Good deeds with firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Split a load of wood today and brought it over to a local eatery. They are a new operation in an old building, and they have run into some headwinds getting it off the ground. New business, some road construction that has diverted people away. But, great food and they have music on thu and fri nights. (There's these two women who do some unbelievable harmonies, with some traditional Christmas songs. Not just good singing, but some pretty technical stuff.)

Well, they're just making it, and when the cold weather hit they were using one of those radiant heaters that you hook up on the top of a barbecue tank to help out with the heat. Another local guy hooked up an old woodstove in the formally useless fireplace and it works pretty good. Stopped there on Wed for dinner and hung out by that stove for a couple hours until I realized that I better get home and load my own stove.

But, they had very little wood, so a few of us have been running some over there to keep them going. I filled my Dakota about 2/3 with some maple and a few pieces of oak, and that should at least get them through the week. With the 4 or 5 of us that are doing this, we'll get them through the winter without worrying about keeping the place warm.

Now, I'm not looking for a pat on the back for doing this. But I figure that there's a bunch of you guys who can also share some interesting stories about helping folks out with their firewood when they needed a hand. Hey, it's Christmas time, right? :smile2:

Haven't done a hole lot. Helped a disabled vet last winter split all his wood. Couple of non-profit type businesses that I give my labor to when they need it. My neighbors know that they can get wood, just need to ask. Not afraid of helping if I see someone who can truely use it. See plenty that want help, but to lazy to help themselves.
Good for you helping the strugling business and Merry Christmas.

I don't have a firewood story, but I can relate to helping out a local establishment. There is a place called Mavericks not too far from my house. It's a real hole in the wall type place. They recently had their five year anniversary, and thanked all the patrons for continuing to eat there.They said if it weren't for our continued support, they would have closed a long time ago. It's nice to see someone else supporting a local mom and pop place! Sent some rep your way.

I have the opposite story to tell.
At my place of business we spit and store all my crates of wood and have security camera's to protect the excavating equipment.
The property is rented to many of us contractors and is 78 acre's. My neighbor also in a business has been stealing my firewood last few years and I always look other way. I always offer him to donate a days labor to help us with the cutting and splitting for free wood. He never once helped us but continues to take my dry splits. I told him last week that I dont have enough wood to give away to contractors that are burning it in fire barrels outside. Last week I have him on video now using a large wagon on Sundays to take my splits. My solution was this - I loaded up a 8 yard dump truck load of 12 foot logs that are surplus from the owners property and delivered them to his parking area and dumped them off for free. I told him that there is no charge but he has to cut them up and burn them in the barrel. He has not toughed any of the pile I dumped or mine since:chainsawguy:

Nope, can't say as I have. I wouldn't be against it, just can't, plus really don't know of anyone in real dire need locally to me, especially after this springs tornadoes, everyone is sitting on firewood who wants any. Most folks burn propane or nuke juice.

I can cut wood for my own use, but can't give it away. Haven't been in a restaurant for years, can't afford to eat out. One restaurant meal is one weeks grocery bill, so that's just out. We are by far and away the poorest people in this whole area, and even when our cabin got smashed, didn't have anyone offer to help me clean up the mess. All the neighbors with kids all seem to have near new rides and they can afford to give their kids dirt bikes, atvs, go carts, etc and all they do every day after school, on weekends and all summer long is burn fuel blasting up and down the street, over and over and over again, as fast as they can go. Whenever one of their trees falls over and smashes the fence, I have yet to see any of them make an effort to come help cut it up and repair the fence.

When I told my boss we should harangue them into doing it, as is the law, their liability, he said don't bother, they will just cut the fences on purpose and I'll be chasing the cows all the time. I already get the locals cutting the fences to poach deer all the time as it is. they kill deer, turkeys, wild geese, you name it, I find the remains all the time. They can't be bothered to drive over to the various forests or wildlife management areas to hunt.

I have met one member here who has offered to help me cut (and just to have some fun with his saws) and wants to come over an cut, and has once, and I can give him some of the wood, ran it by my boss, but not much of it, just "some".

Nope my charity consists of taking care of the abandoned dogs and cats that mysteriously show up here on the farm. It takes way over half my take home pay to care for them. Any humans around here will have to just deal with it if they are in need. I could qualify for food stamps easy, but I don't sign up for them, I prefer to just put more effort into my gardens and try to feed ourselves as best as possible, and every year it gets better in that regard. I can't complain about government spending then take government handouts, when I have an alternative that can work. Although I will admit I took the stimulus check. And I spent it. Did my duty to stimulate the economy ;)

(I am for eliminating about 7/8ths of the fed government, and all the way to total "term limits" for all employees, no lifetime careers or pensions)(another subject, not for here)

In the past in other areas, sure, helped folks out, with firewood and all sorts of stuff, lawncare, fixit repairs, whatever, but around here..nope, not much. I keep the trash they chunk out in the ditches picked up. Not all, but a lot.

Just about everyone around here just pitches trash out, and our farm is a nice long no humans looking stretch of road where they love to dump bags. And seeing as how a lot of the trash is fast food wrappers, empty boxes from new toys, beer bottles, etc..nope. Folks around here can look out for themselves.

Now, if and when I actually meet some folks around here who are poor, infirm, elderly in need, and no other way to get by, yep, I will offer to help out, until then, I care for my pets and us and that's it. I have donated to the charity stuff on the site here, what I could anyway.

try to help when possible. A lady i work with in the school system split with her husband. Well, actually he left her with both kids, house, bills, etc. I've taken two full truck loads over(mainly oak/locust). I plan on making sure she has enough for the year and go from there. I know she could do a little bit better, but not much. I figure it isn't up to me to judge whether she could really afford to buy the wood, so I give out of the goodness of my heart and conviction. Also, Zogger, if you do need help getting some wood cut up, let me know, my saws have no problem traveling. You aren't that far away.

Shea

Buddy of mine has an outdoor Hardy and spends most of his summer as a general contractor. He actually doesn't like heating with wood, but money for them is very tight.

So this summer I'd rotate back and fourth. One week I'd cut for me, the other I'd cut for him and just swing by and drop off the trailer load of wood. Before too long I had his entire season's worth of wood cut and ready to roll.

In turn, he's coming over this winter to help me frame my basement so I can drywall it.

I've also helped a lot of other families, mostly from church. I usually get calls from some of the farmers who have trees fallen from storms so I'll cut it up and if I don't need wood I'll drop it off at people's houses who are usually too old or handicapped to get out and cut their own.

In fact I'm picking up a cord sometime this week that is going to an older couple. Not everyone is priveliged enough to have a big truck/trailer and a big saw so I'm happy to help when I have the spare time.

Never have people snacking on our own stacks though. But that's probably because we have a 160lb bullmastiff and a 120lb rottweiler wandering around our property (when they are not sleeping on my couch)

My uncle died last month and I'm making sure my aunt has plenty of wood. I took two loads to her yesterday and split some a neighbor had dropped in her yard. I always have somebody that can use some.

try to help when possible. A lady i work with in the school system split with her husband. Well, actually he left her with both kids, house, bills, etc. I've taken two full truck loads over(mainly oak/locust). I plan on making sure she has enough for the year and go from there. I know she could do a little bit better, but not much. I figure it isn't up to me to judge whether she could really afford to buy the wood, so I give out of the goodness of my heart and conviction. Also, Zogger, if you do need help getting some wood cut up, let me know, my saws have no problem traveling. You aren't that far away.

Shea

Oh thanks for the offer. Right now I am having no problems, am getting ahead on my stacks, and as long as me and my back hold out, I'll keep cutting splitting and stacking. Sort of old age insurance. Although most days I still feel pretty spry and vigorous, some days..not really..hahahaha! I think I finally hit a transition point a few years ago....Wood, though, always being fun for me, seems to act as a rejuvenator of sorts. Other work is just work though, wood is big fun SPORT!

I gave away about 6 cords of wood to my buddy about a month ago, not the first or last time this will happen. Some of my friends call me NUTS! They say I'm crazy, what did he do for me?.
Well last weekend that friend took friday out of work, came over and together we put in a new driveway on my property. It's about 225 feet long and 19 feet wide at the skinnest. Reclaimed asphault at 4"-8" thick. Graded, pitched and compacted. I'm happy!

We have an elder neighbor couple (in their 90's) who likes fires in the fireplace so I take them a little birch each year. Somebody always did this for my Grandfather when I was a kid, so I figure it is my turn to help. I think of him as I cut it and deliver it.

My chainsaw dealer has an outdoor boiler, so I take him scraps when convienient. Easy way to say THANKS!

Had my kid's bus driver comment she could use some of the birch stacked around our place. I stepped onto the schoolbus and whispered in her ear " I will give you my wood if you keep it a secret". I meant some birch of course:) I did fill an old backpack with birch and put it on the bus for her for a Christmas fire.

Tried to rep you, we have one family that we donate wood to all winter, did it last year. The dad is a deadbeat meth head, the wife works her azz off, three little kids. They use minimal electricity, use candles to illuminate the house, to keep the electric bill low. We donate the wood so the wife and kids will at least have a warm place to stay. We also donate excess eggs, and garden stuff during the summer.
Don't do it for recognition, for a long time we wouldn't even tell them out name, just told them we were the wood fairies. It sure gives you a good feeling, my kids really enjoy doing it. Loaded the trailer with a cord today to deliver to them tomorrow along with 5 dozen farm fresh eggs. It's just the right thing to do, I feel like we've been blessed and just need to pass it on.

I've had a few customers buy for relatives that are older or in poor health and I'll deliver quite a bit more than was purchased. Figured if the buyer was willing to help, I'd try and do my part too.

Steve

I have the opposite story to tell.
At my place of business we spit and store all my crates of wood and have security camera's to protect the excavating equipment.
The property is rented to many of us contractors and is 78 acre's. My neighbor also in a business has been stealing my firewood last few years and I always look other way. I always offer him to donate a days labor to help us with the cutting and splitting for free wood. He never once helped us but continues to take my dry splits. I told him last week that I dont have enough wood to give away to contractors that are burning it in fire barrels outside. Last week I have him on video now using a large wagon on Sundays to take my splits. My solution was this - I loaded up a 8 yard dump truck load of 12 foot logs that are surplus from the owners property and delivered them to his parking area and dumped them off for free. I told him that there is no charge but he has to cut them up and burn them in the barrel. He has not toughed any of the pile I dumped or mine since:chainsawguy:

your a lot easier humor than i am...................

Tried to rep you, we have one family that we donate wood to all winter, did it last year. The dad is a deadbeat meth head, the wife works her azz off, three little kids. They use minimal electricity, use candles to illuminate the house, to keep the electric bill low. We donate the wood so the wife and kids will at least have a warm place to stay. We also donate excess eggs, and garden stuff during the summer.
Don't do it for recognition, for a long time we wouldn't even tell them out name, just told them we were the wood fairies. It sure gives you a good feeling, my kids really enjoy doing it. Loaded the trailer with a cord today to deliver to them tomorrow along with 5 dozen farm fresh eggs. It's just the right thing to do, I feel like we've been blessed and just need to pass it on.

now if she could get rid of the worthless meth head...............good on yah..

now if she could get rid of the worthless meth head...............good on yah..

for real. They go down hill fast. Or the cops will come in in a dynamic entry raid once he starts cooking at home, shoot the dog, terrorize the innocent family, then he will go to jail anyway. And if the wife is still there and did nothing, she'll lose her kids to family services.

They, the methheads, all go down eventually, one way or the other, or just croak doing something really dumb. Usually after bankrupting themselves, stealing from everyone they know,etc. I've seen it around here, people just go downhill pretty fast. And they don't see it, I am convinced of that, they really don't see anything wrong, it changes their brains or something.

That stuff just takes over people's souls, just terrible. They lose all contact with reality. One guy I know eventually wound up in jail, cleaned up, but it didn't last long once out, back to weird stuff.

I guess some folks can beat it, but it appears to be the rare individual who can.

dropped a dump truck load to a family today they are having a rough time this year noticed no smoke from there the last couple days. stopped and checked their woodpile and they were out. so they should now be good for a while anyways BILL

Latest posts

Back