Good day to play

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PaulDaisy

PaulDaisy

ArboristSite Operative
Well, before the weather spoiled I got a chance to play with my toys a little bit. I cleaned up and checked out the 026 that is new to me, and serviced the Partner. The little 1616 received a carb kit that made it start up a lot better than before, and it now runs at high RPM without fluctuation.
The 026 has a good looking piston and cylinder, a muffler with a through hole, which makes it very loud (must be a "power mod" the PO made w/o a spark screen), and this chain:
IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

Does anybody know what this chain is? It is a Stihl chain.
And, here is the little 1616, back from the ashes (I was given it in a non-running condition and I CAN'T live with a not running small engine. And, below is a pic of my tuning shop :)
IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

Cheers,
-P

PaulDaisy

PaulDaisy

ArboristSite Operative
Those humpy links look OEM, they are extremely uniform. I did not see anything that looks like a handmade mod on the chain. Here is another pic of the chain:
IMG_0286.jpg

So it was too rich? Could be just too much oil in the mixture? I did not tweak the carb, sounded good to me but I am no expert. I have only ran the saw twice for a few minutes to make sure it runs.

Last edited:
BloodOnTheIce

BloodOnTheIce

Addicted to ArboristSite
Those humpy links look OEM, they are extremely uniform. I did not see anything that looks like a handmade mod on the chain. Here is another pic of the chain:
IMG_0286.jpg

So it was too rich? Could be just too much oil in the mixture? I did not tweak the carb, sounded good to me but I am no expert. I have only ran the saw twice for a few minutes to make sure it runs.

That's the old style of safety chain, that stuff was the safety chain before the RM2 came out. I get a loop of that come in for sharpening time to time.

PaulDaisy

PaulDaisy

ArboristSite Operative
what's that little saw? Looks very like a husky 36...

That is my little Partner 1616. It is quite clean for a 30 year old saw. I think its carb gunked up when it was young and nobody ever took the time to fix it. When I got it first its chain was very dull, and I could not cut a 8" log, and I didn't know how to sharpen it. After reading up on this site I sharpened it and it is a whole lot better, it actually cuts now :clap: and I got it a spare loop of non safety chisel chain from Baileys too.

I see about the chain! Well, I will keep it around anyway. I got an RCS, a RM and a Bailey's bar/chisel chain combo for a spare, so I should be all set for someone that has nothing to cut :cry:

minnnt

minnnt

ArboristSite Guru
Well Paul, you certainly do your homework well! :) You seem to read up on everything, i'm a bit like that too, but you seem on a different level! I'm glad you went for the 026, it looks to be in beautiful condition! :) You will be a valued knowledgeable member in the future i'm sure! :)

:cheers:

Tzed250

Tzed250

Addicted to ArboristSite
IMG_0285.jpg

Does anybody know what this chain is? It is a Stihl chain.

That is the old style Rapid Super with a humped tie-strap, from the late 80's-early 90's. Notice it has the RSK style cutter. This was before the new style RS cutter came out with the shallow angle depth guage. I have some of it, decent chain. You might want to check your top plate filing angle, looks like it is close to 40 degrees. It should be between 25-30.

PaulDaisy

PaulDaisy

ArboristSite Operative
That is the old style Rapid Super with a humped tie-strap, from the late 80's-early 90's. Notice it has the RSK style cutter. This was before the new style RS cutter came out with the shallow angle depth guage. I have some of it, decent chain. You might want to check your top plate filing angle, looks like it is close to 40 degrees. It should be between 25-30.

Thank you! Interesting that a chain that old is so little used. Must have been in someone's box for a while.
I looked at the angles and they are very close to 30*. I think it is the angle the picture is taken that makes it deceiving. I may snap another one from straight above.
It would be kind of neat to have a "chain ID" sticky thread with high quality pictures of different chains, to scale, to help noobs like myself to learn.

Latest posts