Got a long overdue firewood fix today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I actually had a Saturday with no work or kid ballgames today. Wifey gave the green light for a woods trip AFTER I picked up, unloaded, and reassembled a trundle bunk bed for the daughter's room. For anyone not in the know like me this morning, a trundle bunk bed comes with an extra bed, mattress, and hardware in a drawer under the bunks u get to haul, build and swear at for an extra hour. Good times. It actually went smoother than usual with only one bolt missing that I actually had a match for. Take that Murphy! Anyhow, I had a nice 3 hour window to work some toys/tools. Only two gator loads brought home, split and stacked, but another cords worth dropped and partially bucked for next time! And because u guys motivate me to get out there I remembered to take some pics!:

image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg
The vintage 1983 jonsered 630 was the only saw taken today because of time limitations and she spun like a top. Love that ole saw. I got a bit long on my cuts as u can see but ash is no match for a fiskars! Great firewood. Great splitting axe. I'm ready for an isocore 8 lb version!
I had to take a break from splitting to chat with my brother. He, his boy and our nephew called in one of the coyotes that has been chasing our neighbor's dog around. My 13 yr old nephew nailed it with his shotgun and from his smile he couldn't be prouder!:
image.jpg
It was a Good Day!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 11
I like my gator for hualing in wood too. Mines only 2wh drive but I havent gotten it stuck yet. I only cut one tree this weekend, but it was a dosey. 28in at the butt red oak. Got over 2 full cords out of it. Split it at the site and hauled it home on my dump trailer. I've had the best luck this year scroungeing that I have ever had. Got about 8 full cords just waiting on me to drag the splitter out and go to work.

image.jpg
Nice haul. Nice wood stacks. Congratulations on the nice day. What John Deere is that? Would you buy it again?
Thanks hinerman. Mine is the more basic trail gator 4x2. I love it! I have a low clearance basement garage that won't allow a cab(and to be honest a low clearance budget to buy one of the newer 4x4 models! 3 kids! Lol). I had an older AMT 600 with 4x4 but it only did 13 mph tops. My wood lot is 5 miles from home and the 4x2's 23 mph top end gain meant I didn't have to trailer and could get a couple loads without trailering. I did mount a winch which is not rated for but so far so good! If it gets too mucky I use the quad and a trailer but the gator is so much easier. 4x2s have a big bed too!

I say use what ya got to get what you need! That's a fine operation your running if you ask me. Only got one question what are you feeding those big splits?

I actually had a Saturday with no work or kid ballgames today. Wifey gave the green light for a woods trip AFTER I picked up, unloaded, and reassembled a trundle bunk bed for the daughter's room. For anyone not in the know like me this morning, a trundle bunk bed comes with an extra bed, mattress, and hardware in a drawer under the bunks u get to haul, build and swear at for an extra hour. Good times. It actually went smoother than usual with only one bolt missing that I actually had a match for. Take that Murphy! Anyhow, I had a nice 3 hour window to work some toys/tools. Only two gator loads brought home, split and stacked, but another cords worth dropped and partially bucked for next time! And because u guys motivate me to get out there I remembered to take some pics!:

View attachment 484169

View attachment 484170 View attachment 484171
The vintage 1983 jonsered 630 was the only saw taken today because of time limitations and she spun like a top. Love that ole saw. I got a bit long on my cuts as u can see but ash is no match for a fiskars! Great firewood. Great splitting axe. I'm ready for an isocore 8 lb version!
I had to take a break from splitting to chat with my brother. He, his boy and our nephew called in one of the coyotes that has been chasing our neighbor's dog around. My 13 yr old nephew nailed it with his shotgun and from his smile he couldn't be prouder!:
View attachment 484175
It was a Good Day!

>It was a Good Day!

for all, but the coyote! but chasing dogs is not a healthy sport!! lol. nice pix, lots of wood, looks like u all had good weather, too... like ur old saw... :)

I say use what ya got to get what you need! That's a fine operation your running if you ask me. Only got one question what are you feeding those big splits?
Feeding a basic hotblast 1557 furnace that likes wood. Holds up to 26". I usually only cut 20-24" but I'm gonna have to put a tape on some of those!

Looks like you had a good day all around. That is an impressive load on that gator, and great pictures. One question where in the heck is all of your snow? Didn't you get clipped by that Blizzard that went through Iowa Tuesday that left 12" of snow in my driveway?

Looks like you had a good day all around. That is an impressive load on that gator, and great pictures. One question where in the heck is all of your snow? Didn't you get clipped by that Blizzard that went through Iowa Tuesday that left 12" of snow in my driveway?
Extremely mild winter here in Ohio so far. I've used only half the wood I did last year at this point and have only used the snow plow once. No complaining here!

That looks like an awesome time to me. You've got the tools to get things done too. It doesn't take much time if you're ready to roll, and no matter what you feel productive doing it no matter how much u bring home. Where in OH are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like an awesome time to me. You've got the tools to get things done too. It doesn't take much time if you're ready to roll, and no matter what you feel productive doing it no matter how much u bring home. Where in OH are you?

I live close to Mansfield. About halfway between Cleveland and Columbus. Temp got to at least to 51 today but old man winter is coming tomorrow. A hand picked load of ash an oak is stocked in the basement on the ready!

I'm about 45 mins west of you between Marion and marysville. Yes been too soft to cut much, but hoping I can get out soon. The weather has been nice

I'm about 45 mins west of you between Marion and marysville. Yes been too soft to cut much, but hoping I can get out soon. The weather has been nice
Your reply reminds me of a local joke my cousin ALWAYS replies when someone new asks him where he's from:
Engagement, Ohio.
It's halfway between Dayton and Marion.
(Insert canned laughter here.)
And yes it's that bad when he tells it too. Lol

Latest posts

Back