Grandpa's logging pics, circa 1907

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taxmantoo

Plays with chainsaws
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
When my grandfather was about 14, his dad dragged him to logging camp to serve as the cook's assistant, or Cookie Boy. It was hard work, starting a couple of hours before sunrise, and finishing well after sundown. The loggers worked long hours, and gramps had to cook breakfast before they got up, and clean up after they finished supper. Great grandfather was a Teamster, and from the pics it appears that grandpa did some driving too.

We believe these pictures are from clear cutting for a road building project along Lake Michigan near Petoskey. The logs were milled at Single Mill near Pellston Michigan.

attachment.php

Above is my grandpa, Jack, about 14 years old, so this is around 1907.

attachment.php

This is Jack's dad, Martin.

attachment.php

And here's the crew, standing in front of Single Mill.

Last edited:
Here's some better pictures of the wheel carriage that the team is hitched to in the picture of Grandpa Jack in the first post.

attachment.php

Above is a period advertisement for the wheels.

attachment.php

And this picture, which appears to be a brand new set of wheels hitched to oxen, came from the Rose City Historical Society's archives. The kids in the pic are identified as Edward Reetz, Buster, and Jerome.

Last edited:
Eh Taxman! Good stuff. Love to see those old pics. That's when the real work was done. Now a days we got guys complaining about a sore wrist from pullin over a chainsaw. What's this world coming too?

Great pics! great history too. I remember 'Big Wheels'. A 90 year-old farmer down the road from my dad's farm had a set and he used them once to move a big old Oak log around for milling. The log was too big for his tractor but those big wheels worked just fine.

Good stuff!!!

Those old big wheels and a couple Mules, could move a LOT of wood and get in and out of where a tractor even today, Couldn't.

Thanks!
Dingeryote

Pretty amazing to see where the world we live in has come from. There is one thing that never stops inspiring.... The Ingenuity of Man!!

Absolutely great post!

!

I'll bet it is a great feeling knowing your family has a bit of logging in the blood. Maybe it will make you feel better about buying expensive saws or at least give you a better excuse to :) Awesome shots. I have never seen a "michigan logging wheel" before. I learn something everyday! Thanks

Latest posts

Back