Greasability on clutch bearings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keeping the bearing clean and lube is part of maintaining. Slop too much in there it spins out to the clutch shoes.

We have shared chainsaws for trail work that I seem to keep them going. For the past 2 years in a row our Stihl MS362C-M the users seem to not remove the sprocket drum to clean and lube. It has been tagged twice as a non runner. The bearing is so bound up that it is locked solid, so when you pull the starter rope the chain on the bar will spin. Of course with the chain brake on you can not pull the starter rope.

I know it is just simple cleaning and maintenance for us but at the same time it should be for them too. But it seems it is not the case! I think I should do a movie to show them how to clean out the clutch and lube a bearing. I'm sure some of them would not get the oiler rod back in the grove on assembly properly.

Ok rant off....I'm glad I have my own saws to use out on the trail.
I've never, ever lost a clutch. Don't know how I've functioned so long without cleaning and luring clutch bearings on a regular basis.

My 361 has a HD oiler off a 460. It oils extremely well. No oil makes it to the bearing, unless you have a leak at the oil pump.
With an outboard clutch, right where the sprocket side butts up against the oil pump is where bar oil can find itself getting to that bearing. At nearly 3,000rpm, the bearing will pull oil in. I know this isn’t where the oiler is supposed to supply it, but oil gets there on my Echos for sure. The Huskys run a pretty tight show, and my Stihls barely oil the bar. Lol. But on an inboard clutch, I could see it being nearly impossible for bar oil to reach it.

With an outboard clutch, right where the sprocket side butts up against the oil pump is where bar oil can find itself getting to that bearing. At nearly 3,000rpm, the bearing will pull oil in. I know this isn’t where the oiler is supposed to supply it, but oil gets there on my Echos for sure. The Huskys run a pretty tight show, and my Stihls barely oil the bar. Lol. But on an inboard clutch, I could see it being nearly impossible for bar oil to reach it.
Most modern saws don't have an outboard clutch.
For those that do bar oil is not going to be sucked in. Centrifugal force and all.

Most modern saws don't have an outboard clutch.
For those that do bar oil is not going to be sucked in. Centrifugal force and all.
Well I’m definitely wrong then. I’ll have to figure out how that bar oil is getting there. My most modern saw is a 261 and my least favorite.

I’ve never had a a clutch bearing problem but I do think it’sa good idea to have a look at it from time to time. I’ve found Spanish moss in there several times and it really dries things out.

Latest posts

Back