Good deeds with firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't had much opportunity to be generous with wood, but I've got a buddy I help out once in a while who borrows a bit now and again. He always asks beforehand, and loads up the trunk of his car.

But last week I did a minor roof repair for an elderly lady for free (gave her a business card and told her to tell her friends and neighbors about "good ol' Uncle Moustache." Of course, that kind of thing pays itself back in spades, anyway, but I'm happy to help out when there's a need and the people are nice. It's harder to give to those who have a need and aren't so nice.

There was an alchoholic neighbor down the street that I posted about here http://www.arboristsite.com/off-topic-forum/175178.htm but there's just not much you can do for people like this.

I give away about 100 tonne a year of rounds, would give away more if people would take it but I cant always get rid of it. It's not a charity act though - I run a small tree business and a buddy does all my chipping. He's got an 18" bandit and a 23m3 truck. My truck is only 10m3 and carries 4 tonne. I cut all the log to rounds about 14" long and get the boys to stack them in the truck. It usually adds up to a few tonne. I've had 6 tonne in there once. Giving away wood thats over 18" saves me having to rip it down to fit through the chipper which saves me chainsaw work and time.

I dont have property to store it on but even if I did I dont think I'd bother. There isnt that much money in firewood in aus unless you've got volume and a processor. I advertise it on the web for the area I'm working in a few days in advance, with species, size and quantity. It's obviously green which we mention, and is only ripped down to a size that can be picked up and carried, so 4' diameter gets ripped to 4 or 6 chunks. I give it away to the first person who gives me an address and phone number and has a driveway big enough to dump in.

The only time I gave away wood as a charity was driving 6 tonne of oak about 2 hours drive to give to a single mum I knew. Generally if people want the wood and they're not in the area I charge them fuel money, but I'll only drive if nobody in the local area wants it. Sometimes I still have to rip and chip, especially in summer.

Shaun

One time I helped a 90 year old put his wood in. I sell wood put I don't help stack except in this case. The guy worked so hard that he had to go inside on his HANDS AND KNEES after we put the wood in. Imagine if he had to put it all in himself.

P.S. Yes, I offered to do it all myself, but he insisted on also working.

for real. They go down hill fast. Or the cops will come in in a dynamic entry raid once he starts cooking at home, shoot the dog, terrorize the innocent family, then he will go to jail anyway. And if the wife is still there and did nothing, she'll lose her kids to family services.

and THAT..is the part,,that just pisses me, to no end..shes innocent, and her and the kids,,are going to pay a price..i can relate,i got a drug abusing other half. shes been at it 40 yrs,,and dept of human services and phycs laugh.........and in a div,,she'd get half,,and has destroyed far more than that half!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

given wood to help

I've given cords of wood to people I thought were in need.I took some wood to a soldier who had just returned from Afghanistan for his father's funeral.I told him during phone conversations that it was truly seasoned and ready to burn.Delivered the wood Saturday .He was grinding me about whether it was good enough to burn now without creosote problems.The wood stove is his sole heat source with a newborn baby.Kept my cool ,made the point that he was getting a significant discount.It got to the point where I finally said"if it's not good enough,I'll just leave;no harm ,no foul."He paid me.I dumped a very healthy cord of wood and left.3 hours later I get a call."This is Dan.I wanted to call and tell you how pleased I am with the wood.Merry Christmas.I didn't mean to give you such a hard time" Point being.I did what I thought right.I've done things for others with an expectation at times in the past.I've marginally learned that giving with an expectation is my issue and not true giving.That meant a lot that Dan made the call.To those who selflessly give so much, you have my admiration and respect.Gary

I delivered about 2 cord to my neighbour a few weeks ago. We help each other out through the year and this year seemed to be more of him helping me out and wouldn't take any payment.
I like doing this stuff, especially this time of year.
A few years back there was a family down the road from us that was having a pretty hard time. Kids had really worn clothes, wood for heating was spotty and the oldest boy slept on the floor.
The father was a major drinker and didn't give a s*%t about anybody but himself.
Some of the neighbors got together and bought groceries, toys and clothes for the kids and a few things for the wife. It was delivered to the family via the local United Church minister. As a collective gift for the kids we got them an x-box and later found out that the POS father sold it to buy booze. I felt like going over with a baseball bat and giving him an attitude adjustment. Last time I was ever involved with something like that.

good lesson

I've been in similar situations.The reaction by the recipients of your benevolence was different/less than expected.The more I thought about it the more I reasoned-1.Is it likely that people will continue in the same path/behavior?What are my expectations?2.Should a reaction that doesn't meet my expectation keep me from acting in a way that feels right to me(giving/trying to help)?It would be understandable to be resentful/disappointed by the father selling the ####.It would be even more sad to let that dysfunction change your giving nature.Hats off to you Brother.Don't be discouraged.To me cynicism is a daily challenge to be overcome.My.$02.Gary

No one is tooting their own horn, you a$$hole! People are just explaining how they help others. Maybe if you would get off your dead a$$ and do something instead of insulting others for helping....you could help someone. Merry Christmas:stupid:
Steve:rock:

Thanks Steve. I was going to ignor that guys comment. Every thread has an idiot.

Truth is that when I delivered the wood, the place was closed and I was happy that no one was around. Figured it was better to just get in and out without getting fussed over. Plus, something like that can make the person receiving the wood a little uncomfortable, so it's best on both ends that no one was around.

I did go back Thursday for dinner and the winter solstice Christmas music. Stove was cranking out the heat. :msp_smile:

something like that can make the person receiving the wood a little uncomfortable, so it's best on both ends that no one was around.

You are so correct. I hate to be made feel uncomfortable so try hard to never make others that way. Excellent post.:msp_smile:

I delivered about 2 cord to my neighbour a few weeks ago. We help each other out through the year and this year seemed to be more of him helping me out and wouldn't take any payment.
I like doing this stuff, especially this time of year.
A few years back there was a family down the road from us that was having a pretty hard time. Kids had really worn clothes, wood for heating was spotty and the oldest boy slept on the floor.
The father was a major drinker and didn't give a s*%t about anybody but himself.
Some of the neighbors got together and bought groceries, toys and clothes for the kids and a few things for the wife. It was delivered to the family via the local United Church minister. As a collective gift for the kids we got them an x-box and later found out that the POS father sold it to buy booze. I felt like going over with a baseball bat and giving him an attitude adjustment. Last time I was ever involved with something like that.

--hundred years ago or so you could proly get away with the baseball bat attitude adjustment, but not today.

Another method I have read about in older cultures was "shunning". You got someone that was just such a generic dorkbrane that everyone in the village just ignored them, acted like they weren't even there. No violence, just ignoring them.

you guys would be surprised at what i do. But in my humble opinion, telling anyone at all, even telling the wife negates what good was done. I always go by what the good book says to not let your left hand know what the right hand gave.
Like i said before, there's nothing like tooting your own horn!

you guys would be surprised at what i do. But in my humble opinion, telling anyone at all, even telling the wife negates what good was done. I always go by what the good book says to not let your left hand know what the right hand gave.
Like i said before, there's nothing like tooting your own horn!

whoops, just blew it.

Shaun

I gave away about 6 cords of wood to my buddy about a month ago, not the first or last time this will happen. Some of my friends call me NUTS! They say I'm crazy, what did he do for me?.
Well last weekend that friend took friday out of work, came over and together we put in a new driveway on my property. It's about 225 feet long and 19 feet wide at the skinnest. Reclaimed asphault at 4"-8" thick. Graded, pitched and compacted. I'm happy!

Looks fantastic Dave.:msp_thumbup::msp_thumbup:

I have been cutting and splitting wood for pastors at our church for years. One has 4 kids and his wife stays home with them. It is expensive to live here and giving them firewood makes things easier for them financially during the winter. Tomorrow I am scoping out a new firewood site with another pastor who needs wood. I like cutting wood and enjoy it more when I am cutting with others. I cut wood with my friend Steve who is like a brother to me. He's starting a job on 1/3 after nearly 3 years without a job. He and I have cut wood together for years.

If you want to help others in need and don't know of anyone see if your local church has a benevolence ministry. Our church (Santa Cruz Bible Church) helps many in need with clothes, food and car repair. We have a couple who donate their time meeting with people in need to determine what their needs are, if their needs are legitimate and what other help they need. They help them do things like set up a budget and look for work along with anything else they need to get back on their feet.

Latest posts

Back