, and the high-tech very wickable material keeps my hands dry.

that's what works for me.

love
nick

Girls and gloves

We don't care about the gloves, Nick. We want to hear the scoop on the girl. In fact, since she's absorbing more of you, that means we get less. We feel, SINCE she has become part of our group, by intimate association, she should write a post, letting us know what are her intentions, how she plans to support you, etc. We're guys, Nick; we like to be 'asked'. TM

AMEN JPS!!!:p

Personally, I let my hands get rough. Better traction and she is less likely to slip away.;)

What is up with this sissification of men?? Do you guys shave your chests and wax your legs for these ladies too?? You have a blue collar job!!! It is OK!! Have rough hands!! If they get snags on them, that is what files are for.

If you like gloves, that is cool but because she says so is different. Sounds like a good way to establish a bad precedent.

I know exactly what you mean, I use one of those emory boards for calluses on feet and go to town on my hands.

I know 1st hand how much snagging HER silk shirt can get you in big trouble. After all, if you can't use your hands you have no chance of getting to 1st base and zero chance of getting to.....

Fine line between blue collar/physical and redneck. Don't want to blur them.
;)

the better half

Hey TM---

Since you asked, this is Nick's girl responding to your message. I, too, consider myself a part of your group by intimate association...I feel like I know all of you so well, just by hearing Nick talk about forum discussions. That also means I know my fair share about tree climbing. That being said...

No way is Nick a sissy for wearing gloves... how hard is it to put on a pair of gloves? Don't you WANT full access to your girl? I'll embrace his rough hands any day, but why not keep 'em a little smoother?

As for the good job (John Paul Sanborn)...Nick plans to climb trees and run around with the kids, while I'm in an office somewhere. I guess HE understands that aspect of the arborist world. As for me, I'm going on to further my education and increase my student loan debt...then make more money than my husband. Or maybe I should just start dragging brush!

Nice to meet you!

Karina

p.s. Anyone know if Mark Chisholm is married?

If I heard that every morning I would have a hard time keeping the 020T away from my jugular.:p

I hate to be remided can you tell. The girlfriend still does it anyway.

Need every reason there is to stay safe.;)

Latest posts

Back