Good free wood source

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimalt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm not sure whether this will work for you over in USA but some sawmills over here give away the slabs, from the outer part of the tree that they can't use, for free. You have to pick it up and cut it but it beats hauling trees through scrub with a winch!
Also alot of large companies get deliveries on wooden pallets. Now, we break some of these pallets and use the wood (I made a gate not long ago and only had to use new screws!) for construction projects but we can also go round many firms here and pick up pallets for free!

I'm sure you've all already thought of these ideas tho'

The saw mills here used to give slabs away but not anymore. They are only 1.5'' thick at most so other than building material I wouldn't think they are much use for firewood? Here is a pic of a cattle coral I camp in during deer season the sides are all made from slabs.Makes a great wind break!

Got a mill about an hour south of me where I can pick up all the slab wood I can burn. Half of it is like you said, but probably half is thicker, up to 4 inches sometimes, and a few thicker.

But I can get all the log butts I can haul about 45 minutes east, so why bother?

Plan to get another load for my boys to use for building a fort, but it's not worth the time for firewood. If I didn't have the other source, I'd go for it.

Slab Wood

Local mill here (Ontario) sells hardwood slab for approx $90.00. per cord. You still have to cut in to stove length and in burns very fast. Does make good kindeling or camp wood.

A local saw mill near hear mills lumber for hardwood pallets. I get a bundle of oak slabs that is 3' x 3' x 6' for $25.00 loaded on my truck.

Well I am fairly lucky where i am as there is a small mill about a 5 minute drive for me and they leave their slabs out at the entrance to their property for anyone to take. Mostly pine and on occasion they are cutting fir. Every once in a while I can get a good board off them that they don't want because there might have been too much pitch in it and i can usually get some good useable length out of it. I've built alot of rough stuff with their throw aways. Good corporate neighbours for sure.

Austin, $400 a cord in Calgary. Thats pretty hefty but I guess that is the price you pay for having all that oil money kicking around.

Well I am fairly lucky where i am as there is a small mill about a 5 minute drive for me and they leave their slabs out at the entrance to their property for anyone to take. Mostly pine and on occasion they are cutting fir. Every once in a while I can get a good board off them that they don't want because there might have been too much pitch in it and i can usually get some good useable length out of it. I've built alot of rough stuff with their throw aways. Good corporate neighbours for sure.

Austin, $400 a cord in Calgary. That's pretty hefty but I guess that is the price you pay for having all that oil money kicking around.
Yes it is a crazy price,Don't know why , allot of wood around all small trees but ton's of them.Maybe demand is low as few heat with wood. I laugh every time I see someone buying wood by the bundle for $10.00 at the gas station.

Back