Granberg Alaskan mill... questions before I purchase one.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyndsurfr

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for a granberg alaskan. Thinking of getting the 30 inch model as I have no need for a bigger one and honestly don't want to try to find a HUGE saw to run it. I'll mainly be doing white pine, possibly some yellow pine as well. Any hardwoods, I would rather use for firewood except for the occasional black locust that I would use for poles on pole barns but I wouldn't have to "mill" those anyhow, just square up the tops... OK... back to the post...

First, with a 30 inch mill, looks like I can cut up to 26 inches with it. Would a 372xp be maddeningly slow with this? I've already kinda reserved myself to finding a bigger saw, but I want a dedicated mill saw and would be buying one for this anyhow. Something like a 395 or a 120 series will most likely be out of my price range... I don't want to burn up the saw prematurely.

Second... I've never had the chance to even put my hands on one of these before, been trying to find someone who owns one that would at least let me observe it being operated in person but no luck in my area, this type of thing just isn't really popular here... In regards to using it, the setup looks like since the powerhead is on one side that the mill would try to flip over on that side and thereby make a poor cut, is this something that I'll have to fight against? Any other functionality issues that make it "hard" to use?

Would I be better off spending that money on something else? I like the 'type' of mill since I won't be processing huge amounts of lumber AND that I don't have to move the logs at all, just buck them into size, maybe drag them around a bit so their easier to access and then start cutting. So, is there something else that you think I would be happier with? Somewhere around a thousand bucks is my limit for a used good compression saw and a mill... Might be able to add a little to that, but not $1500 for sure.

thanks!

Where are you in Appalachia? I've got a 30" setup and a 32" bar. A 372 isn't going to cut it. My ported 288 is stretched out all it wants.. I'm building a 394. I'll be glad to let you hold it and we'll mill a log if you want, I'm new but learning fast.

First, with a 30 inch mill, looks like I can cut up to 26 inches with it.
26" will require a 36" bar. If you use a 30" bar you'll be limited to closer to a 24" cut.

Would a 372xp be maddeningly slow with this?
Yes it will be slow (so is ALL CS milling!) but as most of your cuts are likely to be less than 20" if the saw is well maintained and not pushed too hard it is a strong saw so it will survive.
I prefer to use a Stihl 441 (also 70cc) on logs smaller that 18 - 20" than any of my big saws - I don't care that it is slower, cutting time is rarely the rate limiting step for my milling and I arrive at the the end of the day less worn out using a smaller saw.

Jimmy, thank you for the offer! I'm over in far western n.c. up in the mountains, so looks like I'm a pretty good way from you. A 288 seems to be what I'll be looking for in my price range... Just a little sketch about buying a saw on ebay that I can't check compression on myself. I guess a seller with good feedback is worth a gamble though.

Bob, I was going off the numbers I thought I remembered from the granberg site... I don't think I'll be milling anything over 24-26 inches tops, anything else and I'll just do something else with it. I'm in no great rush for this, but will be getting the mill pretty soon, I can wait on the saw till I find a good deal. Might keep my eyes out on here for one :)

I still have a question though, do these mills try to 'tip' towards the powerhead side? And is there something better than a Granberg in the same ballpark of price range and works similarly?

How close to TN are you? I'll have a 394 and a 288 together here soon. I built my mill and can get 30" with a 36" bar. A 90cc saw is a little slow on it so I wouldn't even attempt a 70cc saw. You can buy a larger mill and adjust it in for a smaller bar to use on small logs with the 372.

I'm in the tri-state junction of tn, ga, and n.c. little town called Murphy, N.C. I'm definitely with you on not burning up my 372, I like it too much to abuse it like that anyhow haha... just thought I'd ask. :)

Save the money on the mill by building your own and put the savings into a bigger saw.

I have a 28" bar on my 064 (85cc), in a 42" Panther Alaskan mill. I agree with previous comments. Get a bigger mill and bigger saw than you think you'll need... you may just get a wild hair one day want to give a bigger log a shot. I get nearly a 23" cut on a 28" bar. In harder woods like oak, I'm using most of the muscle the saw has (it is not a modded saw). I also have a Granberg small mill and I can say they make a good product. It's not nearly as cheap as making your own, but they make a solid CSM and plenty of people use them. Not to preach what has already been preached many times here, but keeping your chain sharp and the log on a decline makes a big difference. I run a 40:1 mix on an old and well used saw and it's still kicking, compression is good and the piston is pretty.
Any milling, even on a smaller saw, is better than not milling at all.
Good luck and enjoy!

haha, you guys are making me think about building one... I know I can, just for the money, it looks like I'd be ahead time wise by just buying one... that might change though hehehe

I have a MkIII, and I do most of my milling with a 372XPW. I have milled over 10 mbf to date. I have used the 075 for a small amount of it, but the lion share has been with the 372. One thing that speeds up things is having more than one saw available, I use the 372 with the MkIII to open the log, then use another saw outfitted with my home made mini mill, to edge, the. I go to slicing boards with the MKIII to finish off the log. Used saws are a bargain, I have several, most were free, a little elbow grease and a few cheap parts and they are in good working order. The single best improvement has been the re tooling with picco chain. Sped up my feed rate and reduced the sawdust output at the same time.

I have milled with my 441. If all you have is your 372 and have the wood to mill, get the mill and start milling. Then make your own decision. Using it a few times is not going to hurt anything. If you get into and realize you'll be milling every week, then you'll want something bigger.

You may do it a few times and realize it is a pain in the a$$ and have no desire to continue doing it.

Check the CS milling 101 to get some pointers, but it would be worth driving a good distance to see it done by somebody in the know and be able to use their gear.

very good point groundup... at this point I haven't spent any money and I'd like to see it done. The fella who offered is at least 6 hours one way though, the truck fuel alone would pay for a mill. I have some folks asking around locally for me. There have to be some folks near here who mill with one.

very good point groundup... at this point I haven't spent any money and I'd like to see it done. The fella who offered is at least 6 hours one way though, the truck fuel alone would pay for a mill. I have some folks asking around locally for me. There have to be some folks near here who mill with one.
I am over in Stecoah I just finished building a chainsaw mill that's my version of the Norwood portable chainsaw mill,today I dropped a poplar that's 18" dia. The next dry day I plan on milling it with a Stihl 441 magnum if you would like to come over and see it run let me know

6 hours is too far, keep asking somebody may come out of the wood work.

If you have decent wood to mill you may offer it to the forum that anybody who has a mill can come to your place show you how to mill and keep some wood in return. If somebody is getting some wood they need, it may make it worth their while to drive out to you.

There are also guys on this site that don't have a 9 to 5 and really live and breathe this stuff and a long drive is more doable for them.

That's how I originally got first hand experience with a mill.

I'm about 2 hours away.

Back