Got to log some big ones and break in a brand new 880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuzzy

Trail Gnome
Reaction score
So my friend owns a landscaping business and was tasked with getting some trees down on his neighbor's (and friend's) property. Knowing my love for saws, he asked if I wanted to come help; obviously I jumped! The goal was to clear out a number of alders for firewood and then take down a number of large cedars and doug firs to sell.

Obligatory saw line-up pic. Brand new 880, 660, my workhorse 046, 361, and a couple top handles.

kK9KUIV.jpg

Getting the alders cleaned up.

NNaXFvm.jpg

Jesse started things off with the first cedar. Wouldn't have been my choice of face cuts on a tree meant to maximize board feet, but it's his biz and he seems to like that open face for everything.

s0FWdv3.jpg

At that point, he asked me to run the back cut. I ended up plunging in to set the hinge I wanted (and attempt to avoid major fiber pull) and then dogged in and let that beast eat.

Ilqz6SH.jpg

Tree measured 53" if I heard right. No I didn't cut through the hinge; this was after I'd cut off the whiskers to avoid any impalement. That was a damn satisfying sound when it hit the ground!

NjcdJiY.jpg

Next on the agenda came the firs.

8w3RV7i.jpg

I opted to use the 660 on these (880 on stump for size reference). I honestly would have rather been using my ported 046, but I lost the bar locator pin earlier in the day during an unfortunate pinch. It was starting to get a little sketchy with wind gusts picking up and more supposedly coming, so I dropped them as quickly as I could.

KPvACRt.jpg

Jesse finished up the day on this cedar. We had one bad situation develop when one of the trunks blew out backwards (should have chained the tree together!). Luckily we both got out of the way fast enough, cleaned up the mess, and completed the back cut.

a6CzScw.jpg

It was damn fun day! Having never run an 880, I was still grinning, and sore, when I got home. :bowdown::givebeer:

And because I know someone will say it: yes I like to wear chaps when in the brush or when out in the woods; no I don't like to wear them in wide open falling situations when I'd rather run away quickly. Just my personal preference.

Looks like a good day to me. How many gallons of mix did you go through?

How many gallons of mix did you go through?

Ha! Good question... There were two different mix containers in use, so hard to say exactly. Based on how many times I filled up, I'd say at least a few. The big trees were either cut as 32 or 40 footers, so not much bucking going on for those.

I figure the 880 is a bit thirsty. I know a 660 is thirsty also.

You got a MS 880 R? Double cool! I've never seen one in captivity, only on the open range.

Nice pics, thanks

Is the 660 or 880 ported ?

No, both are bone stock as far as I know. My friend isn't really a saw guy so to speak; just buys them for his business and sends them into the shop when they need attention. On occasion, he uses a chainsaw mill and just upgraded to a larger Alaskan, which then sparked the desire to order up the 880.

It was interesting using the stock 660 next to my ported, screaming 046... I'd like my own 660 someday, but based on this, I'd be getting it ported pretty quick. The saw had nuts, but certainly wasn't blowing me away. I can only imagine what a ported 880 would feel like, but even stock it was a damn fun feeling! 44"ish bar buried and just eating!!

So my friend owns a landscaping business and was tasked with getting some trees down on his neighbor's (and friend's) property. Knowing my love for saws, he asked if I wanted to come help; obviously I jumped! The goal was to clear out a number of alders for firewood and then take down a number of large cedars and doug firs to sell.

Obligatory saw line-up pic. Brand new 880, 660, my workhorse 046, 361, and a couple top handles.

kK9KUIV.jpg

Getting the alders cleaned up.

NNaXFvm.jpg

Jesse started things off with the first cedar. Wouldn't have been my choice of face cuts on a tree meant to maximize board feet, but it's his biz and he seems to like that open face for everything.

s0FWdv3.jpg

At that point, he asked me to run the back cut. I ended up plunging in to set the hinge I wanted (and attempt to avoid major fiber pull) and then dogged in and let that beast eat.

Ilqz6SH.jpg

Tree measured 53" if I heard right. No I didn't cut through the hinge; this was after I'd cut off the whiskers to avoid any impalement. That was a damn satisfying sound when it hit the ground!

NjcdJiY.jpg

Next on the agenda came the firs.

8w3RV7i.jpg

I opted to use the 660 on these (880 on stump for size reference). I honestly would have rather been using my ported 046, but I lost the bar locator pin earlier in the day during an unfortunate pinch. It was starting to get a little sketchy with wind gusts picking up and more supposedly coming, so I dropped them as quickly as I could.

KPvACRt.jpg

Jesse finished up the day on this cedar. We had one bad situation develop when one of the trunks blew out backwards (should have chained the tree together!). Luckily we both got out of the way fast enough, cleaned up the mess, and completed the back cut.

a6CzScw.jpg

It was damn fun day! Having never run an 880, I was still grinning, and sore, when I got home. :bowdown::givebeer:

Nice!!!!!

Hey Nuzz!! Whatcha doin' with Cedar and Alders, and hows come there's no snow on the ground? We have an inch or so still....Lemme guess, ya moved again before winter.:laugh:

Good ta see ya back on the board either way.:clap:

Nice!!!!!

Hey Nuzz!! Whatcha doin' with Cedar and Alders, and hows come there's no snow on the ground? We have an inch or so still....Lemme guess, ya moved again before winter.:laugh:

Good ta see ya back on the board either way.:clap:

Dinger! Long time, no chat! Life is funny sometimes... We moved back to Washington a little over a year ago. I miss the Michigan snow, and there's no wood heat in the house we're currently in, but cutting the big boys has definitely been fun! :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back