Got a RazurSharp II Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally got a used Silver RazurSharp II grinder. I've been wanting to go to square chains for a while but am not willing to file all my work chains. I never sharpen a chain in the field. I just take plenty of spares.

Anyway, I got little "more" than I bargained for, as often happens on eBay and Craigslist deals. I bought this particular grinder off Craigslist on the west coast. The grinder was tossed in a box and some newspaper wadded up around it. Hardly sufficient for a heavy grinder. The work light was broken off the motor and the lamp shade busted. Upon taking the end of the motor off to fix the light, I found that the end of the motor was full of dried mud from mud dabbers or the like. It's a good thing I had reason to go in there so that I could clean it all out. The bearing was also a little gritty so I popped the seal, cleaned it out and regreased it. It's now smooth as silk. Believe it or not, it all cleaned up real well and should be good to go for a long time now. While the grinder's apart, I'm cleaning it up and going to give it a fresh coat of paint. Now I've just got to figure out how to setup and use this thing!

386494697_GrLVA-M.jpg
386494724_uBRha-M.jpg

386494978_YwuQt-M.jpg
386495188_Bf68m-M.jpg

386495186_zGYrE-M.jpg

I think thats the same one I was gonna buy...... did you get it from a guy named Ron????

Something just didn't feel quite right about it and I passed.

I think thats the same one I was gonna buy...... did you get it from a guy named Ron????

Something just didn't feel quite right about it and I passed.

Yes it was. He's getting out of the logging business and was selling off his gear. It's probably been at least a month since I agreed to buy it and just got it today. It was really dirty but will clean up fine. Hopefully a light won't be too expensive.

I just checked and I PayPaled him for it a month ago today. It was probably 2-4 weeks before that when I agreed to buy it. Then I never heard from him and couldn't reach him. I thought the deal was gone. Then he called me up one day, asked if I still wanted it, and gave me his PayPal addy. A month later it finally shows up. I supposed it was worth the wait to get a $1000 grinder for $200 + shipping. I still don't like finding it packaged so poorly and full of dirt. It's a shame I had to forgo the stand since it would have been cost prohibitive to ship it. I'll just have to make me one up. No biggie.

Last edited:
So what is the big chunk of "additional" steel, looked like it had been cut with a blowtorch???

For $200.00 + shipping I would of taken a chance on it also. When you get it going please post some more pics. :cheers:

I just checked and I PayPaled him for it a month ago today. It was probably 2-4 weeks before that when I agreed to buy it. Then I never heard from him and couldn't reach him. I thought the deal was gone. Then he called me up one day, asked if I still wanted it, and gave me his PayPal addy. A month later it finally shows up. I supposed it was worth the wait to get a $1000 grinder for $200 + shipping. I still don't like finding it packaged so poorly and full of dirt. It's a shame I had to forgo the stand since it would have been cost prohibitive to ship it. I'll just have to make me one up. No biggie.

First off Brad.....Stop your whining.....hehe....

You only paid 200.00 + shipping so nothing to complain about......Get a truck rim and weld a plate on it with a pipe what ever lenght you desire.....works real good.....

Last edited:
So what is the big chunk of "additional" steel, looked like it had been cut with a blowtorch???

At some point the grinder must have been dropped and the mount for grinder broke off. Instead of doing it right, they took a plasma cutter, cut off a chunk of 1/2" steel and bolted it into the two pieces. They also welded a huge rib on for a stiffner. Totally unnecessary for what this grinder weighs. I've already disassembled the entire grinder and given the plate to my machinist friend. He'll grind a groove in the crack and have it TIG welded. Then he'll remove the bolted on plate of steel and groove/weld the other side. I just can't understand people not taking care of a $1000 grinder. It'll be right when I'm done and well worth the trouble for the price. Even if I couldn't weld the crack, I would have still bought the grinder, removed the rib stiffner, cleaned up the plasma cutting and painted the thing. It was 100% functional as delivered, just not pretty or right.

Brad that light assembly is Part # 15-SA list is 27.00

Also get the blue ceramic wheel for it.........

That's not bad. Do they show a price for the main plate that everything is mounted to? I shouldn't need one but am curious jus in case. I don't see a blue wheel at Baileys. Is it listed somewhere? Is your IPL/price list electronic?

Last edited:
Did you use grease suitable for Electric motors? If not, it will just run out when it gets hot.

Put in some new bearings... they are cheap.. and very cheap insurance. The end bearing should have some form of preload spring behind it (usually a wave washer). It's required to keep the bearings slightly preloaded as the rotor expands and contracts.

That rotor is a perfect candidate for evaporust - won't affect the aluminum.

Brad that light assembly is Part # 15-SA list is 27.00

Also get the blue ceramic wheel for it.........

+1 on blue ceramic wheel. I get mine at Madsens.

IMO they cut faster and cooler than the stock wheels and give a comparable edge.

This is to rub it in on you guys that passed on a $200 Silvey Razur Sharp II because it looked too rough. Here are some before and after pics.

Filthy dirty and the worst hack job repair on the cracked main plate.
391378985_XVvdo-M.jpg
391378773_kYrSz-M.jpg

391378997_XLiwA-M.jpg
391378881_ca7pk-M.jpg

I'll have to buy a new lamp for it. I'll probably replace the rubber bellows and one or two bend adjuster screws as well.
391378308_Btcfu-M.jpg
391378275_UH5Qs-M.jpg

Here's where I had the main plate TIG welded.
391378084_VtCif-M.jpg
391378029_uefBM-M.jpg

Look pretty, but how does it work? ;)

I found one at work - been tripping over it for 6 months now.. One day I have to crank it up and see if I like it.

Which direction are you running the wheel?

Silvey says to run the wheel from the outside the point inward direction.

One issue in practicing on such a nasty chain is that you don't get much feedback about if your are overheating cutters. For me, with my square grinder it is much easier to overheat an edge edge than my round grinder.

Last edited:
Back