Got your wood in yet??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My cabin has low E glass, r32 + in the ceiling and every wall (interior to)and ceiling is insulated, fairly efficient wood stove, place is very easy to heat.
also very easy to keep cool in the summer, the low e glass is unbelievable.
BBB

Superinsulation is your best energy dollar spent. *Nothing* else is a cheap and effective medium to long range, which I will define as a ten to thirty year mortgage. It works, I worked on a few way back when the concept came out. It is simply unreal how little outside heat and air conditioning you need once your home is *truly* superinsulated. Much more common in Europe where they have had high energy bills like forever and the forests have been cut down to nubbins for centuries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superinsulation

If I was building a new home, I would consider this. I think with the new windows, doors and upgrading the insulation in the attic will be a big improvement. Less drafty house means less wood for the stove.

I got about a half cord of finely split white pine and roughly 4 wheelbarrows of smallish red maple limbs that have dried out after a couple weeks in the basement while running furnace on scrap wood. Small hot A. M. fires have been all thats needed around these parts for now and I think next weekend I will begin loading up basement with the primo stuff.I try to wait till forecast calls for snow before I completely fill up basement.

You guys have to realize that CT lives very near the ocean which also warms things up considerably from someone say living further in at that same latitude. Plus he does a lot of volunteer cutting so only brings home the most primo stuff. So between those two variables and his fanatical attention to details I wouldn't doubt it. Although we don't know his square footage either to substantiate further.

Yes an no. I live an hour from the ocean - but 1000 feet above sea level. We have no coastal plain in much of New England.Drive a half hour, and you're in a different climate zone. I've diven from a Portsmouth mix/rain to a Winnipesaukee snow welter with a foot of snow waiting in the driveway. As the crow flies, 35 miles.

Don't know where CTYank's at, but in New England it's possible to drive 90 mins from sea level to 4k above. (It's called the Spaulding Turnpike - Seacoast to MtWashington Valey in like 60 mi.)

Unless that is a typo, the theory that wood rots after a just a few years of exposure, just got blown out of the water.

Hedge/Osage Orange is in a whole different league when it comes to wood. The stuff can be buried for generations and not rot, and it throws an incredibly hot flame. I've heard stories of hedge logs creating white hot jets like a blowtorch. It will burn up a combustion chamber if you aren't careful, most stove makers void the warranty if hedge is burned in the unit.

I got another pickup load of Red Oak yesterday, it was a lot of work because I had to split some big, heavy rounds so they could be loaded. And some of them were gnarly, twisted grained. But the 6lb maul did them in except for a few chunks that had to be noodled up. Got it all split up and stacked this afternoon.

IMAG0660.jpg IMAG0663.jpg

Hedge/Osage Orange is in a whole different league when it comes to wood. The stuff can be buried for generations and not rot, and it throws an incredibly hot flame. I've heard stories of hedge logs creating white hot jets like a blowtorch. It will burn up a combustion chamber if you aren't careful, most stove makers void the warranty if hedge is burned in the unit.

I got another pickup load of Red Oak yesterday, it was a lot of work because I had to split some big, heavy rounds so they could be loaded. And some of them were gnarly, twisted grained. But the 6lb maul did them in except for a few chunks that had to be noodled up. Got it all split up and stacked this afternoon.

View attachment 379370 View attachment 379371
cut down farm place full of white oak,,and one HUGE hackberry!! the biggest oak had a 38 dbh truck,,and had a bunch of large branches growing out, up to 20 foot on the trunk.....that whole dang thing will have to be noodled!!!!!!!!!!! but man,,will that stuff burn!!!

I've been chasing a nice variety of hardwoods, have 17 truckloads in the shed. Going after more today.
Hedgeapple/Osage orange is big medicine when burning. I have seen it burn thru an old Ashley brand woodstove, the firebox looked like drooping hot wax that ran down the inside.
I generally drive past the hedge apple because it's such a pain in the arse to process,,twisted, knotty trunks, thorns, even the smallest twigs need touched with the chainsaw,,,lots of it around here, no thanks.

I've been chasing a nice variety of hardwoods, have 17 truckloads in the shed. Going after more today.
Hedgeapple/Osage orange is big medicine when burning. I have seen it burn thru an old Ashley brand woodstove, the firebox looked like drooping hot wax that ran down the inside.
I generally drive past the hedge apple because it's such a pain in the arse to process,,twisted, knotty trunks, thorns, even the smallest twigs need touched with the chainsaw,,,lots of it around here, no thanks.

Hedge is good in small doses, a wrist sized split thrown in with a load of hardwood will raise the BTUs and not do damage. But it's a gnarly tree to process as you said. The little spur like thorns will tear you up and the stuff dulls chain quicker than anything else.

Latest posts

Back