Got to ride the BIG crane!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bermie

Bermie

Addicted to ArboristSite
I had a great day on Friday, I was subbing on a massive Phoenix Palm removal at the back of a construction site.
I got to ride the man cage and the hook on the biggest mobile crane on the Island - 126ton (close in) with over a 300' reach.
In between lifting AC units to the roof, it lifted me to dismantle the 65' monster, all the fronds off, fell out the head, then a section of trunk. Then I went up on the hook, set a big strop, and we cut the rest of the trunk in one, what was left weighed 6 tons.
All the office workers lining the windows, all the construction workers watching...Got it done, no damage, no injuries!

Bermie

Bermie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Cool stuff Bermie, must have been a rush fer ya! So where're the pics of the 65' tree? (just wonderin' as I calculate 11' max per floor of a building :D ) ;)
Great pics! :clap: :clap:

:cheers:

Serge

The picture doesn't show the bottom of the palm which was set down in a garden well at ground floor level, you can't see another whole foor, estimate 65'ish to the top of the fronds, give or take a few feet!
I had concrete blocks to stand on inside the cage so I could reach over the rail (and a bit of ballast too!)

Last edited:

Ed*L

ArboristSite Guru
Nice job Bermie!!!!!!
It's always fun to get a crane ride! There is a little learning curve when you are cutting out of the free swinging basket, but you figure it out quickly.

The 1.5 mil on the crane is a pretty close figure. A friend of mine works for a crane rental business, their 130 ton was right at 1 mil several years ago.

Ed

BostonBull

BostonBull

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hiya Jim!
Apparently that crane is worth $1.5 million by the time its landed here, they charge it out at $800 an HOUR!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The two of ours together are still close to $100,000 short of that monster!
That was a once in a lifetime opportunity riding an all terrain like that beast! Lucky gal.

Bermie

Bermie

Addicted to ArboristSite
It's always fun to get a crane ride! There is a little learning curve when you are cutting out of the free swinging basket, but you figure it out quickly

Ed

Nice work, looks like fun. Do they have to ballast off the other side of the island when they make a 126 ton lift with that thing? :) :clap:

Yes, first time working out of a basket, using the pushing chain made for a bit of swinging around, lovely four storey plate glass window about 18" behind me too!
As for the ballast...there must be a secret computer balancing system hidden deep beneath the Island...with all the construction excavation, heavy equipment, if we are not careful we'll alter the rotation of the planet by what...1/10000000.....of a millisecond, just think what havoc that will play with daylight saving time:chainsaw: :dizzy: