Good log haul part2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice stack of logs mate! I used to work my little trucks like that one a nissan and one a toyota. Now I drive a bigger one with a diesel and pull a trailer too. Very nice load indeed :cheers:
Yeah it has been an amazing vehicle and its only 22 years old . I think I will have to make some room in my shed to keep the logs in good nic , because it will take me 12 months to cut all of them , it is currently firewood season so I am busy doing that at the moment . Cheers MM

Hi BobL , if your bored , can you tell me how much leverage a 1 ton object has at 3' , 4' and 5'ft hanging off of the end of a horizontal pipe in tons , I snapped me crane off a while back and was curious , I done a rebuild on it , it wont break this time . Cheers MM

Yeah it has been an amazing vehicle and its only 22 years old . I think I will have to make some room in my shed to keep the logs in good nic , because it will take me 12 months to cut all of them , it is currently firewood season so I am busy doing that at the moment . Cheers MM

So what do you have under the hood of your toyota?? I know you guys can get them with diesel's. It is not fair b/c that would be the perfect vehicle. Great fuel efficency and great torque. They need to make more vehicles with diesel's here in North America. I can get 22 - 25 MPG with my big Dodge but I imagine a new Helix would be around 35 - 40 MPG.

Hi BobL , if your bored , can you tell me how much leverage a 1 ton object has at 3' , 4' and 5'ft hanging off of the end of a horizontal pipe in tons , I snapped me crane off a while back and was curious , I done a rebuild on it , it wont break this time . Cheers MM

To answer this question I need to know a bit more detail about how the pipe is fixed at the fixed end and the distances involved. Certainly huge forces can be generated without knowing if the set up is not right, easily big enough to break welds or bend pipes.

For a crane the typical information needed is the distance from the fixed end of the crane to the lifting piston. For simple example in the picture below, the distance x is needed to calculate the leveraged load on the piston pivot and ratio of "Load/Leveraged Load" will be the same as the distance ratio of "x/y"

attachment.php

It sounds like you have a horizontal pipe welded to an upright pipe and are using a winch to lift the log from the free end of the horizontal pipe. In this case the welds between the two pipes need to be very strong, much stronger than most people imagine. If you can take a close up side on picture of your set up and include a ruler or some information about dimensions I can have a more detailed look for you. If you want to do this via PMs that is also OK.

Just after my previous post I remembered some pictures of your truck crane pictures from last year.
Here is one
attachment.php

Is this the one you had problems with?

That crane is rated to lift 450 kg at the piston pivot/jib point and 230 kg at the first hole about a ft to the right of the piston pivot, and thus about 115 kg at the end. I estimate that log you are lifting is about 500 kg? I know they make these things to lift about double their rating or even a bit more, and it looks like you reinforced the top but it's still a big ask to lift that log. With 500 kg on the end of the crane, the pivot point on top of the upright is being pulled up with a force of 1.5 tons and the piston has to lift 1.5 tons. The weakest point in this system is the jib immediately to the right of the piston pivot which is also taking 1.5 tons. These are all just estimates but if something went pearshaped and you were injured I doubt your insurance would pay out.

To answer this question I need to know a bit more detail about how the pipe is fixed at the fixed end and the distances involved. Certainly huge forces can be generated without knowing if the set up is not right, easily big enough to break welds or bend pipes.

For a crane the typical information needed is the distance from the fixed end of the crane to the lifting piston. For simple example in the picture below, the distance x is needed to calculate the leveraged load on the piston pivot and ratio of "Load/Leveraged Load" will be the same as the distance ratio of "x/y"

attachment.php

It sounds like you have a horizontal pipe welded to an upright pipe and are using a winch to lift the log from the free end of the horizontal pipe. In this case the welds between the two pipes need to be very strong, much stronger than most people imagine. If you can take a close up side on picture of your set up and include a ruler or some information about dimensions I can have a more detailed look for you. If you want to do this via PMs that is also OK.

Interesting :monkey: I look forward to seeing this design and math.

I am working on a crane for my truck this weekend.

Just after my previous post I remembered some pictures of your truck crane pictures from last year.
Here is one
attachment.php

Is this the one you had problems with?

That crane is rated to lift 450 kg at the piston pivot/jib point and 230 kg at the first hole about a ft to the right of the piston pivot, and thus about 115 kg at the end. I estimate that log you are lifting is about 500 kg? I know they make these things to lift about double their rating or even a bit more, and it looks like you reinforced the top but it's still a big ask to lift that log. With 500 kg on the end of the crane, the pivot point on top of the upright is being pulled up with a force of 1.5 tons and the piston has to lift 1.5 tons. The weakest point in this system is the jib immediately to the right of the piston pivot which is also taking 1.5 tons. These are all just estimates but if something went pearshaped and you were injured I doubt your insurance would pay out.
Thanks Bob , thats about as much info as I need , I can calculate the rest myself . Yep thats the crane , but it has been modified by me since , the black bit at the bottom of the crane is actually underneath the tray since , the 230kg , 450kg markings are a little deceiving , the holes are where a pin goes through to adjust the length of the crane and the weights the crane can lift are actually at the hook 230kg - 450kg at the shortest crane length . Cheers MM

So what do you have under the hood of your toyota?? I know you guys can get them with diesel's. It is not fair b/c that would be the perfect vehicle. Great fuel efficency and great torque. They need to make more vehicles with diesel's here in North America. I can get 22 - 25 MPG with my big Dodge but I imagine a new Helix would be around 35 - 40 MPG.
I get about 600 - 690kms a 60litre tank , mine is a 2.4Litre diesel , no power steering , no radio , no air conditioning , no turbo , just a very simple setup , only has about 450,000kms on the speedo . Cheers MM

I get about 600 - 690kms a 60litre tank , mine is a 2.4Litre diesel , no power steering , no radio , no air conditioning , no turbo , just a very simple setup , only has about 450,000kms on the speedo . Cheers MM

That's between 10 and 8.7 litres/100 km
or
23.5 and 27 miles per US gallon.

My 3L diesel van does 9.6L per 100 km (24.5 mpg) almost irrespective of the load, air con, and speed.

Wow that makes me feel better about my Dodge

It is 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel inline six. I get 22-25 MPG highway, 16-17 in town and 15 hauling a 10,000 lb trailer on the freeway. They just changed the EPA requirments here is the States and the new diesel's get about 5-7 mpg less b/c of efforts taken to lower the emissions.

That's between 10 and 8.7 litres/100 km
or
23.5 and 27 miles per US gallon.

My 3L diesel van does 9.6L per 100 km (24.5 mpg) almost irrespective of the load, air con, and speed.
Gee thats pretty good Bob , especially for a van.

Wow that makes me feel better about my Dodge

It is 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel inline six. I get 22-25 MPG highway, 16-17 in town and 15 hauling a 10,000 lb trailer on the freeway. They just changed the EPA requirments here is the States and the new diesel's get about 5-7 mpg less b/c of efforts taken to lower the emissions.
That sounds pretty good Can8ian cosidering the size of your motor , as for the emisions buisiness , duno why they dont just start makin hydrogen vehicles anyway , espescially considering the endless supply of water on our planet.

Gee thats pretty good Bob , especially for a van.
Yeah I'm happy with it. The mileage only starts to drop off whenever I go over about 100 km/hr. Below that its fine. Above about 80 km/hr it's much noisier than a regular car, especially when it's empty, and you have to have the radio up louder, so I started wearing noise canceling ear muffs which have an audio input jack so's I can listen to my ipod without wearing out my (already stuffed) ears

That sounds pretty good Can8ian cosidering the size of your motor , as for the emisions buisiness , duno why they dont just start makin hydrogen vehicles anyway , espescially considering the endless supply of water on our planet.
To get hydrogen requires energy and that has to come from somewhere. In Australia we should be doing it with solar or nuclear since we have heaps of both. Hydrogen also needs to be stored in a more compact way than just cylinders for vehicles since th cylinders weigh a lot. There's lots of people working on this - hopefully they sort it soon.

Yeah I'm happy with it. The mileage only starts to drop off whenever I go over about 100 km/hr. Below that its fine. Above about 80 km/hr it's much noisier than a regular car, especially when it's empty, and you have to have the radio up louder, so I started wearing noise canceling ear muffs which have an audio input jack so's I can listen to my ipod without wearing out my (already stuffed) ears

To get hydrogen requires energy and that has to come from somewhere. In Australia we should be doing it with solar or nuclear since we have heaps of both. Hydrogen also needs to be stored in a more compact way than just cylinders for vehicles since th cylinders weigh a lot. There's lots of people working on this - hopefully they sort it soon.
Yes hydrogen making takes energy , one of the problems with solar is storing the energy , but one mob not long ago got smart and started using solar energy to make hydrogen ,that way they could store the sun so to speak , I am sure they will solve the other problems sooner or later , duno about the nuwks , I still believe there are to many unsolved and very expensive problems with it , the power produced is dearer , the waste problem , the fact the nuwk power stations have a limited life and then we have to look after these sites for thousands of years , which would make this power supply exstremely dear . Cheers MM

Back