Got a RazurSharp II Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad,
You did a great job fixing up the grinder.:clap: Later on please give us a report on how you like cutting with square ground chain in hardwood. I recently bought a bunch of square ground chains but I have not tried one out yet.

Here's some info I got from Stihl. It's the manual sharpening of a square chain, but it might help as a comparison.

Note that the top plate angle, as a result of all the other angles, is 20 degrees.

Last edited:
Ever considered running coolent (and as suitable spash guard, GFCI etc...)?

Never considered it. It would require a lot of work to add the system and I like to get my eyes pretty close to where it would be spraying.

As for the tooth..,, It looks pretty good for soft wood and very clean conditions. The slight hook leading to a fine point is not good for staying sharp. For a work chain it is usually considered desirable to have no hook and it is easier to adjust the angle of your side plate if it is straight instead of curved.
Also for a work chain there is no reason to grind your gullet as deep or far as it is. You are only keeping the side plate from hitting side of the kerf.
If you are not working on a work chain then don't pay any attention to my rambling.

Never considered it. It would require a lot of work to add the system and I like to get my eyes pretty close to where it would be spraying.

As for the tooth..,, It looks pretty good for soft wood and very clean conditions. The slight hook leading to a fine point is not good for staying sharp. For a work chain it is usually considered desirable to have no hook and it is easier to adjust the angle of your side plate if it is straight instead of curved.
Also for a work chain there is no reason to grind your gullet as deep or far as it is. You are only keeping the side plate from hitting side of the kerf.
If you are not working on a work chain then don't pay any attention to my rambling.

I appreciate all the input. I'm not sure what I'm working on:). I quickly found out that the hook is created by going just a little too far in with the tooth. I really need to get that new light ordered and mounted. You really need good light to see the corner.

Do I need a wider edge on my wheel so that the side edge goes deeper?

Nice score Brad!!:clap: A kid I know from here, who's been working in NE Washington falling--had a nice grinder like that in the back of his crummy... I think it ran on 12v though? He said it was over $1,000.00 new. He grinds up 4-5 chains in the evening, for the next days cutting.

Latest posts

Back