granberg file-n-joint

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countryboypa31

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
How good is the file n joint filing system?

are their any better filing systems that are not motorized?

Last edited:
For the money, they are a good value, in my opinion. I have have sharped several chains with mine with very good sucess.

You could pay more for a Stihl branded one, but somebody will have to advise if they are any better.

Check out the search function on here, not being an arse, but there are tons of info on this..... I don't own one yet,but from what I've researched it is a good system if you only have a saw or two like me. I've been hand filing with a guide for now and have done fine, but will plan on using the guide in the field for touch ups and the other at home......good luck!

I purchased one, and used it for the first time, and it worked like a champ. Took me a bit of time to get used to setting it up, but after that it is a breeze shaprpening. Thanks Bailey's :clap:

Those jigs are the best way for me to file a chain. I think it is the best non-motorized system out there (I'M ALWAYS OPEN TO BE PROVEN WRONG ON THIS POINT!).

Having said that, personally I went with a dremel system about 5 years ago and haven't used mine since then, but if I ever need to sharpen a saw in the woods or during a power failure that is what I'd use.

I just looked at the one I used to use most and it was made by efco. I have another older model also that I bought at a garage sale that is better made but can't find it right now to see what brand it is. The only part that really wears on them is the plastic bushings the top guide rod runs in. This old one I got has bronze bushings so I imagine that would last forever. So if you have to compare 2 brands, pick the one that has the better looking guide bushings.

Last edited:
I have used one of these since the late 70's. I still have it and use it to true things up after to many field sharpening's.
Mine has the brass bushings!

Back