Got 'er Done! Finsished Truck Paint and Graphics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You did the vinyl letters yourself - steady hands and a good eye, sweet!! Wraps are getting cheaper here, thinking about doing my truck.

Can you see the front deck? especially in tight neighborhoods. Congrats, now go make money to pay it off, winters around the corner.:clap:Did you say you could put a plow on the front - even better!

I agree but if dump nearby......what ev'

Very nicely conceived, planned and executed project.

Yeah, I realized that what I said could be taken a certain way. I think it looks great and a good job on it. I guess I started thinking about how fast I would have that truck full. Probably about an hour. If I pull out a removal, does it go in the same truck? Then I was thinking I would of just made a bigger box and carry the goodies seperate. Just figured there must be another truck to help out. My bad. Honestly, it does look nice!
Jeff :heart:

Yeah, I realized that what I said could be taken a certain way. I think it looks great and a good job on it. I guess I started thinking about how fast I would have that truck full. Probably about an hour. If I pull out a removal, does it go in the same truck? Then I was thinking I would of just made a bigger box and carry the goodies seperate. Just figured there must be another truck to help out. My bad. Honestly, it does look nice!
Jeff :heart:

Actually, my only other truck (besides pickup) is a 1-ton with 12' dump bed. I figure I can fill this new truck's chip box in about 1/2 hour of heavy chipping with some big wood included. That said, remember, I'm only part-time so not knocking out big trees every day of the week. I do a lot of pruning and small/medium removals. Very few really big trees. I just like the 18" chipper because it's so easy to feed material through it and allows me to do the big stuff when that occasion arises.

Also, I do have a several close-by dump sites. Lots of ranchers around here that need the chips for muddy feed lots.

Considering that my 1-ton WAS my chip truck and only had an 8' dump box on it with a 4' platform in front of it, this 11' chip box will give me about 40% more capacity. For me, that's huge. It'll do me just fine. ;)

Very nicely done! Did you photograph the fabrication stages to go from mancab to mini party deck? Been looking very seriously at the Boxer Minis and like the idea of putting it on the truck behind the cab like you did. What was your inspiration?

Actually, my only other truck (besides pickup) is a 1-ton with 12' dump bed. I figure I can fill this new truck's chip box in about 1/2 hour of heavy chipping with some big wood included. That said, remember, I'm only part-time so not knocking out big trees every day of the week. I do a lot of pruning and small/medium removals. Very few really big trees. I just like the 18" chipper because it's so easy to feed material through it and allows me to do the big stuff when that occasion arises.

Also, I do have a several close-by dump sites. Lots of ranchers around here that need the chips for muddy feed lots.

Considering that my 1-ton WAS my chip truck and only had an 8' dump box on it with a 4' platform in front of it, this 11' chip box will give me about 40% more capacity. For me, that's huge. It'll do me just fine. ;)

Again, sorry-
Jeff

Again, sorry-
Jeff

No need to appologize. If I was full time and doing more big tree removals, I would have a bigger truck with a 24' long chip box like I used to have when I was full time. When you're full time, there's probably more time to make that extra trip for a loader. when you're part-time, every minute counts. I've got to do 40 hours worth of tree work in only 20 hours so effeciency and good equipment is the key for me. This new truck setup is about as efficient as I can get for a 2-man crew.

Very nicely done! Did you photograph the fabrication stages to go from mancab to mini party deck? Been looking very seriously at the Boxer Minis and like the idea of putting it on the truck behind the cab like you did. What was your inspiration?

I did photograph some progress photos. Check out the thread entitled 'Transporting a Mini' in the Heavy Equipment forum.

My inspirtation for this truck was my old truck setup - a 1-ton with a 12' flatbed that I built an 8' chip box on the rear and hauled my mini on the front. (pics of that setup also on the aforementioned thread).

Brakes seem good on it but she's still virgin since the restoration. Getting a couple mechanical things done this week and will give her a christening on friday with 3 big takedowns.

I'll heed your warning and take those first few stops easy to see how she does when fully loaded. I do have brakes on the chipper so that should help.

Thanks to everyone for all the compliments. It's been an exciting past month with two new babies in the family - this one and the one that poops a lot (but is the cuter of the two)... ; )

Its no doubt deserves its own "Tracks " so to speak and god help the poor bastard thats dumb enough to pull out in front of ya .. Mine has brakes for the chipper as well that truck empty only weighs about 3/4 ton more than the machine , it kinda of snaked to the traffic lights , I actually sold the truck for that reason .. Heres mine from back in the day
picture.php

Last edited:
the truck looks great now. I love the carrier rack in the front. saves having to have another vehicle to tow it.

the truck looks great now. I love the carrier rack in the front. saves having to have another vehicle to tow it.

Only neg is that you have to take the big truck out to move the mini. Love the truck but rather have my little tilt trailer for the mini and we are planning to put in a shelf in front for additional implements.

Also that is a very steep movement to put the mini on/off.... where you are barely going off the ground for an on/off on a tilt trailer or low trailer with upfolding ramps.

well, getting the chipper painted in a couple of weeks. Figured it would complete the look if it was painted white and had some new lettering on it. Not sure if it will get the wheel simulators though...maybe?

I've loaded and unloaded the mini many times now. Very smooth. Setup works as well or better than I had hoped. I can even keep the grapple on the mini if I'm going a short distance. I load it grapple first and the grapple hangs over the passenger side about 12" further than the mirror on the door. Not something I'd want if traveling any kind of distance but if going just a few blocks, it saves disconnecting the grapple. I first thought it might be a bit light on the front end and want to tip backwards when going up the ramps but it loaded just great. At the breakover point, it's a bit tricky to keep it aligned with the platform so it doesn't scrape either the headache rack or the chip box but, if I go slow, it's fine. I just have to keep the grapple low.

treevet - I also have a trailer for the mini. i don't HAVE to use the chip truck to haul it around - it just saves me an extra trip by being able to haul it on the truck. If I'm just grinding stumps or loading logs, i can haul the mini and my sc252 side by side on my 14' trailer behind my f350 with 12' dump bed.

AP

Last edited:
Awesome job AP. I have been thinking of how to transport a mini when I buy one and this is exactly how I am going to do it. Again, great job and congrats!!

Latest posts

Back