Grease guns.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried some different this morning. I pulled the cap. Packed it some. Grabbed a 1/4 inch nut and placed it on my anvil. Placed the tip of the g(g in it and pressed the plunger with a 3/4 inch bolt. To press the air out. It worked at least this morning. Probably be junk in a few weeks

Do you have a husky? I'll wait for you in saw section asking why my chain runs nonstop when idling or I can't pull the pull cord. With out ripping my shoulder out. Good thing you have 2. 🤣
You will be waiting a long time..
I don't currently have a husky. That doesn't change the fact that greasing tips is a waste of time. Stihl bars haven't had grease holes in years and they work just fine.
In fact the only tip problems I have had occurred when I was logging and then mostly in deep snow conditions. Greasing or not didn't change that.

I never greased a tip in regular use
Have used a grease gun full of anti seize to get rusted roller tips back to life
I'll give a tip a shot of grease if I don't plan on using it for a long time. Or in the case of a Stihl bar I will flood it with penetrating oil. This is just to stop corrosion.

2 year ago I decided to never manually pump another grease gun, I gave away both of the ones I owned and bought a milwaukee m12 grease gun. No more sore hands when greasing tractors or new trailer hubs. Best 150 bucks ever spent.
The secret to filling the small plunger grease gun is hand pack it full before its almost empty, push in hard on the plug cap fully consolidating the grease.

2 year ago I decided to never manually pump another grease gun, I gave away both of the ones I owned and bought a milwaukee m12 grease gun. No more sore hands when greasing tractors or new trailer hubs. Best 150 bucks ever spent.
The secret to filling the small plunger grease gun is hand pack it full before its almost empty, push in hard on the plug cap fully consolidating the grease.
Plus 1 on the milwaulkee

Grease guns are the bane of my existence. If they're not airlocked, then they're spooging out mounds of grease in my toolbox, and if they're not spooging out mountains of black moly grease in my toolbox, then they're doing a spring-loaded "money shot" of a pound of black grease onto my workbench when I try to refill or un-f$ck them. If I had a nickel for every HOUR I've spent fighting with grease guns ... or snow-shoveling mountains of grease out of my toolbox or off of my workbench into the trash can ... over the course of my life, I would be richer than Bill Gates.

After I got a backhoe, and needed to grease eleventy-bajillion zerk fittings on the hoe, I got the bright idea to buy grease in 5-gallon pails ("I'm saving MUNNY!") but unfortunately, most of that grease ends up in my toolbox, on the workbench, on my clothes, in my hair, on the seat of the truck, all over the washing machine, packed all up in my lug-soled boots (and then on the carpet)...I could go on.

Don't get me started. Grease guns are the spawn of SATAN.
Too funny. I’m cheap as the days is long and catch grease that you describe above in a trough. Then use the grease on log splitter slides,etc. still a giant pain that dang things leak. Expensive or cheap, don’t matter.

Since there has been a lot of conversation on regular grease guns I will give a few comments. Many years ago we had a guy dozing for us. Dad and I went to check on him and he was greasing with a Lincoln cordless gun. He talked about how much he loved it. Well my father went out and spent a huge amount on one. It was the biggest pile of poop I had ever seen. I could never get the air out of it. I swore I would never own one. Well of course cordless tools have evolved greatly. About 7 years ago I decided I would try another one since I had been hearing a lot of good things about them. Well I had some Milwaukee 18V tools and was pleased with them so I decided on Milwaukee. The majority of their guns were 12v and I already had plenty of 18v batteries and chargers so what would be the point of buying a 12v one. I bought a 18V bare gun. It seemed to work fine and I am pleased. As luck would have it though I should have bought the 12v set. It was not long after I bought the 18v one my mother-in-law won a heated carhartt coat at a trivia night contest. Well of course it took 12V Milwaukee batteries so my wife went out and bought batteries and a charger so our son could use the coat

I use Linclon hand grease guns with no issues.
Every piece of equipment has one in it,same as the heavy duty trucks.
Must have a dozen or more of them.
Run em empty, change the cartridge screw the top on a few threads release the plunger and tighten the top. Start greasing and repeat when empty.

I use Linclon hand grease guns with no issues.
Every piece of equipment has one in it,same as the heavy duty trucks.
Must have a dozen or more of them.
Run em empty, change the cartridge screw the top on a few threads release the plunger and tighten the top. Start greasing and repeat when empty.
I am sure they have gotten better over the years. If they have not they would not still be around

+1 on the Milwaukee 18v. I also have 4 Lincoln guns and a couple of no name. Lincoln guns work perfectly as does the M18, but the no name guns are a bunch of leaking messes which I don't use any longer.

I always thought that for bulk greasing of the backhoe, etc., that the way to go would be to buy 5-gal pails of grease and get one of those grease guns that attaches to the top of the 5-gallon bucket, and then get a handheld grease gun that you fill by pumping (or using a pneumatic pump) to transfer grease from the 5-gal pail into the grease gun through a zerk fitting...but a farmer/millwright friend of mine says they don't make those big grease guns that attach to the 5-gallon pails anymore. (I had the impression that the big pail-mounted grease guns didn't get airlocked.) Can anyone shed any light on any of this? All I know is that filling my handheld grease gun by using a big paint scraper to transfer grease from the bucket to the gun is very frustrating and prone to getting air bubbles in it...seems like I am FOREVER clearing airlocks from my grease gun...I also heard of a method of filling the gun by plunging the barrel of the gun down into the bucket of grease, and then sucking grease into it by pulling on the spring-loaded plunger, but I've never been able to get that to work.

Back