Good day to play

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulDaisy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, before the weather spoiled I got a chance to play with my toys a little bit. I cleaned up and checked out the 026 that is new to me, and serviced the Partner. The little 1616 received a carb kit that made it start up a lot better than before, and it now runs at high RPM without fluctuation.
The 026 has a good looking piston and cylinder, a muffler with a through hole, which makes it very loud (must be a "power mod" the PO made w/o a spark screen), and this chain:
IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

Does anybody know what this chain is? It is a Stihl chain.
And, here is the little 1616, back from the ashes (I was given it in a non-running condition and I CAN'T live with a not running small engine. And, below is a pic of my tuning shop :)
IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

Cheers,
-P

Looks like safety chain that had the safety links ground down. Waste of time... but that's me.

Wow, that thimng was ran too rich fo awhile... lots of carbon buildup in that muffler.

Gary

Those humpy links look OEM, they are extremely uniform. I did not see anything that looks like a handmade mod on the chain. Here is another pic of the chain:
IMG_0286.jpg

So it was too rich? Could be just too much oil in the mixture? I did not tweak the carb, sounded good to me but I am no expert. I have only ran the saw twice for a few minutes to make sure it runs.

Last edited:
Those humpy links look OEM, they are extremely uniform. I did not see anything that looks like a handmade mod on the chain. Here is another pic of the chain:
IMG_0286.jpg

So it was too rich? Could be just too much oil in the mixture? I did not tweak the carb, sounded good to me but I am no expert. I have only ran the saw twice for a few minutes to make sure it runs.

That's the old style of safety chain, that stuff was the safety chain before the RM2 came out. I get a loop of that come in for sharpening time to time.

what's that little saw? Looks very like a husky 36...

That is my little Partner 1616. It is quite clean for a 30 year old saw. I think its carb gunked up when it was young and nobody ever took the time to fix it. When I got it first its chain was very dull, and I could not cut a 8" log, and I didn't know how to sharpen it. After reading up on this site I sharpened it and it is a whole lot better, it actually cuts now :clap: and I got it a spare loop of non safety chisel chain from Baileys too.

I see about the chain! Well, I will keep it around anyway. I got an RCS, a RM and a Bailey's bar/chisel chain combo for a spare, so I should be all set for someone that has nothing to cut :cry:

Well Paul, you certainly do your homework well! :) You seem to read up on everything, i'm a bit like that too, but you seem on a different level! I'm glad you went for the 026, it looks to be in beautiful condition! :) You will be a valued knowledgeable member in the future i'm sure! :)

:cheers:

IMG_0285.jpg

Does anybody know what this chain is? It is a Stihl chain.

That is the old style Rapid Super with a humped tie-strap, from the late 80's-early 90's. Notice it has the RSK style cutter. This was before the new style RS cutter came out with the shallow angle depth guage. I have some of it, decent chain. You might want to check your top plate filing angle, looks like it is close to 40 degrees. It should be between 25-30.

That is the old style Rapid Super with a humped tie-strap, from the late 80's-early 90's. Notice it has the RSK style cutter. This was before the new style RS cutter came out with the shallow angle depth guage. I have some of it, decent chain. You might want to check your top plate filing angle, looks like it is close to 40 degrees. It should be between 25-30.

Thank you! Interesting that a chain that old is so little used. Must have been in someone's box for a while.
I looked at the angles and they are very close to 30*. I think it is the angle the picture is taken that makes it deceiving. I may snap another one from straight above.
It would be kind of neat to have a "chain ID" sticky thread with high quality pictures of different chains, to scale, to help noobs like myself to learn.

Latest posts

Back