Got My new Howard,Ohio mechanical log splitter!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pcoz88

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
LOVE it!!!!:eek:uttahere2::eek:uttahere2::eek:uttahere2::eek:uttahere2:Its a very well built machine!!!Built by an Amish Man in his machine shop.Its amazing to run that machine.Pulled it home behind my truck 100 miles.

Man that machine goes through the wood!!!:clap::clap::clap::clap:
Thanks dalmatian90!!

Last edited:
Where do I see it? I've looked and can't find the thread.

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/181787.htm

Of course we're waiting for pcoz to post in focus pics of his new baby :)

I think this is the current kinetic line up out there:

This is one of the three direct Super Split clones I know of (Amish/Howard, WoodWolf from New Hampshire, and Gripo out of Quebec). They might have minor sheetmetal and frame differences, but the basic layout is the same.

LogRite builds a processor around a Super Split painted LogRite Blue.

DR's which looks different enough to me I don't think it really can be called a clone of the Super Split. Fraternal twin maybe.

And the Speeco which seems the most different (engine mounting location, the two-handed operation).

Last edited:
Melvin Yoder
Flack Hill Machine LTD
7799 Flack Road
Howard,Ohio 43028

Here's a phone # you can leave a message or get lucky and you might get Melvin(its a community phone)740-427-2723 And its not any where near Howard,Ohio but Howard must be the closest town with a post office.

Pete

Saw this blog post tonight, and I have a good guess Melvin Yoder's machine shop looks a lot like this woodworking shop:

Amish Stories: A factory tour of an Amish wood working business. Lapp's wood shop

Different Amish groups & church districts vary on how what technology they adopt. This group looks like they prefer air; I know of other Amish businesses that will use electricity for the business not home. My guess is they have an electric-start gasoline powered compressor behind the building so it runs automatically to charge the air tanks without someone running outside all the time. And they don't mind the guy having a website. (Years ago there was an Amish draftsman who I posted on some of the same websites with; he had access to the internet at his job where he had to look up information from suppliers on the web).

They're also mostly using natural light, I've seen pics of other Amish shops & stores like that -- but you'll notice in the pic before the one with the dog, there's a pair of propane light mantles on the left hand side.

Is an interesting side benefit of using air powered instead of electric powered tools in the shop, they've setup those little water jets you usually see used on CNC mills to wash away metal shavings to instead blow air to remove sawdust.

Lot of Amish businesses these days. They're just breeding too darn fast to find enough farmland that suits their farming and family/church life styles. Doubling in population every 20 years, and about 80% of those born to Amish families chose to stay in the Amish church. Saw a story on one of the blogs the other day mentioning an Amish woman who had 104 Grandchildren, and I don't think that is terribly unusual for them today.

Last edited:
Awesome splitter

Awesome Splitter.Has split everything I've put on it!!!Very well built!!:rock::rock::rock::clap::eek:uttahere2:

Saw a story on one of the blogs the other day mentioning an Amish woman who had 104 Grandchildren, and I don't think that is terribly unusual for them today.

That comment produced images of the grand canyon for me just now:) Or throwing chairs down a hallway, She must have been good looking in her day eh!

We have a scienctologist up this way who runs a farm on tripple A batteries, no kids yetand he is always sweating....

Latest posts

Back