Got a new log splitter but...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldoglogger

Reaction score
My dad didnt hitch it up right and it rolled off the hitch into a ditch. The lever was bent at about 45 degrees and the motor took a pretty big hit. The Carb looks mashed. I feel really bad for my dad. He was pretty pumped about not needing me to come over and split wood for him.

Any suggestions as to what to do? I didnt try to start it.

man that sucks!!! I am not sure of the damage to the engine but if the carb is damaged you might check into a new one at a repair shop. should be fairly simple to swap out

hmmm

I haven't seen a good man yet from Kentucky who couldn't straighten something out with a hammer, me being from KY..Lol ...just kidding ..But dang that is some bad news.

I hate it when e coli happens. People are always in the market for a used splitter. If you got to take the hit, take it and buy a new one. Life is too short. You will laught about this some day.

No safety chains I take it...

I borrowed a trailer from a guy last night to take a buddy's truck to the mechanic. He shows up with a 6x16 tandem axle with half working lights, no electric brakes and no pin for the hitch. Brave souls. I found a pin but I wasn't going to rewire the trailer lights. I suppose when you beg to borrow one, you get what you get.

Ian

Last edited:
I haven't seen a good man yet from Kentucky who couldn't straighten something out with a hammer, me being from KY..Lol ...just kidding ..But dang that is some bad news.
:agree2:
Sorry to hear about your bad news Bulldoglogger,But it could always have been worse. At least it went into the ditch instead of on coming traffic. I've got a feeling you will have her going in no time. Welcome aboard you have just entered a forum with a wealth of knowledge.

RodneyG

Sh!t happens...and it could have been worse.

To me it's a good day when ya can fix something for less than $50 and you're right around there. Good luck with the repairs and post a follow up.

will post pics

I am going to check to see who hitched it up. If someone there hitched it up, they will take it back! If not, i guess we have no choice. Pops was pretty vague about it last night and i have learned not to push him for info when he is that disappointed. I am going to see if they will take it back. Who knows, maybe i can get a softy on the phone and work a deal.

There were chains attached too. I just don't know how it happened.

wrong size ball?

sounds like the coupler wasn't tightened enough.i never trust anyone to hook up anything to the vehicle i'm driving.i learned that all the time.my buddies get pissed when they hook me up and i get out and double check before i take off.

sounds like the coupler wasn't tightened enough.i never trust anyone to hook up anything to the vehicle i'm driving.i learned that all the time.my buddies get pissed when they hook me up and i get out and double check before i take off.

:agree2: I have had a few hitches where the catch did not hold the ball very well. I had one pop off luckily I was pulling a water tank in the yard and it did not hurt anything. Just dump the rest of the tank go tighten the nut on the bottom hitch so it held the ball good and refilled the tank.

Bummer hope ya don't have any problems getting it fixed.

Billy

First off, im glad no one,including your father got hurt. With that said,I would consider his auto insurance if he has a low deductible,and hasnt had a claim in a long time.If he doesnt want to subimt a claim,I would try to fix it,and use it as is unless its beyond your capablity to fix,if it is dump it on ebay or sell as is locally.A properly connected splitter cant come off unless 3 things fail or the hitch on the truck.I think you need to go over that with him when the dust settles.:greenchainsaw:

are you sure it's the hitch at all?

towing smaller splitters at speed is risky at best.... all it takes is hitting a few rough spots, which could flip splitter over... destroying it.

there's already been a few posts about this happening towing splitters. best to tow at lower speeds... just as important pick a nice smooth road as the path if possible.

My dad didnt hitch it up right and it rolled off the hitch into a ditch. The lever was bent at about 45 degrees and the motor took a pretty big hit. The Carb looks mashed. I feel really bad for my dad. He was pretty pumped about not needing me to come over and split wood for him.

Any suggestions as to what to do? I didnt try to start it.

Went through this about this time two years ago.

Pull off the carb and gas tank, clean both out, usually it's just the air filter that bets buggerd up, might have to tweak the linkage.
The levers are easy to take off, a hammer or a vise and you can straighten it out.
These newer motors with all the platic on them, the damage ussually looks worse than it is. It should be easy enough to fix, just sucks.

just got off the phone

with TSC. They were the ones who hitched it. I spoke with the guy who actually hitched it up. He got pissy with me right off the bat. Company policy to do that i guess. He blamed my dad for not checking his work before he left. The real pisser about the whole ordeal is that he drove about 4.5 miles hitched and was 50 YARDS FROM THE DRIVEWAY when it came off. It was dark last night and i did not look to see if he had gone off the road.

it's sad but when I purchased my 35 ton splitter from TSC... no one warned me about not towing it too fast. in fact some of the TSC staff told me folks tow TSC splitters at highway speed with no problems.

lucky for me... had prior warnings from other AS members. the tow back home was 45 miles. I took the slowest possible route and slowed down for intersections where there were more rough spots.

properly inflated wheels/tires will do fine at highway speeds... but if you hit say a few potholes at speed... there's a high probability splitter could flip over.

don't believe me... call up technical at Speeco who makes splitters for TSC.

with TSC. They were the ones who hitched it. I spoke with the guy who actually hitched it up. He got pissy with me right off the bat. Company policy to do that i guess. He blamed my dad for not checking his work before he left. The real pisser about the whole ordeal is that he drove about 4.5 miles hitched and was 50 YARDS FROM THE DRIVEWAY when it came off. It was dark last night and i did not look to see if he had gone off the road.

Last edited:
Back