Got reminded why cutting over your head is a bad idea...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had an ice storm damaged white poplar on the back side of my property that I've been staring at for years. It had a beautiful canopy at one time and we had many a campfire under its dancing white backed leaves in its hey day. Many friends commented how pretty it was. But I knew it for the softwood stick dropper it was even before the ice wiped out its sprawling white limbs. I've been reluctant to cut it down not only because its terrible firewood(I think I even prefer boxelder better!), but because its close to my shed. And to be totally honest, I've had a hankering to carve the split trunk ugly into a backyard wood sculpture to feed my hidden artistic side. Well after a long cold snap where I couldn't get to the woods and a house full of kids(sleepover!) yesterday was the day!

As you can see, I let the left side tear off the stump where I didn't want it to, and the right trunk was worse because while eating saw chips I couldn't see that I wasn't finishing the felling cut. After a wedge and nip it fell the way I wanted, but not before the wife and kids got to watch firsthand out the window my cool "back slowly away from the felling cut stroll" get foiled by a snow bank that I swear is not there 10 months out of the year. I even let the saw go flying to boot. Zero on style points but everything fell where it was needed to go in the end so the pride will take it. Got a chance to start widdling away today and here's a quick snap in waning daylight of where I'm at so far. Keep in mind this is only my second try at this carving gig so I don't think Michaelangelo is going to lose his day job.

Yep, we finally got to see some grass again! And Mr. Bigwood wasn't the only one with sawchips down his crotch by the time I was done! I went through a gallon and a half of gas until I used up every bit at the house. Might tweak his legs a bit more but I've sated my appetite for carving for now.

wow.. i'm impressed I couldn't craft anything that kewl. very nice work for sure.

wow.. i'm impressed I couldn't craft anything that kewl. very nice work for sure.

That is some nice work there!! Props to you for thinking ahead and creating that in your head. That is sure to get some laughs!!

Back