Great Dealer (dumb me)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jra1100

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My Makita 6401 quit running a week or so ago, I put it down to move some wood out of the way and it would'nt start back up. I finished with another saw and went home. I pulled the filter, it was clean, and pulled the plug and checked for spark, there was spark. I decided to take it to my dealer over in Nashua IA. Leroys is a place that sells ATV's, Snowmobiles, Lawnmowers, Saws and more. When I walked in he asked what I had, and I told the story. Since it is about 20 miles he said "lets take a quick look, I'm not to busy right now". He tested compression and it was OK, so he looked at spark. He looked at the plug and said "I think I have it" the electrode was gone, totally gone. He replaced the plug and it started right up and ran like a champ. To say that I was embarrassed is understatement. It was pretty dark when I checked the spark, but not THAT dark. Now what makes Leroy a great dealer in my mind, other than taking a look at it right away and saving me a trip, is the fact that he after seeing how embarrassed I was said "hey I won't even begin to tell you about simpler things that I have missed over the years, if that is the worst thing you ever miss you will have a great life." His business is a wonderful place to stop at and shoot the bull and buy something.

Ya might want to find out where the missing electrode went. It will turn up eventually, but you may not like what it does between now and then......

Most of us have done dumb, dumber and dumberer things. We just aint tellin'. Anyway, it's nice to hear about good dealers.

probable the 'ground' electrode burnt off but spark could jump to whats left. to weak to start the saw under compression.

That's what Leroy said, he was concerned about the electrode to until he did a quick pull of the muffler. I forgot to add that. No sign of piston damage or the electrode. This didn't take much time at all, and he was only going to charge me 3.50 for labor. I had purchased some other things, and when I got the bill I adjusted it up a bit for the service and the quick solution. I would recommend him to anyone. I have tried to get him to check out AS, but he says he's "not much of a computer guy". I know for sure that it's not cause he isn't smart enough. JR

My Makita 6401 quit running a week or so ago, I put it down to move some wood out of the way and it would'nt start back up. I finished with another saw and went home. I pulled the filter, it was clean, and pulled the plug and checked for spark, there was spark. I decided to take it to my dealer over in Nashua IA. Leroys is a place that sells ATV's, Snowmobiles, Lawnmowers, Saws and more. When I walked in he asked what I had, and I told the story. Since it is about 20 miles he said "lets take a quick look, I'm not to busy right now". He tested compression and it was OK, so he looked at spark. He looked at the plug and said "I think I have it" the electrode was gone, totally gone. He replaced the plug and it started right up and ran like a champ. To say that I was embarrassed is understatement. It was pretty dark when I checked the spark, but not THAT dark. Now what makes Leroy a great dealer in my mind, other than taking a look at it right away and saving me a trip, is the fact that he after seeing how embarrassed I was said "hey I won't even begin to tell you about simpler things that I have missed over the years, if that is the worst thing you ever miss you will have a great life." His business is a wonderful place to stop at and shoot the bull and buy something.

That's what Leroy said, he was concerned about the electrode to until he did a quick pull of the muffler. I forgot to add that. No sign of piston damage or the electrode. This didn't take much time at all, and he was only going to charge me 3.50 for labor. I had purchased some other things, and when I got the bill I adjusted it up a bit for the service and the quick solution. I would recommend him to anyone. I have tried to get him to check out AS, but he says he's "not much of a computer guy". I know for sure that it's not cause he isn't smart enough. JR

Sounds like you got a great dealer and person. :clap:

Kevin

probable the 'ground' electrode burnt off but spark could jump to whats left. to weak to start the saw under compression.

Happened to me. Homey 360. Cutting, sudden RATTLE, I shut down. Couple pulls, no noise, compression, fired up one pull and finished the cut and shut down. No start after that. Pulled jug to find the electrode welded to the piston head and the piston ring grooves peened over. Jug okay but piston a lost cause.

How it managed to fire up after I shut it down the first time is a mystery.

Harry K

Don't know where it went

I was cutting and set it down and it wouldn't start. After I checked spark it tried to start several times but wouldn't go. After we looked in the muffler it was assumed that it got blown out after it fell off. Strange things happen inside of saws. JR

Most of us have done dumb, dumber and dumberer things. We just aint tellin'. Anyway, it's nice to hear about good dealers.
The other day I over-torqued the carb. onto the heat dam of a Ryobi/Homelite trimmer and warped/tore the heat dam as a result. This was after I closed the carb. up and realized that I'd forgotten to check the height of the metering lever. So, I've gotta replace the heat dam I destroyed and go back into the carb. for the metering lever, hoping the brand new gaskets and diaphragms will be kind enough not to stick.

Some days you just don't fire on all cylinders.:bday:

The other day I over-torqued the carb. onto the heat dam of a Ryobi/Homelite trimmer and warped/tore the heat dam as a result. This was after I closed the carb. up and realized that I'd forgotten to check the height of the metering lever. So, I've gotta replace the heat dam I destroyed and go back into the carb. for the metering lever, hoping the brand new gaskets and diaphragms will be kind enough not to stick.

Some days you just don't fire on all cylinders.:bday:

My worst one? Total overhaul on my Chev 6 PU engine years ago. Crank reground, oversize pisstons, etc. Put together and snapped off one bolt on the waterpump. Drilled it to use EZ out and managed to break off the drill bit in the bolt! Hours picking away at it with a dental pick before it finally came out. Sweat blood for a loooonngg time before I got the stub out.

Harry K

Back when I was a young budding mechanic in the early 60's A man brought a lawnmower to my shop in early May. He said he had it "winterized" at sears in October, (complete service, drain gas and run carb dry clean air filter, tune up change oil, sharpen blade and put away til spring.) When he tried to start it it would not start and he was a little upset. I checked the oil and air filter, and the fuel. I found the tank dry and put fresh fuel in it and gave it a pull. Fired right up on the second crank and ran great.

Moral of story: Every one does something dumb once in a while. always check the basics first and proceed logically. Never assume any thing.

Back when I was a young budding mechanic in the early 60's A man brought a lawnmower to my shop in early May. He said he had it "winterized" at sears in October, (complete service, drain gas and run carb dry clean air filter, tune up change oil, sharpen blade and put away til spring.) When he tried to start it it would not start and he was a little upset. I checked the oil and air filter, and the fuel. I found the tank dry and put fresh fuel in it and gave it a pull. Fired right up on the second crank and ran great.

Moral of story: Every one does something dumb once in a while. always check the basics first and proceed logically. Never assume any thing.

How did you happen to hear about me? 3 years ago I couldn't get my log splitter started. Plug really bad so off to town to buy a new one, installed, and pull, pull, pull, not a cough.

Hooked up and towed to town to the 'fix-it' shop. Unhooked and happened to look down and saw the plug wire laying innocently alonside the plug. Quick push onto the plug, one pull and running - looked up and the mechanic was watching me.

At least I am now old enough to plead "senior moment"

Harry K

Can you tell us what the Brand Name of the plug was?

Happened to me. Homey 360. Cutting, sudden RATTLE, I shut down. Couple pulls, no noise, compression, fired up one pull and finished the cut and shut down. No start after that. Pulled jug to find the electrode welded to the piston head and the piston ring grooves peened over. Jug okay but piston a lost cause.

How it managed to fire up after I shut it down the first time is a mystery.

Harry K

Can you tell us what the Brand Name of the plug was?

How did you happen to hear about me? 3 years ago I couldn't get my log splitter started. Plug really bad so off to town to buy a new one, installed, and pull, pull, pull, not a cough.

Hooked up and towed to town to the 'fix-it' shop. Unhooked and happened to look down and saw the plug wire laying innocently alonside the plug. Quick push onto the plug, one pull and running - looked up and the mechanic was watching me.

At least I am now old enough to plead "senior moment"

Harry K

I have senior moments, and I'm only a sophomore....:monkey:

I have senior moments, and I'm only a sophomore....:monkey:

Just wait. They'll go from senior moments to senior hours, senior days, senior weeks...you get the picture.

I spent half an hour looking for my favorite screwdriver yesterday. Finally gave up, climbed on the Cat, and it poked me right in the butt...it had been in my back pocket the whole time. :buttkick:

Back