got a new chain hope it was worth it lol

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kansas logger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey everybody i just bought a new chain and its a oilomatic 3 with a yellow link i know not the anti kickback chain but are they woth the 26 dollars i spent for it and do they last longer . the last chain i bought was a oregon and it only lasted 3 sharpenings so let me know what u guys think of this chain ... thanks mike from kansas

hey everybody i just bought a new chain and its a oilomatic 3 with a yellow link i know not the anti kickback chain but are they woth the 26 dollars i spent for it and do they last longer . the last chain i bought was a oregon and it only lasted 3 sharpenings so let me know what u guys think of this chain ... thanks mike from kansas

Welcome to AS.

I have the Oilomatic 3 for my 026 and I like it just fine.

3 Sharpenings out of a chain? Are you using a grinder or having someone else sharpen your chains? I can't even tell you how many times I can sharpen a chain, by hand, or with a grinder. I do know it's lots.

Also what size saw/bar?

by hand and it was a 5/32 im sorry not a 7/32 and my bad i meant to hit the 6 instead of a 3 . but i thought i would get atleast 10 out of it u know . i know i wont buy a oregon chain again are they a low grade chain?

by hand and it was a 5/32 im sorry not a 7/32 and my bad i meant to hit the 6 instead of a 3 . but i thought i would get atleast 10 out of it u know . i know i wont buy a oregon chain again are they a low grade chain?
That must be a pretty mean file you have there. I get more sharpenings than that using a grinder.

well i took this job as a part time logger with no experience so its possiple i suck at it but i dont know cause i have sharpened other chains with no problem and stay sharp for bucking unless u put it in the dirt .. also it was a low kick back chain if that makes any diff....

well i took this job as a part time logger with no experience so its possiple i suck at it but i dont know cause i have sharpened other chains with no problem and stay sharp for bucking unless u put it in the dirt .. also it was a low kick back chain if that makes any diff....
It don't make any difference what kind of chain. You should only have to hit it a couple of times unless you really rock one out.

I don't know anything about low lick-back chain but six filings shouldn't wear out any chain. Maybe if you use a lighter touch on the file you'll get better results. If you haven't rocked your chain or run it until it's dead dull all it takes is a few light strokes if it's being done correctly.

Try using the AS search function...there's a ton of information on filing.

Hate to mention this, but you took the rakers down every time and only got three sharpenings

:jawdrop:

Latest posts

Back