Greetings From Campbell River, BC.......Newbie Here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just found this site recently and had a few short looks......enough to get me to register and say hello.
I worked in the forest industry here in BC starting in 1967 and ending in 2000, more or less, and saw a few different things and met a few old guys along the way too. I grew up on property that was logged by oxen around the turn of the century (1900) and remember the remnant old trails left behind by those loggers. As well, my Grandfather worked at Fraser Mills for many years and was a well known character back in the '40's and '50's around that area.
I started in Gold River in the pulp mill built there mid '60's by Tahsis Co Ltd. as a warehouseman in Mill Stores. Within a year I was Assistant Receiver-Shipper and then Receiver-Shipper, the highest hourly job in Mill Stores. In 1969 I took over the warehouse at the Gold River Logging Division as the Warehouseman/Buyer and spent the next four years running it.
From there I went to the Charlottes for MacMillan Bloedel, then to Port Renfrew for BCFP Ltd. and later to the Charlottes again for Husby Forest Products. That evolved into opening a one man store in Sandspit selling heavy duty truck parts for Island Mack Truck Sales out of Nanaimo for 3 1/2 years whereupon we shut that store down and I moved here to Campbell River and worked as the road salesman covering Vancouver Island north and west from here. When that ended I worked for Lemare Lake Logging running the Kilpala warehouse for a short period before leaving and taking up what I do now.
Got in on the beginning of grapple yarding here in BC and the first ever Skagit SST Grapple Yarder, serial #1001, belonged to the Gold River Logging Div.
I think a contractor named Chum Carley had #1002 and then later I worked for BCFP Ltd at Port Renfrew and they had #1003.
Two of those ended up later with Lemare Lake Logging out of Port McNeil, where I finished off my career in logging in 2000.

I must say there are some great old pics posted on this site and kudos to you guys who share them. Great stuff.
I knew a few oldtimers who logged during the '30's and '40's and my boss at the logging div. in Gold River actually had his picture on a 50 cent stamp. The picture is of him and another faller leaving the base of a tree as it's coming off the stump. The pic was a still from a film about the new powersaws that were coming out just at the end of WWII. The Pathe News Agency sent a film crew to Stillwater, near Powell River, and they filmed Ed and his partner falling a big tree with their new saw.
I spent a very good night in the bar at the old Gold River Chalet listening to him and another oldtime Hooktender named Harry, (40 years in) talking story one night. I just kept buying rounds and they kept the stories coming.
Great stuff.
Not having any sense of the history of this site yet I'm hoping some of you are open to swapping stories.....true ones or otherwise.......true from me though.

I'm at a busy time in my life right now as I'm handfeeding 20 baby birds every four hours or so, so can't spend a lot of time here, but I am looking forward to meeting some new friends and I'll respond as best I can to any questions.

In the meantime....

Take care.

Dave

Welcome Dave, nice to see westcoast loggers here, not much of a logger myself, spacer, climber, half assed faller. Lived on the Charlottes recently, have an interest in the logging history of this province. Those old time loggers were really men. Those who came later have a tough job, but not the same. Cheers, Jim

Been to C&L a few times over the years getting parts for an old Husky lawnmower I had.
I live about 10 miles south of town so don't get up there every day as I work at home, but I pretty much know all the businesses around this neck of the woods.

And, if the question about Napa Power is asked of me.......I'm not aware of any company by that name around he but the UAP-NAPA dealer is on Ironwood St. and is called Campbell River Equipment Sales, or CRES for short.
I know most of the crew in there for sure. Good bunch of guys.

Take care.

Been to C&L a few times over the years getting parts for an old Husky lawnmower I had.
I live about 10 miles south of town so don't get up there every day as I work at home, but I pretty much know all the businesses around this neck of the woods.

Did you ever get to talk to Simon at C&L??

"Did you ever get to talk to Simon at C&L??"

Maybe.

I can't put a face with that name so may have spoken with him. It's been a couple of years or so since I was last in there too.

And I've always felt uncomfortable being called a "logger" as I never worked in the bush logging, being a Warehouseman and all.

I did work in the bush planting trees and powersaw spacing plantations near Port Renfrew back in the 70's, so I did do some bush time, but I never pulled rigging on a yarder or anything like that. Watched it lots though as we used to double shift like crazy after grapple yarders came out in the late 60's and I'd have to take parts out to the Donkey Doctor every now and then.
I also sat in a helicopter one time as we hovered about 20' directly over a 90' steel tower that was logging. Kind of a neat viewpoint as you can see the whole layout and how the roads are laid out etc.
In 1986 I worked for Husby at Eden Lake in the Charlottes and he was logging with Sikorsky S64-E helicopter out of Medford Oregon at that time. Geeze, could that sucker ever fly logs.
I've pretty well watched the industry go from steel towers, (just post wooden spar times) through grapple yarding, sky-lining, hoe-chucking, heli-logging until now when it's mostly all hydraulic machines and "processors".
Many changes the past 50 years or so.

Take care.

YooHoooo!!! mr. Dave !!!!!

I spent a very good night in the bar at the old Gold River Chalet listening to him and another oldtime Hooktender named Harry, (40 years in) talking story one night. I just kept buying rounds and they kept the stories coming.
Great stuff.
Not having any sense of the history of this site yet I'm hoping some of you are open to swapping stories.....true ones or otherwise.......true from me though.

I'm at a busy time in my life right now as I'm handfeeding 20 baby birds every four hours or so, so can't spend a lot of time here, but I am looking forward to meeting some new friends and I'll respond as best I can to any questions.

In the meantime....

Take care.

Dave

Welcome Dave,,,,

We have some oldtimers that will probably swap some stories with ya as well,
Art Martin will get on here from time to time and has some great stories too..

Send him a private message,,,, and maybe you guys could start a "Back in tha day logging thread" I would love to read it.... :cheers:

LOL

Or we could call it The Old Fogies Foggy Memories Thread too I suppose.

I'm slowly getting some more free time here so maybe will get a story or two out.
And when I went by C&L a week or so ago to meet Simon his partner told me he was "out to lunch". :D

No, really, he was.

I just missed him.

Haven't had a chance to get back yet but I will.

Later.

Take care.

And when I went by C&L a week or so ago to meet Simon his partner told me he was "out to lunch". :D

No, really, he was.

I just missed him.

You'll know he's there when you see that $50k NISMO Frontier out front.:D

LOL

Or we could call it The Old Fogies Foggy Memories Thread too I suppose.

I'm slowly getting some more free time here so maybe will get a story or two out.

No, really, he was.

I just missed him.

Later.

Take care.

Take your camera along next time and have somebody get a picture of you and Simon...

It could bring you a good price if you have it autographed by Simon..

Welcome!
Nice ta see another BC'er coming to visit here :)
Haven't been up in your nick-of-the-woods for a goodly long time but intend to do a road trip or two this summer and head in that direction, probably go chew the fat with Simon too if I get him when he's not out to lunch (jk, the lunch part). Got some good mates spread out all over the north end of the Island and it'd be fun ta touch base with a few and catch up on the new times.

:cheers:

Serge

Welcome to the club an ex Powell River boy here. Played in the bush all the way to Holberg and Winter Harbour Beautiful Wood (I mean country).

:chainsawguy:

Welcome to the club an ex Powell River boy here. Played in the bush all the way to Holberg and Winter Harbour Beautiful Wood (I mean country).

:chainsawguy:

alpha115,
Have you ever heard of a Simonized saw?

Latest posts

Back