gluing a chainbrake handle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aquan8tor

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My Stihl 084AV has a broken chainbrake. I modded my muffler and the exhaust melted the brake handle enough to render it useless. There's enough left to manually actuate it, but it isn't going to stop as it should with inertia without the mass of the handle behind it. I know there is a glue out there which will work with this type of plastic, but I don't know what to use. I had thought about using some wire as a "brace" and putting a plastic-specific epoxy on top of it. I have posted a search in the swap meet forum as well; the handle isn't available from the dealer. Fixing it might be my only option.

Last edited:
My Stihl 084AV has a broken chainbrake. I modded my muffler and the exhaust melted the brake handle enough to render it useless. There's enough left to manually actuate it, but it isn't going to stop as it should with inertia without the mass of the handle behind it. I know there is a plastic out there which will work with this type of plastic, but I don't know what to use. I had thought about using some wire as a "brace" and putting a plastic-specific epoxy on top of it. I have posted a search in the swap meet forum as well; the handle isn't available from the dealer. Fixing it might be my only option.

It depends on where the break occurred. I repaired a 7900 CB by using wire woven through the pieces and plastic epoxy. If I needed something stronger, I would use sheetmetal, nuts and bolts, and epoxy. The repair on the 7900 has lasted three years without further drama.

There's enough left to manually actuate it, but it isn't going to stop as it should with inertia without the mass of the handle behind it.
I don't believe that's true. The inertia action is totally contained inside the brake assembly and the handle only serves to release/set the brake,

If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll get slammed. ;)

In some cases plastic breaks or cracks can be repaired with perforated metal (like the metal mesh inside of some oil filters) that has been formed to fit the contours of the part to be repaired. The metal can be heated and quickly pressed into the plastic far enough for melted plastic to extrude to the outside of the holes in the metal. J-B Weld or epoxy can be applied to smoothen the area.

would you want to put your life on the line with a cheap fix?
just buy a new handle

It depends on where the break occurred. I repaired a 7900 CB by using wire woven through the pieces and plastic epoxy. If I needed something stronger, I would use sheetmetal, nuts and bolts, and epoxy. The repair on the 7900 has lasted three years without further drama.

That's the kind of repair job I like to hear about. The break is down low on the right side near the muffler outlet; lots of stress on that point. I like your sheetmetal idea. Thanks!! :rock:

Back