Got a compliment from my neighbor today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acer saccharum

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
When bringing the kids to school today one of my neighbors told me how much she likes the burning wood smell coming from my chimney. The funny thing was that I was burning black locust, which I find rather unpleasant. I had just walked out the door and caught the stench of it. I was thinking that I need to mix some oak or cherry in with it so it doesn't smell so bad.

This is not the first time I have received a compliment. Several years ago another neighbor told me he liked walking out of his house on a winter morning and catching a smell of burning wood. Said it made made him feel like he lived in the country, not the burbs. I guess that so long as you are not smoking them out of their house people romanticize the woodsmoke smell.

:agree2: Driving past houses out here in the country, about everyone burns wood. Its easy to tell which ones don't care, and which ones burn dirty by seeing their stacks and smelling them. If its bellowing smoke from the chimney, its gut wrenching. I like the ones that you smell, but can't tell whos burning. Nothing says winter like the smell of the air.

Just a hint of wood smoke is OK but any more than that I don't care for at all.

I agree; enough to smell it, but not enough that you see it.

But some wood is way nicer than others. I was driving home tonight and I could smell somebody down the road was burning hickory. A really sweet and unmistakable scent.

I'm just goofy enough, I swear it's half the reason I burn! I save the Hickory, Cherry, etc. for the nights where the wind will be just right, so I can step outside (beer in hand) and get a good whiff of the stuff.

around here, its nice to smell the red alder smoke in the air, but as others have said, too much smoke makes it no good, every now and then we can throw some cherry, or apple wood in, but haven't had enough opportunity to determine how it smells...

I'm surprised you can smell your smoke so much. Other than for a few minutes when I first start a fire, I never smell mine.

I usually smell wood smoke when its a burn day and everyone lights off their pine needle piles. It's a pleasant smell for about two seconds, then its old.
Dok

not to big on the hardwoods but man smell of burning pinion or douglas fur on those cold nights. it might be blasphemy but cottonwood smells even better than pine on a cold night.

Last edited:
before i burned wood i would pay no attnetion at all to wood smoke ...now its like a sweet cologne and i purposely go out on my deck to take in some cherry and maple aroma ,it is the smell of independance and the scent of knowing my own 2 hands made my family warm on a cold frigid night.

I never hardly notice our smoke try to burn hot enough there isn't much. Once in a while I notice. Just the other day our closest neighbor (elderly lady) said she loved when she could smell it and wished we hadn't gotten rid of our rooster either it all reminded her of her childhood. Good neighbor to have.:clap:

The only compliment I get from my neighbors is "Your stupid dog's got in my trash again, next time im gonna shoot them". I like my neighbors.

The neighbor 2 doors down from me always complained about the cats next door getting in his trash. One night he saw the lid on his can off and hear rustling inside so it put the lid back on and banged the can on the ground a few times. When he pulled the top of he was eye to eye with a skunk. He missed 3 days of work because he smelled so bad. Mighty funny but not for him.
Phil

The neighbor 2 doors down from me always complained about the cats next door getting in his trash. One night he saw the lid on his can off and hear rustling inside so it put the lid back on and banged the can on the ground a few times. When he pulled the top of he was eye to eye with a skunk. He missed 3 days of work because he smelled so bad. Mighty funny but not for him.
Phil

NOW THATS FUNNY!! THANKS FOR THE LAUGH.........
:clap:

Back