Good saw for firewood business???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff,

I have no experience with Echo saws, but if you are set on their equipment, I'd look at the CS600P or CS680. From looking at the parts manuals for each saw, they look to be pro-built with a vertically split case with a separate cylinder. A good thing for easier access to the piston. Try a search (here on AS) on these saws to see what actual users say about them. I have read that some folks feel they're underpowered for their weight compared to the other brands. Go and handle their saws and see if they'll let you cut with one and go from there. And I agree with Andy's suggestion of a 70cc saw if possible.

Kevin

That Stihl MS362 will do well if you only want to buy one saw. IMO, you need a minimum ~60cc class saw to competently run 3/8 pitch chain on a 20" bar. The older MS361 is also a very good saw. Husqvarna will soon be releasing their latest 60cc saw in the 560XP, which is also supposed to be a top performer
:agree2:

I think the suggestion about 2 saws is great. I may be able to find at least one on Craigslist that fits my needs. Then, perhaps, buy the second one new. That would help budgetwise.
I am a big believer in buying new stuff from LOCAL dealers, not over the internet. Maybe this is because i owned a dealership for 5 years. I like to support my local dealers and they will support me when I need assistance.
Yes, I have a great working relationship with both of the Echo dealers here in town.
Have dealt with one for 22 years and the other for 15 years.
Jeff

Right on. Good relations goes a long way in keeping your equipment it top shape. Since you'll be cutting trunks that are being brought to you, it doesn't sound as if you'll be doing a lot of limbing. It really depends on what the average size logs you'll be cutting. If they are going to be averaging less than 20", go with a good Pro 50-60cc saw. Get the 50-60cc pro saw new, then buy a 80-90cc HONKER in good used condition.

Echo saws will do you a good job, and you should be commended for supporting your local businessmen.

I think its funny that Echo saws always get bashed on here. I have to admit that I've ran them very little, but they've been around a long time and make a very dependable saw. Many that ACTUALLY USE THEM are very satisfied and I have to think that their 5 year warranty(for homeowners I know) and longevity should speak that they're good saws.

That being said I would recommend if you're only looking at one saw a 50cc is hard to beat for running all day. They are light and offer good power for anything averaging 18" or less. You said you're retired from a previous job so I'm guessing your not going to like lugging most 70+cc saws around for a day. Just from my personal experience of "weekend warrioring" with a saw:
You run the big saw for an hour...
You run the 60cc a little longer...
Then you find the 50cc saw gets most all of it done almost as fast but you can work longer.

(The big saw hour is really fun though!)

One added comment is that my Husky 346xp runs more like a 60cc saw. They are that good!

If your serious, the two saw plan is the way to go. I have been cutting some firewood recently with my brother (I have cut alot in my life, just not lately.) We are using his 460, his 362, and my 260. The 460 is fast, as you would expect, but he is using his 362 more, and I am using my 260. He cuts faster, but I can keep up-if we each cut 3 logs of roughly the same size, he'll finish 45 seconds or so faster than me.

Will

I think I read in your post you would be getting logs to size and split? This would mean no limbing? Just my opinion, but if I didn't have any limbing to do, go with the brand you like, and get a 70cc class saw and one even larger. All my life I ran 50 and 60 cc saws. I finally bought a 372xp (70cc) and all I could remember thinking is holy crap!!! What the hell took me so long to get one of these???!!! And yes, you need 2. Even if the 2nd is a smaller saw. :msp_wink:

If your serious, the two saw plan is the way to go. I have been cutting some firewood recently with my brother (I have cut alot in my life, just not lately.) We are using his 460, his 362, and my 260. The 460 is fast, as you would expect, but he is using his 362 more, and I am using my 260. He cuts faster, but I can keep up-if we each cut 3 logs of roughly the same size, he'll finish 45 seconds or so faster than me.

Will
And, when all is said and done, that MS 260 will have cut about the same number of logs, and your arms will have more strength left to raise a couple of mugs. :laugh:

The 260 (and the old 024 before it) are both great firewood saws. Sometimes I wish that they had not built the fabulous MS 361 that I use today:
StihlMS3612.jpg

And, here it is equipped with the 25" bar that it easily pulls through the big logs:

Stihl361and25bar01.gif

Stay away from the ms260. The original O26 ran at around 15500 rpms and was a great limbing saw and occasional small bucking saw. The new ms260 runs a lower rpms and it is junk. I tried one not long ago and it was pathetic. Ms362 is the only way to go with either a 20"-25" bar. I have two 362's on my truck and love them. Stay away from the 391 or any of the homeowner models, they won't last or perform well.

I would rather run a shorter bar on a larger powerheard. I'm not that big of a guy but the saw's weight is really isn't that huge of a factor. Other than limbing, the saw is supported by the log being cut most of the time. I run a 20" bar most of the time on my 372xp. I wish that saw was a 395xp with the same 20" bar.
I have a 346xp for limbing but find I usually just use the 372

I would rather run a shorter bar on a larger powerheard. I'm not that big of a guy but the saw's weight is really isn't that huge of a factor. Other than limbing, the saw is supported by the log being cut most of the time. I run a 20" bar most of the time on my 372xp. I wish that saw was a 395xp with the same 20" bar.
I have a 346xp for limbing but find I usually just use the 372

Yep,if a person wants to block firewood in a hurry a big saw with moderately short bar is the way to do it. A good majority of the wood I cut, I block with the 395:)

Several Bar Lengths, One Saw

Yep,if a person wants to block firewood in a hurry a big saw with moderately short bar is the way to do it. A good majority of the wood I cut, I block with the 395:)
I've often threatened to have at least 3 bars for my MS 361: 18", 20", and 25". The idea is to use the 18" most of the time, the 20" when I run into some large logs, and the 25" for felling and really big bucking. So far, I haven't bought the 18" bar and chain.

The idea is to reduce the weight you have to throw around. The long bar sometimes causes more trouble than it's worth and adds weight. It also requires more horsepower to pull the chain. What I like about the MS 361 is that it alllows for this good versatility. Few saws really do, but the older MS 290 farm saw does come to mind. I rate the 290 a Best Buy if you can still find one.

Absolutely! I love the 372, but when I'm chunking up the bigger stuff, there are times I wish that 372 was a 395!!!:chainsawguy:

Back