Got a home depot Makita DCS6401 today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rented one of these before and the safety chain it came with was worthless. The guy at the rental counter was telling me how he has a ton of these barley used chains at home because they just throw them out once they come back. Seems like such a waste but I'm sure they due do it to mitigate liability if anyone hurts themself while using it.

The HD chain is more condom than cutter. Get rid of it ASAP. I have mine, unused hanging on my wall in my garage. I laugh every time I see it.

Great saw, great price. Get a yellow chain, learn how to sharpen and have fun.

Based on what I can tell from the photos, your chain appears to be a full comp chisel with plenty of life left. Should be a good chain but I figure it needs a good sharpening. Have it professionally sharpened and buy another. Use them until you can learn to sharpen yourself, it is wise to have a back-up chain anyway. Check out you-tube videos........ect.

Ok, so can you guys s-p-e-l-l out the chain situation for me. LOL. I'm wanting to go by the stihl dealer today and get a yellow full chisel (or should I get semi chisel?) but I don't exactly know what I need. What length or how many teeth and whatnot do I tell him? Pretty much, what do I need to tell the dude to get the right chain? LOL. Thanks for the help also, I appreciate it!

Last edited:
I run the Stihl RSC a lot with 72 drive links on a 20" bar a lot and really like it.

If you're new to saws i suggest a RSC3 chisel chain (green) on a saw with that much power to start out. Look on the bar it will tell you what chain you need i know its 3/8 and 72 drive link but the gauge could be .050,.058 or .063 or just take the bar with you and they will match it up.

If using Stihl chain I'd suggest RMC (semi-chisel)

It's a little slower than full chisel but a lot more forgiving and lasts quite a bit longer between sharpenings in not quite so clean or old timber.

Little concerned about your Dolmar dealer, though- be must be a noob too- to not know the affiliation?
:what:

:agree2: +2 If the dealer doesn't know that Dolmar and Makita are in the game together, they are not so much a noob, as a knob.

Congrats on the find, the saw looks almost new... and welcome to AS. :msp_smile:

Hey ilinimud,

Congrats on the score. Did you get it at the Marion Home Depot by any chance?

If yes, were there any more :D

Berardino

Nice score! Usually the HD saws come with safety chains which - as previously stated - are useless. Yours has an actual chain! The oilers on these saws have a plastic adjuster that wears out kind of quickly. Easy to rebuild, I'll see if I can find a link to that thread for you. Parts are easily ordered through Baileys. I rebuilt mine and it's like the Exxon Valdez! Stick with semi-chisel when starting out as the rounded profile lasts longer between sharpenings, especially with "dirty" wood - that which has dirt in the bark.

Check your PM's...

Hey ilinimud,

Congrats on the score. Did you get it at the Marion Home Depot by any chance?

If yes, were there any more :D

Berardino

It was at the Evansville Indiana store on the east side of town, and yes they did have another one. Might be worth a try to call and see if they still have it if your ever over that way!

I got a piece of cardboard out today and it wasn't spraying any oil on it. When I went to adjust the screw under it, it just started cracking and breaking into pieces. I got it turned up enough and now it is spraying oil on it. Loving it so far!

Latest posts

Back