Good wood pile cover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supersammy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I wanted to pass this on to the other members because it has been working good for me. I usually leave my wood pile uncovered during the summer and cover it in the fall. Then after the first couple of frost's I move it near the house. This cuts down on the amount of bugs and small animals/snakes I find. I went to price out polly at home depot and lowes and was shocked at the prices. I ended up finding a solar pool cover by the side of the road and it works great to cover the wood pile.

Nice find on the pool cover. Its nice to recycle things and keep your money instead of giving it to the big retailers. I have a feeling the pool cover may come apart in the winter when it freezes to the logs. That soft rubber doesn't seem to hold up good when its cold. I know this because my neighbor left his outside one winter laying up against his shed. The next spring I saw it in pieces.

Good luck.

A couple years ago I sprayed every layer of firewood with bug killer as I stacked it. I don't know if that did much good, but there weren't many bugs inside. I didn't do that last year, and there were more bugs, but not enough to make me think I needed to spray again this year.

I got some tarps at menards. 10X20 so I cut them in half to be two pieces 5X20 I stack the wood on pallets which I can get two rows of wood next to each other. I can then cover a long row 40 feet long for $9.

Free tarps to cover your wood

If you need a tarp to cover your wood piles try your local lumber store. The tarps that I use I get out of the trash. The lumber store gets them in when they receive large stacks of lumber. They are used to cover the wood to keep it dry. When they get ready to sell the wood they remove the tarps and throw them in the trash. You can cut the tarps to your size. They last about a year or two …….Best of all there FREE

I just bought 10' x 25' of rubber roofing.Expensive and it will last for years and is heavy.It will hold it self in place.

If you need a tarp to cover your wood piles try your local lumber store. The tarps that I use I get out of the trash. The lumber store gets them in when they receive large stacks of lumber. They are used to cover the wood to keep it dry. When they get ready to sell the wood they remove the tarps and throw them in the trash. You can cut the tarps to your size. They last about a year or two …….Best of all there FREE

That is what I use and they work great, got to love the price, most places love to give them away. Here is a pic from last year.

snow_stove2_480.jpg

tarps.jpg

If you need a tarp to cover your wood piles try your local lumber store. The tarps that I use I get out of the trash........

Yes sir, I do the same. I asked a lumber company to save me some and when I went back for them, they gave me about 30 more than I needed. I gave a bunch away but it will be years before I need to get more.

They're tough, work great and I don't have to be nice to them. I used the same one's this year that I used last since I'd already cut them to size.

BTW, I'm a long time lurker and have learned a lot from you guys.

Two sources for tarps.

Any farmers in your area that are using ag-bags for their silage? This stuff is great. It is black on one side and white on the other. It will last for years. If you make arrangements with the farmer to pre-cut the plastic you can end up with a large piece. Many of the farmers will hack off a piece at a time to get to what they need to feed the cows that day.

Another source are truck tarps. If you have any large truck stops in your area go down with a $100 bill in hand and ask on the CB if anyone has any tarps for sale. With the economy like it is now days it seems as if you can always find someone looking for cash to buy fuel to get home with. Truck tarps can not be beat for covering wood, hay, RV's, etc. etc.

Latest posts

Back