Good price for an MS660 Magnum?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I went into a pawnshop here today and they had one of these up for $299. It's in pretty decent shape, seems to have good compression, sans bar. Heaven knows I don't need it but is that a good deal assuming it checks out OK mechanically (and starts)?

I went into a pawnshop here today and they had one of these up for $299. It's in pretty decent shape, seems to have good compression, sans bar. Heaven knows I don't need it but is that a good deal assuming it checks out OK mechanically (and starts)?

I would buy them all day long at that price...:jawdrop:

Well, I broke down and went and bought it today. You guys will have me broke in no time! Anyway, I managed to get it for $275 plus tax. Found a little 21" bar for it at another pawnshop for $15 - it's fairly worn but it worked for testing it out & was better than dropping $75-100 for a new one.

I flushed the tank out and put fresh gas in it, and it started after 4 pulls. Not bad. Compression tested at just over 150 PSI, the cyl/piston looks more or less perfect from the exhaust side. Only (really minor) problems are the rubber on the handle isn't perfect anymore, there's a hairline crack in the front of the muffler, and the base of the pull handle has started to crack up a bit. None affect the usability at all. I made some cuts with a .325 chain today (the bar was a .325) with a 9 tooth sprocket and it does haul some a$$. Seems to bog out a bit easier than my 395, but it has a 7 tooth with 3/8 skip chain so the comparison isn't really valid.

The guy at the store said the saw had been Walkerized. I'm not really familiar with their work so I don't know if it was actually them or just someone did an imitation job, but the muffler has indeed been dual ported (you can barely see the welded-on round port off the left hand side of the muffler in the front view pic). So maybe it's worth even more? I'd almost like to keep it and ditch my Husky 181SE now, but I'm open to offers (on either). Don't really have the $300 to keep invested in a saw that I don't truly have a use for. Anwyay I've got to go right now but I'll post some more later maybe.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
It's worth in the 600$ range. I couldn't see paying 800$ or more for a used 066/660 since you can get them new for 1000$

Get some 3/8 chain on it too.

If I decide to keep it I definitely will, it's just that I don't have any Stihl bars other than the 33" on the 090 which won't fit either. So I got the cheapest one I could find for the purpose of testing this thing out, and I already had the .325 spare sprocket.

The carb limiters haven't even been removed so I don't think it's been abused at all. The plug was really carbonized so the previous owner likely ran it really rich on the oil. I think it MIGHT need a new clutch or something though, because it's impossible to get it to hold an idle without the chain running, and if I do, then it's hard to restart without a half choke, even warm. Clutch drum wasn't worn badly though. So I dunno, I'm definitely no expert. Maybe I'm overlooking something.

PS - Is it possible to get bushings so that I could use that little bar on one of my Huskys? Might have to re-drill the oiler but that's no big deal. It'd be handy to keep it around just in case I have a similar situation in the future.

the chains moving because it might be idling to high or throw in some stiffer clutch springs, there probably shot

the chains moving because it might be idling to high or throw in some stiffer clutch springs, there probably shot

Nope, it's not idling too high because if I drop it any lower it gets really rough and won't stay running - I've tried everything I can think of with the low jet and throttle stop adjustments. As an aside, on the case it says to turn the High jet open 3/4 T, but the low jet numbers are scrubbed up. Looks like it might have said 1/4 turn? That seems low to me if so, and the saw REALLY didn't like it when I tried that.

And now that you mention it, the clutch shoes did seem a bit loose when I had the drum off to look at it. I've been having a similar problem with the 181, except that it will often also stall out when I back off the throttle quickly after a cut, which makes me think the shoes are sticking to the drum. Carb was tuned by a pro and it runs like a dream otherwise though.

Latest posts

Back