Great day cutting, and great find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennyl70

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Went out for what I was thinking would be the normal snatch and grab a dead tree here and there. I have done most all my cutting on my land this year.... though I have a wonderful neighbor that owns thousands of acres and has given me unlimited access to dead and fell trees on his land as well. He has logging done regularly and therefore tops are everywhere. 2 weeks ago I went over on some of the area I cut on him and found the power company cleaned some dead trees of the line rightaway and cut them in 4 foot lengths for me already yeeeeehaaaaa. So to day I went back to go alittle futher down the rightaway to see if there was more. I didn't go far.... didn't find any in the distance I went but what I found was great. Seems the area was logged a few years back and just a 100 yards off the line rightaway I found 4 big white oak tops....... 5 dead standing pine 60 foot tall. I worked must all it up in less than an hour due to the way the tops where laying. Dropped the 5 pine and cut them up. and when I took a water break I decided I was gonna walk alittle further back in the woods..... and BAM!!!!!!!!!!!! MOTHER LOAD. There was an area with tops everywhere...... was like I was given my very own propane company the way I felt at that moment, lol. anyway I didn't get it all to the house tonite.... but I did get 2 loads here. Best part is his land joins mine and I am working less than an eight mile from the house. I get in and out of his woods with my rancher and a 4x4 trailer that I haul 4 foot cord wood on. Cut it up when I get it home. Just wanted to share my excitement.... and wish you all some of my luck..........

Last edited:
Sound like an ideal situation you have there. Are you able to drive right up to all this wood? Wish I had my own land to cut on and manage. Again Pics please!!

I would hal all you can now when the mud gets here sit out there and make MO' FIREWOOD at the rate winter is going here (detroiter area) its gonna go cold/frozen, 3wks of mud, hotter then the blazes seems thats what happens every year we get a winter like this-No spring time.

Sound like an ideal situation you have there. Are you able to drive right up to all this wood? Wish I had my own land to cut on and manage. Again Pics please!!
Yeah can drive right to it with the 4 wheeler and trailer. have to cut little stuff out of the way to make a new road where to skidder had been. and pics will b coming

Hold on Hold on. pics will be coming lol. I went out today to chop a little road out to the new tops. when I was out there I realized...... forgot the dang camera.!!!! When I go to cutting again I will remember it for the proof lol. While I was out there I found a lot more trees down the logger cut and left laying. looked as though they was a little rot in the middle so he didn't want them after he fell um. oh well BONUS!!!!!!
Yes my neighbor is a great guy. He and his son own most the big tracks of land in the area and I have known them forever it seems. They burn wood also but with the amount of land they have it is impossible for them to keep up with all the dead and dying. since their land borders and we don't have nothing but an old down fence between us I asked them bout cutting and he said you don't have to ask just get at it. Great guy.
If everyone was like him then no one would have to worry bout where they get their wood ya know.
Anyway will get them pictures to you guys soon

You are doing your neighbor a big favor too. Cutting up those abandoned tops (and leaving remains close to the ground) reduces forest fire hazard. Of course that won't hurt your woods, either.

Latest posts

Back