Got a red top Dolly 6400 at an Amish auction :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the westspartan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Picked up a 6400 today for $10!!!!!!!! at an Amish auction. It has real low compression. I haven't even taken it out of the car since I bought it, but I assume it needs a top end. Trying to decide between aftermarket and Mahle OEM. What would you do? What are the best kits for these? I have never owned a Dolmar. What is different if anything about the red-top saws of this series? Anything I should be looking out for?

Thanks Brad! It has been a while. When we were at the auction I was standing with my wife and said' "I won't be bidding on any saws" and then within a couple minutes I saw this thing going for nothing and had to jump in. I don't think any of those fellas had any idea what a Dolmar was :). A cleaner looking Poulan woodshark went for $25 hahaha!

I figured I would go OEM. What is the best place to get an OEM kit and what is a good price on them? What are other problem areas with this saw that I should check out?

Thanks Brad! It has been a while. When we were at the auction I was standing with my wife and said' "I won't be bidding on any saws" and then within a couple minutes I saw this thing going for nothing and had to jump in. I don't think any of those fellas had any idea what a Dolmar was :). A cleaner looking Poulan woodshark went for $25 hahaha!

I figured I would go OEM. What is the best place to get an OEM kit and what is a good price on them? What are other problem areas with this saw that I should check out?
I am not a 7900 expert. Someone with more knowledge on them will kick in shortly.

Once it's running add an HD filter kit Or the black top. Red top saws have open holes in the cover that let allot of chips through and plug the filter pretty quick. Oem topend is best and they are reasonable

I'm going to stick my neck out here and tell you to grab an aftermarket BB kit.
However like Brad said OEM kits for this particular model are a really good price (compared to equivalent Stihl or Husqvarna OEM kits) and top notch quality.
On a stock saw you'll see little difference in performance between OEM and aftermarket BB but if you ever plan on getting some porting done definitely grab the OEM Mahle. If left stock don't bother modifying the muffler either. It will just make it louder :)
I've put 1000's of hours on these saws (I've owned four of them - still have two) and have had very few issues. Like others have mentioned grab an OEM Heavy Duty filter kit from a sponsor such as Edge & Engine. If you decide on an OEM Mahle kit Edge & Engine are also excellent. If you need parts also contact them. I have IPL's and workshop manuals if you need them - send me an email if you do.
I've had three of these saws ported by Brad (blsnelling) and can certainly recommend his work. Zero failures in a work environment and still pulling good compression after many many hours.

EDIT: Just read that Edge & Engine don't do internet sales anymore. Does anybody know why? Dealer rules?

I would say go OEM. Aftermarket you get more cc's but its just a bored out OEM-copy casting, so the intake and exhaust ports are actually smaller due the the geometery. At least thats what I hear, anyways I went with OEM from Cassadega and have been very pleased.
Some things to look out for is whether or not your saw has the decomp on the side or on top, as I believe the 7900 cylinder has it on the side.
I'll try to find a link to the thread I made when I did my conversion.
Post some pics!

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Aftermarket you get more cc's but its just a bored out OEM-copy casting, so the intake and exhaust ports are actually smaller due the the geometery. At least thats what I hear

You're correct on the port geometry. You get just over 6cc more with a BB kit but as far as actual performance goes the 85cc BB kits in stock form are very similar to the 79cc OEM kit.

If you decide to rebuild it as a 6400.. I have a take off piston and cylinder with brand new base gasket. The saw never had gas in it but was run at the factory to tune. $100 I will pay shipping.. New Take off Mahle P&C for 6400 Thanks Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just buy the Big Bore kit from Bailey's. It's around $100. I would also recommend the HD air filter setup. If you have black oiler hoses, you should upgrade to the newer green ones, about $30. Every Makita/Dolmar I've had, the bar oil runs out as fast as you can fill it up. :rolleyes:
I have a good source of parts (best prices I've found and fast shipping). PM me if you're interested... :chainsaw:

I love my Dolmar!image.jpg

If you decide to rebuild it as a 6400.. I have a take off piston and cylinder with brand new base gasket. The saw never had gas in it but was run at the factory to tune. $100 I will pay shipping.. New Take off Mahle P&C for 6400 Thanks Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I think I will build it as a 7900 (or 8400), but that is a good option. I think I will use this saw to run my lewis winch, so I want it to have as much power as possible.

.... Like others have mentioned grab an OEM Heavy Duty filter kit from a sponsor such as Edge & Engine. If you decide on an OEM Mahle kit Edge & Engine are also excellent. If you need parts also contact them.

EDIT: Just read that Edge & Engine don't do internet sales anymore. Does anybody know why? Dealer rules?

Just use the telephone. I bought a load of parts a few weeks ago. Email works also. Google "Edge & Engine".

Just buy the Big Bore kit from Bailey's. It's around $100. I would also recommend the HD air filter setup. If you have black oiler hoses, you should upgrade to the newer green ones, about $30. Every Makita/Dolmar I've had, the bar oil runs out as fast as you can fill it up. :rolleyes:
I have a good source of parts (best prices I've found and fast shipping). PM me if you're interested... :chainsaw:

I love my Dolmar!View attachment 354695
MAKE SURE you get a good set of rings with any kit you buy!

Once it's running add an HD filter kit Or the black top. Red top saws have open holes in the cover that let allot of chips through and plug the filter pretty quick. Oem topend is best and they are reasonable
I didn't see your post the first time. I need another oil line kit, I'll PM you. ;)

Back