Good problem to have

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I had about 25 cords ordered going into this past weekend so I planned to hit it pretty hard and put a dent in the back log. I ended up delivering 16 cords between Saturday and Sunday BUT got orders for 14 more during that same time. So much for getting caught up. At this rate I will be through my stock before turkey day which is fine by me. And this is without advertising for 3 years.

Good problem to have. I'm not near that scale, but my stuff sells itself. Once I sell to a client they usually stick around. Quality wood and quality service speaks for itself.
New I'd like to do a little firewood selling. Just enough to offset some equipment costs. Like maybe ten cord a year.
I don't plan of delivering it though.
Any of you guys do pick-up only sales and how do they do?

I had about 25 cords ordered going into this past weekend so I planned to hit it pretty hard and put a dent in the back log. I ended up delivering 16 cords between Saturday and Sunday BUT got orders for 14 more during that same time. So much for getting caught up. At this rate I will be through my stock before turkey day which is fine by me. And this is without advertising for 3 years.
New I'd like to do a little firewood selling. Just enough to offset some equipment costs. Like maybe ten cord a year.

Only for bundle sales, I supply the bundles in small lots to a local restaurant and the customers buy them there. When the restaurant is closed, the customer can leave money in a drop box. It's an honor system that works most of the time but not all of the time.

I don't like to do pickup because the wood is at my moms and many people won't show up when they say they will. This leaves me waiting

I don't like to do pickup because the wood is at my moms and many people won't show up when they say they will. This leaves me waiting.
I hear you. One of the reasons I have been successful is my punctuality when making a delivery. Get there on time or a few minutes before. Never be late as a seller and always bring a full measure.

I don't like to do pickup because the wood is at my moms and many people won't show up when they say they will. This leaves me waiting
then charge them a waiting fee ! its the same as extra gas/fuel for a long delivery ! stating a time they will be there and not ? it's there dime and your time!! when they do show(maybe) then they will get the idea of going back with a load or no load and their wasted time and your laugh!!

then charge them a waiting fee ! its the same as extra gas/fuel for a long delivery ! stating a time they will be there and not ? it's there dime and your time!! when they do show(maybe) then they will get the idea of going back with a load or no load and their wasted time and your laugh!!
It throws me off my delivery schedule and just isn't worth the hassle.

I let the half cord deliveries build up because they are kinda pain in the arse but tomorrow is the day for them. I have 7 half cord deliveries lined up. Usually I do these with my pickup and use the "easy unloader" but I'm going with a different and hopefully more efficient method. My dump truck is loaded up with 2 cords ready for the morning. The first three stops will be unloaded by hand and then the 4th can get dumped. They are all within 5-10 minutes of each other and are in a loop. The next 3 will require me driving back to the farm to load up and then make them in one loop as well. There will be more time unloading but a whole lot less time driving.
Still can't get caught up as my phone and Facebook messenger keep blowing up inspite of me turning the AC on this afternoon.

Latest posts

Back