Go ahead and flame me - but advice and advise are not the same word

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As someone who hails from the home of the English language I've been greatly amused by this thread. Simple fact is though we've been letting the rest of the world play with our mother tongue for free for far too long. Legislation is currently going through the UK Parliament which will charge foreign users for the right to carry on using the English language. Google and the major credit card companies are on side with the initial charge being proposed as $1/day for up to 1000 words. For heavy users like politicians and internet trolls $5/day will bring unlimited access.
Some of you may not like these proposals but there are plenty of other free languages out there that you can butcher and mispronounce to your hearts content.

PS Words like sidewalk, gas, tire and hood will not count towards your daily chargeable word count

Hey, true grammatical retard story. I work in a large unionized engine manufacturing plant and the union puts out a weekly bulletin called the “Union Voice”. The Presidents section had more misspelled words, typographical errors, and sentences that didn’t make any sense than you can imagine. One day I decided to bring this to his attention and suggested very tactfully that he might consider having someone proof read his material before going to print. He looked at me like I was some kind of dumb ass (can we say ass?) and said I obviously didn’t understand politics. He was writing that way deliberately so he could appear to be on the same level as the rest of the union. Now there’s a retard.

As someone who hails from the home of the English language I've been greatly amused by this thread. Simple fact is though we've been letting the rest of the world play with our mother tongue for free for far too long. Legislation is currently going through the UK Parliament which will charge foreign users for the right to carry on using the English language. Google and the major credit card companies are on side with the initial charge being proposed as $1/day for up to 1000 words. For heavy users like politicians and internet trolls $5/day will bring unlimited access.
Some of you may not like these proposals but there are plenty of other free languages out there that you can butcher and mispronounce to your hearts content.

PS Words like sidewalk, gas, tire and hood will not count towards your daily chargeable word count
I have much respect for the crown, but this is just ridiculous and impossible to enforce.

Lol, in my travels I've met a few people from England. They told me us Canadians drag out our words.
All I could think of to respond was, 'Where in the dictionary is water pronounced Wowta ?'

...furthermore, you POSER :sweet:, we will forbid your queen and her BBC minions from bombarding us with....with.....with....the use of....
"INDEED". :happy:

[QUOTE="maico490, post: 5118428, member: 20703" ] Simple fact is though we've been letting the rest of the world play with our mother tongue for free for far too long.

[/QUOTE]

Good afternoon sir. I am with the Punctuation Police. We have found a stray comma wandering loose and believe it belongs to you. Somebody was playing with it, but we feel it should be returned to you to be inserted appropriately.

While there will not be any fines apportioned to you, we expect you to cover the cost of return shipping to the UK.

It's clear that not everyone has had the opportunity of a quality education. Compound that with slang used in particular areas of the country, and you have a recipe for disaster in using the english language. I am not sure we should hold that against them. Sure it gets frustrating to see the spelling issues and grammatical errors, but we all lack in certain areas of our life. I know me personally, I pronounce "water", "werter". And as hard as I try to correct myself, it still comes out. It was how it was said in the area I was raised.

It's clear that not everyone has had the opportunity of a quality education. Compound that with slang used in particular areas of the country, and you have a recipe for disaster in using the english language. I am not sure we should hold that against them. Sure it gets frustrating to see the spelling issues and grammatical errors, but we all lack in certain areas of our life. I know me personally, I pronounce "water", "werter". And as hard as I try to correct myself, it still comes out. It was how it was said in the area I was raised.

MaylandGay, "English," is a proper noun and requires capitalization; even in the game of billiards where it can be employed as in life, in a subtle or devastating fashion. Billiards is known colloquially as, "pool," and that starts with, "P," and that rhymes with, "T," and that stands for trouble.

MaylandGay, "English," is a proper noun and requires capitalization; even in the game of billiards where it can be employed as in life, in a subtle or devastating fashion. Billiards is known colloquially as, "pool," and that starts with, "P," and that rhymes with, "T," and that stands for trouble.
That prose is eerily familiar...............

Latest posts

Back