Got a Free Stihl 028 AV SUPER....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
man I just saw some good used 028 piston and cylinder sets on ebay for less than $85 and new for $169. Ebay is where I get all my stuff if the price of new is to high for my taste.

oh yeah, welcome to the 028 club......

Thanks Andy, 150 is still much much less than 454..haha

I suppose Ill have to start a list for this saw..

P&C
impulse line
Fuel line
Gas cap/gasket
air filter
Fuel filter
plug

Is it worth modifying the "cage" over the exhaust port, or is it adequate?

Get the gasket set and do the seals (unless they have been replaced they are ~ 20 years old), cheap insurance for a new P/C

I'd pull the clutch drum off and inspect bearing, check bar rails for trueness and square up if needed. You'll have these off if you do seals.

If chain will need replacing consider a rim for the clutch drive too.

+1 on the Tecomec kits, I've used them on 038s.

You really are clueless arent you fella?

I dont do handouts, case closed. And it's a MS-260. not an 026. I dont want to feel like I owe anyone anything, ever. I strive to exist debt free on all levels, people start giving me parts and labor, I get this feeling like I owe them something, and it lingers on me when I go to use that peice of equipment.

You dont do handouts ??

Hmmmm.... Did you not state that this saw was given to you.

So, you will take a free saw, but not any parts for it.. :monkey:

I strive to exist debt free on all levels, people start giving me parts and labor, I get this feeling like I owe them something, and it lingers on me when I go to use that peice of equipment.

So Red, if & when you rebuild this saw, arent you going to feel like you owe them something.

How long do you think it will linger on when you use the saw ?

Red:

If you really do work at an OPE shop, why would you not take Andy's advice & get all the parts (or as least as much of them as you can) from one of your distributors @ cost & fix that saw up ????

Im sure that between your employer, the good members of A/S & ebay that you could get it going in no time.

Guys, if you haven't yet figured it out, red's at least 90% full of manure.
Hi Mr. Pot, My name is Mr. Kettle, gee your sure are black. Thanks for the chuckle Space. I assume you have no mirrors in your apartment.:biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2: Red's only 50 % full of manure anyway.

Last edited:
I thumbed through some of our aftermarket books today and I couldnt find any better deals than the Tecomac Andy showed me, found a couple but im sure they are Chinese junk. I think one I found was from "ahlborn" or something like that...who knows?

Our distributors dont really do old stihl parts, we do like Rotary, Silver Streak, ECHO, but we dont get aftermarket parts for saws on a "dealer" basis. I can get new stihl parts..but it's one of those cost prohibitive type deals.

By the way...To get the saw "free" I had to wave the 15 dollar diagnostic fee...so i guess you could say it cost me 15 dollars?

You guys never cease to amaze me, always so willing to pick things apart...you just dont get my method, if I wanted the saw running immediatly, I could have it running like new in 2 days, I could have all my Stihls running like new in 3 days that matter. Unfortunately stihls seem to always need a piston and cylinder to run, at the very least. This means that my wallet would have to open pretty wide to purchase parts, and the only way Ill do it is to buy new parts if at all possible. Ive got a ton of running saws, but no wood to cut, I dont need any more running saws, and I certainlydont need to be investing 250+ dollars in getting a saw running just so it can sit in the shed unused. Buy for prices ranging from Free to 15 dollars, It's hard to pass up owning another project. Ive got the MS-260 ready to accept a piston and cylinder/gaskets, and it will run great, Ive got a 2nd MS-260 "PRO", that is ready to accept a piston and cylinder/gaskets, and it will run great. Ive got a nice 025 that just needs a fuel line and a bar/chain, Ive got this 028 Super AV that no doubt with a piston and Cylinder would run great and be a great saw..but Im just not motivated to spend the money on something I dont need at the moment.

For instance Im going tomorrow after the race to hopefully lay down cash on a pristine 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (SJ chassis), with a 360 AMC V8, 4X4, all options...I can use that truck to supplement my Ram and Corvette. For what im laying down for the truck I could have all the Stihls running and new bars and chains all around...and they'd all be sitting in the shed for God only knows how long.

Do I have intentions of getting them all running, honestly, YES I DO. But it's not a priority at the moment. The CS-520 and Husky 350, along with my other runners, are spread pretty thin as it is resizing firewood, and stuff like that. ad 4 more saws and the gas would start going bad between uses.

Back