Got the "scrap" 041G running - with video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad,,,,,It turns out to run like a top from what I heard in the video!

Don't you just love to hear the 041 idle,,,,low and slow! I know it was simply power of suggestion, but I thought I even smelled it,,,,,,,Haha!

I haven't run my 041 farm boss in years now, and have oil in the cylinder as I said in the other thread. It's sitting on my work bench,,,,,,,,and well, it's calling my name!!!! Haha!

That saw looks in almost pristine condition,,,nothing broken,,,and the paint is in good shape as well.

What a score for you!

Bob

Man I love the sound of those saws chewing away on a log. Lucky, lucky find and good work getting it going. Rep sent. :clap:

Thanks for all the kind words guys - may the good luck/karma/whatever repay you in kind. As much as I love a good fluke find, I've been on the outside looking in on such events all too often as well. This saw wasn't my "holy grail" as has been discussed in another thread recently, but it was very high on my list of wanted saws, especially of ones that would be relatively easier to find compared to the truly rare saws (Solo Twin etc.)

I took it to work today and raised some eyebrows! My boss is in his mid forties, and said he used 041s all the time growing up to get firewood. He said, "Well that's a funny looking '41 you have there" when I pulled up with it strapped to the front rack of my quad. It started in 2 pulls after being left since last night - not bad at all - and he was really surprised with that. Unfortunately there wasn't any wood lying around to put it into, and I couldn't use it as a work saw there because of lack of chainbrake etc.; the boss doesn't like taking chances with WCB - they're sneaky SOBs up here.

Got some new rubber on the handle

Well I think it's pretty much fully restored now with the exception of the non-"G" top cover. I picked up some Grote 3/4" ID heater hose yesterday (our saw dealer here also happens to be a NAPA auto parts dealer) for a little over a buck a foot, and spent a couple hours this afternoon redoing three 041 handles I had. Believe me when I tell you that even with compressed air and soapy water it was still one of the toughest jobs I've done in a while. Here's what I came up with:

attachment.php

The 041 G handle is the one at bottom-right; to its left is a non-AV standard 041 handle, and on top is a full-wrap AV handle without the rubber mounts attached. This pic was taken before I trimmed the ends up properly.

And here's how the new rubber looks on the 'G:

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=125456&stc=1&d=1266280715

I don't think I could have gotten it back much closer to stock. That hose worked pretty well; and all the twisting and turning pretty much wore all the white lettering off the rubber so it doesn't look like it was done with heater hose. I think it wore a bit of skin off my hands too! They're still sore...

All in all I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. I still have one more 041 handle to do, but it's 1" diameter so this stuff isn't going to cut it. I asked at NAPA and they said their heater hose only goes up to the 3/4" ID, so I'll have to look for something else for the bigger handles I have around.

Back