Got a Free Stihl 028 AV SUPER....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
In good shape...

Besides the 60psi compression and roasted jug and piston. Saw was very very wel maintained all its life, it shows in the fact there are no redneck repairs on it, fairly clean..unfortunately at some point someone blew off the floacked screen filter and damaged it, and it ate some dirt, then it appears it was straight gassed, which finished it off.

It has the electronic Quick Stop as well...and a 20" bar I beleive.

Think the saw is worth fixing as a firewood saw, or junk it, hang onto it for a parts saw or what?

Does baileys have chinese pistons/cylinders for an 028 Super?

nothing in the aftermarket...crap.

I dont even want to know what STIHL wants for parts...if they are even available? Probably over 300 bucks.

I pretty much know the cylinder is shot, no way the piston could die like it did and not drag the cylinder with it.

Where is the Serial on these saws? I looked on the case next to the muffler and there is nothing there at all.

Search ebay there are top end kits but you don't want to see the price.:jawdrop:..........454

028 super uses a 46mm piston.

Last edited:
Just go throw it in the dump red. I bet ya dont even have one. I have yet to see you post pics of any saw really except you load of junk. Come on, prove me wrong. 60psi? Come on...

Just go throw it in the dump red. I bet ya dont even have one. I have yet to see you post pics of any saw really except you load of junk. Come on, prove me wrong. 60psi? Come on...

Yes, 60 psi, actually it was flicking as high as 64, but never crossed the 65 line. This was with the choke OPEN, Throttle held OPEN, etc..

When I got the muffler off it was painfully obvious why it was so low. the piston is wiped bad, deep vertical scoring, gouges, ring damage, I didnt pull the carb/intake to look at that side of the piston, but seeing the damaged air filter there is really no need.

What's funny is is came into the shop for something totally unrelated...but when I pulled the rope and there was very little resistance, I knew it was much worse than a simple leak.

I even did a rope test for all you AS'rs...about 4-5 seconds from flush with the recoil housing to the end of the rope, which is about 3.5 feet.

Screw pics. I never post pics, and the one time I did, everyone ripped on my stuff, so you'll just have to use your imagination.

Don't buy the chinese junk. You can get a Tecomec 028S P&C for about $110 or so... and those are close to oem quality (Tecomec was a supplier to Stihl back on the 028 days...

Thanks Andy, that price is not absurd or anything like that.

Where can I get Tecomac stuff?

It does look like a sturdy, nice saw, havent really looked at it much, Ive been playing with my new PE-200. But the Stihl is nice, I like the feel of the rear handle, but the mono-lever is kinda small.

Is it normal to have to use a scrench to loosen the air filter cover? getting it past that first click is hard just using your fingers.

He wont post pics because he is full of crap. Come on red, post pics of these stihls you dont own. Just like the 026 that a dozen members tried to GIVE you parts for, and you had every excuse in the book to turn down! Give me a break...dude, you need to get a life.

Thanks Andy, 150 is still much much less than 454..haha

I suppose Ill have to start a list for this saw..

P&C
impulse line
Fuel line
Gas cap/gasket
air filter
Fuel filter
plug

Is it worth modifying the "cage" over the exhaust port, or is it adequate?

He wont post pics because he is full of crap. Come on red, post pics of these stihls you dont own. Just like the 026 that a dozen members tried to GIVE you parts for, and you had every excuse in the book to turn down! Give me a break...dude, you need to get a life.

You really are clueless arent you fella?

I dont do handouts, case closed. And it's a MS-260. not an 026. I dont want to feel like I owe anyone anything, ever. I strive to exist debt free on all levels, people start giving me parts and labor, I get this feeling like I owe them something, and it lingers on me when I go to use that peice of equipment.

Back